Thread: Canoe camping Norfolk Broads??

Talking Canoe camping Norfolk Broads??

HI
    I am loving this site. I've only been on it for a few days and already my head is spinning with big ideas of even bigger trips in the canoe. It seems to me that canoe campingis in its infancy in the UK. There are camp sites and water ways but the two things seem to rarely meet up. I recently canoed the River Wye with a great bunch of people and the camp sites were ok but few and far between. Onelittle trip I have in mind is a week of exploring the lesser well know areas of the Norfolk Broads such as Martham. Ideally, I like the idea of loading up, paddling for a day and then camping on the banks for a nigh or two and then paddling off again. The problem is that there are almost no campsites with access to the water. Has anyone done a trip like this on the Broads and if so how did you do it? How would I go about identifying farmers and asking them if I can camp on their land? Is it ever worth just risking it and hoping that noone moves you on at 2am?
    If anyone is up for helping toorganise a winter or autumn trip to the Broads, then let me know.
    JonathanW

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post
    HI
    I am loving this site. I've only been on it for a few days and already my head is spinning with big ideas of even bigger trips in the canoe. It seems to me that canoe campingis in its infancy in the UK. There are camp sites and water ways but the two things seem to rarely meet up. I recently canoed the River Wye with a great bunch of people and the camp sites were ok but few and far between. Onelittle trip I have in mind is a week of exploring the lesser well know areas of the Norfolk Broads such as Martham. Ideally, I like the idea of loading up, paddling for a day and then camping on the banks for a nigh or two and then paddling off again. The problem is that there are almost no campsites with access to the water. Has anyone done a trip like this on the Broads and if so how did you do it? How would I go about identifying farmers and asking them if I can camp on their land? Is it ever worth just risking it and hoping that noone moves you on at 2am?
    If anyone is up for helping toorganise a winter or autumn trip to the Broads, then let me know.
    No takers here is see so it lools like you'll have to blaze the trail for the rest of us. I have friends who live in Martham so I'll ask them if they know anything. If they do I'll get back to you.
    Pete.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Default Broads Campsites!

Hi Jonathan

The Broads does lack campsites even away from the water. I know of only two on the northern Broads, one at Thurne village and the the other at Repps near Potter! Although these two are not directly on the waters edge, they are both very close to put-ins! I will do some research myself while I`m there next week so will let you know what I find.

We plan to make a winter trip to the Broads early next year, there really is no better time to see the place (assuming its not iced over)!

Nige.

Default Winter on the Broads

Winter is the best time... we were out on the Yare last Sunday... yobbos, water skiers, lots of power boats... we still enjoyed ourselves, but come October, we'll have the place virtually to ourselves... especially lovely at dusk, and padding in the moonlight...

There is a campsite at Bungay and another on the Stour at Wissington...

Arrow Norfolk on a whim....................

Norfolk Broards needs a good look around and you will be supprised where you can canoe/camp....... we had a great time last year and ran 2 trips taking in the two Broards "Barton" and the "Wroxham" from which there are two perfectly good rivers to be had. IF! you can put up with the mele of KNO------s that take up half the rivers cos they dont know how to navigate!! Really though we had several good trips on the Bure/ ANT/ and several back waters that I'm keeping close to my chest, as they were perfect for wild life,cruising and the likes,good pubs and hospitable areas to camp. Pity there was only a sextet on the water as then the rest would know all about it, and where it was. We have os maps and there legal!!............OH yes the winter is great for paddling and numbness

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    No takers here is see so it lools like you'll have to blaze the trail for the rest of us. I have friends who live in Martham so I'll ask them if they know anything. If they do I'll get back to you.
    Pete.
    Spoke with my friends and they said the site was near Clippesby. I had a quick look on google earth but couldn't see any signs of a campsite though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmacsoftee View Post
    Hi Jonathan

The Broads does lack campsites even away from the water. I know of only two on the northern Broads, one at Thurne village

Nige.
    I read somewhere that the Thurne site is adults only, it is however very close to the river.
    Pete.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Default Thurne campsite

Hi, we stayed in the broads in early July.

There are two sites in/near Thurne.

