Thread: Raven build so far

Default Raven build so far

Hi all,
    Part way through my 1st build, & thought i would try to send some photos,(if it works) any constructive critisim is welcome.
    What do you think so far?
    Steve
    http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x39/STEVE_GRESTY/

coming together nicely.

dont you find that progress seems very slow to begin with, then all of a sudden there's an acceleration and in no time at all, you have something tangible?

You will then find that everything slows down again as the finishing off seems to take an eternity.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Default You are so right!!

Hi Don,
    Yes i believe you are right, it seemed to take forever at 1st, and then suddenly the hull was born. I reckon i am only about 1/2 way through (if that). I am starting getting in to trouble off my little pet dragon, because i am eating & sleeping canoes 24/7 apparently "do whatever you want" does not mean 'yes dear go and build a canoe' I was trying to get into the water for the August Bank Holiday but that seems highly unlikely (unless of course i get pushed in off someone very close to my heart)
    Steve

That seems to be going together nicely.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Thumbs up

Looking good. Your pictures look oh so familiar to me.... A couple of questions:
    • Were you intending to use the buoyancy chamber for storage etc? I used some hatches for this but it is easier to drill these holes out before mounting the bulkhead panel as I found out...
    • The outwhales from your picture show a sharp edge. If you weren't already my advice is to bevel these edges off. See Willpower's post.
    When do you hope to have it (her?) finished?
    Gibbo.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Default Raven Build

Hi Gibbo
    The outwales & inwales will be rounded off along the entire length, & the outwales will be tapered to a narrower section at both ends.
    I have not decided yet as to storage in the bulkheads, cutting the holes should not be a problem, as i have full access to various hole cutting euipment through work (I am a group technical manager for a large timber importers). If I do decided to use them for storage, what did you use for your hatch?
    Steve

Looking good!

You do really want the hatches in the end compartments - it's quite important to be able to let the compartments dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by TOPTEC View Post
    Hi Gibbo
    The outwales & inwales will be rounded off along the entire length, & the outwales will be tapered to a narrower section at both ends.
    I have not decided yet as to storage in the bulkheads, cutting the holes should not be a problem, as i have full access to various hole cutting euipment through work
    Wish I had. It sometimes felt like I was carving it out with a Stanley knife.

If I do decided to use them for storage, what did you use for your hatch?
    Steve

I got mine from a US supplier and had them picked up by a colleague who was visiting our head office in the US. RWO do some, all you have to do is decide colour and size.
    Gibbo.
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Default Raven Build

Hi Gibbo,
    I noticed you have installed keels, does this affect it's turning ability? I can't remember if they are optional on the plans.
    Steve
    P.S. Thanks to all so far for thier input so far

Quote Originally Posted by TOPTEC View Post
    Hi Gibbo,
    I noticed you have installed keels, does this affect it's turning ability?
    Yes, quite a lot when I compare it against the Pyranha that I paddle on club nights. I can't turn it on it's axis but it does track extremely well.

I can't remember if they are optional on the plans.

I think the centre one is called for but the outer two are optional. I only really put them on to stop the "oil canning" but if I did another build I might consider putting nothing on at all, or maybe just the centre one or, a centre one on the inside . The dims in case you wondered for all keels are 15 x 15mm.
    Gibbo.

Looking great...

As mentioned before it seems like ages before you have anything tangible, then all of a sudden things look very exciting. We have been slowed a little on the build of the 'Wye Knot' as we've been on holiday, but the intention is to work out the centre seat tonight and buoyancy tanks with inspection hatches tomorrow. Then a second coat of resin on the hull for protection and loads more varnish, basically until the tin is finished. Maybe we'll be ready for bank holiday monday

Default Raven Build

Thanks Justyn,
    I was hoping for a bank holiday launch, but don't think that's fessible now. Good luck with your's though, hope it's a good day for you both, looks like your canoe is comming along just fine.
    Regards
    Steve

Hi,

Your Raven is looking very nice, I particularly like your inwales. I use my bulkheads for storage and find them quite useful. I Keep a feww items like my baler and some spare rope etc. in them permanently. I use hatches from SWO which seem fine although they can sometimes be a bit tight to open. Lubricating them with vaseline seems to have done the trick though.

Matt

Default Raven Build

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the comment, I plan to use RWO hatches also, I like the paint job on your canoe. Have you painted over the epoxy? & if so what undercoat / top coat did you use? any problems with it?
    Steve

Thanks, I based it on patterns I found on the internet of Native American designs. I also adapted some inuit petroglyphs of a killer whale and a thunderbird to put in the circles.

I have just used standard exterior paint from B&Q, painted over the epoxy, as suggested in the plans. However, it's not terribly tough and might suggest using a two pack or something a bit tougher. Especially if you intend to paint on areas which will take a bit of a bashing.

Matt