Thread: A Quick Whizz down the Welland

Default A Quick Whizz down the Welland

As I parked the car at Ashley on the Welland yesterday lunchtime it occurred to me that the outer hills of the valley looked like Teletubbie Land with the softly rounded slopes - all it needed was for Hippo to turn up in his purple onesie ...... try to get that image out of your mind!

As we leave Ashley Bridge it is apparent that it's a Last of the Summer Wine themed afternoon - I didn't get the memo

We like the stretch from Ashley to Cottingham...........

We shouldn't like the stretch from Cottingham to Rockingham as it's two miles of ...........

.......but we find it strangely addictive to get scratched to pieces and the sheer variety of insects that drop down your neck is amazing.

But if you were to ask Hippo for the absolute highlight of the day it would be finding a second plastic bucket under the first one - the excited gasp and yelp of delight was the sort of thing I'd reserve for when I found that the blonde from Abba had brought her sister along too

It's like paddling with a Womble at times - it was also like paddling under three seasons in one sky at times too

The stretch from Rockingham to Gretton is a little more user friendly

It's not quite at the stage where I need to alert the authorities but an overwhelming desire to liberate the soul of a lump of tree jammed at a sluice, along with the bucket obsession, is bringing the day closer

Separating us from the shuttle car at Gretton is the 1.5m fish ladder the EA have installed to help eels wiggle upstream

Compo conducts a dynamic risk assessment

With a bit of gardening the Mad River 14 slips down the fish ladder

Now, apart from it being a rare appearance on camera of me, you see a man realising that the Wenonah 15 Prospector is too fat to follow suit and is trying to look all nonchalant for the benefit of the cars that have stopped to look - Nothing to see here citizens - all part of the plan!

Where there's a will and all that...

Thankfully I've got better things to do than Photoshop Hippo's face onto a Teletubbie but it does look like the Welland Valley to me!

We wish you all well from La La Land,

Dick & Compo/TinkieWinkie/Hippo
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

There are some impressive clouds in the blogg. Quite the range of weather. I was expecting to see more Hippo magnet fishing in his wombling or is he clearing the rubbish on the surface before clearing the depths? I’ve been told I’m not allowed to buy a magnet for fishing as apparently I already accumulate enough “junk”
    John

Another trip so soon, you are spoiling us.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I’ve been told I’m not allowed to buy a magnet for fishing as apparently I already accumulate enough “junk”
    Oh dear, that's not how you go about it. You buy the magnet, then say "this old thing? I've had it for ages" just like they do with shoes and handbags.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Where you Cleg or Foggy?

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Where you Cleg or Foggy?
    In the evening you can call me Nora Batty!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Another mad adventure on the Welland.
    Love reading about them, have not added the river to my to-do list.

Nick

Not the wrinkled stockings!? Please NO!

Keep 'em coming chaps...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Fantastic, highlight of my day is reading your blogs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectacular sky indeed! More fine ditchiness from the drain masters
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.