We stayed at woodside farm http://www.woodside-farm.co.uk/index.htm
    Its a lovely little site, quiet and flat. It isn't particularly close to the water though.
    There is a staithe in Thurne but I don't think there are any public moorings, but I'm sure you could sneak in with a canoe.

The other campsite is just before thurne, near to Oby. According to the map this one is near a staithe.

Map Ref TG 402 152 (OS Outdoor Leisure 40)

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Spoke with my friends and they said the site was near Clippesby. I had a quick look on google earth but couldn't see any signs of a campsite though.

I read somewhere that the Thurne site is adults only, it is however very close to the river.
    Pete.
    http://www.clippesby.com/index.asp

Nice site! I just got back form the Broads and lots of potential for wild camping etc, hammock would be best as a lot of the grounds boggy! Good opportunities on the Dilham canal section.

Nigel
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Default campsites that i know of

On the waters edge:
    waveney river centre, burgh st peter,
    outney meadow, bungay
    reedham
    Near the water:
    Clippsby hall
    woodside farm, thurne
    burgh castle near yarmouth
    Willowcroft, repps
    hope this helps
    I don't know what I want but I want it now!

I live in a village just outside of Norwich.

Default Broads trip

Hi there, I live in norfolk, and have been kayaking for a while and treated myself to a canoe recently. I dont know alot about paddling on the broads i must admit, but would be very interested in meeting up for a paddle if you get a trip sorted. I would be happy to contribute whatever is needed and help with logistics where required.

not quite the broads, but theres a great site at st neots that banks onto the river, and gives access to miles of waterways. we went there the other year, and i instantly regretted not taking my canoe, as there were miles and miles of waterways to explore.

also the caravan and campoing club has a canoe camping section.

but would be very interested in meeting up for a paddle if you get a trip sorted
    Tempting Norfolkboy, very tempting. Unfortunately to many planned trips elsewhere at the mo! Most probably, more than likely we will be down on numerous occassions next year though, so will be more than happy to hook up! I`ve always wanted to do a trip in the early part of the year, so will keep you posted!

Nige.

Default broads camping

Theres a caravan/campsite on the bank of the river chet in Loddon, a tributary to the river yare, there is also a patch of grass next to the bank of the river yare opposite the sugar beet factory at Cantley.

If you go to quiet areas that aren't built up, chances are you can fid somewhere to pitch a tent or sleep in a bivvy bag.

I like the original posters premise (yes I know I'm resurrecting an old thread) and love the idea of touring by water, mixing perhaps camping wild or sited, and waterside B and B...............
    Last year managed to explore Dilham/Ant and Barton Broad by day tripping from an excellent quiet site at Dilham, but would love to do more of the Broads (I will in any case!) by touring and tipping up somewhere at the end of the day???

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    not quite the broads, but theres a great site at st neots that banks onto the river, and gives access to miles of waterways. we went there the other year, and i instantly regretted not taking my canoe, as there were miles and miles of waterways to explore.

also the caravan and campoing club has a canoe camping section.
    any idea which site this is please

Some years ago I met at Potter Heigham, a guy with a well laden kevlar we no nah. He told me he had been touring for some days camping on the Broads Agency moorings that are scattered away from the centres on river banks and round the broads. No one had moved him on, or been unpleasant.

Impcanoe

There are 2 proximal to St Neots....one is a C and C site. A bit intense but with facilities and excellent river access. 5 minutes walk from town.......

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    There are 2 proximal to St Neots....one is a C and C site. A bit intense but with facilities and excellent river access. 5 minutes walk from town.......
    ok, but which is the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    ok, but which is the other one?
    I'd have to do a Google search, it might......? have Meadow in the name? I'm sure you could do a quicjk search for riverside campsites near St Neots/Huntingdon

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    any idea which site this is please
    For sites on the Broads, recommend "Norfolk Broads Canoe and Kayak Guide"
    by Steve Maloney, ISBN978-1-906095-53-6,Pesda press.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    I'd have to do a Google search, it might......? have Meadow in the name? I'm sure you could do a quicjk search for riverside campsites near St Neots/Huntingdon
    Possibly one of these???...
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ri...ingdon&ie=&oe=