Thread: Oddest thing you've found in your freezer or cupboard?

Default Oddest thing you've found in your freezer or cupboard?

I've just found three shrink-wrapped rats in my freezer

Mrs Ginger-Paddler is a high school biology teacher and apparently they are for feeding Jango, her school's 5-foot-long corn snake.

Can you trump that with something weirder you've found in your own freezer or cupboard?

Better still, any photos?
    Robbie & Steph

Used to keep my gloves and camelbac bladder in the freezer when I raced enduros (stops them getting too stinky) and of course bike wheelbearings to make fitting easier.

I also had a bread-tray with a dozen woodpigeon for use as decoys, they would be thawed and re-frozen many times before they just got too manky, fly-blown and stinky to consider using again.

I can't claim this one for myself but Davy90 oft recalls the time he found bat wings in his freezer, thanks to Mrs Davy90's family bringing them over to her as a delicacy from her native Indonesia.

Like byt, the Camelbak is often in the freezer, possibly alongside some tubes of Stormsure.

One of my kitchen cupboards is entirely full of old slide photos and unused and possibly broken, photography gear. My wardrobe is 70% a camping store, and my airing cupboard has a toolbox & stuff in it (convenient spot in the hall!).
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

One would also find Platypus bladders (not literally!) in my freezer, probably with an old tube of Stormsure. There was a time when power tool batteries lived there too, when I was testing some old wives' tale about bringing them back to life by freezing (didn't work). Not exactly spectacular finds, I agree, but I had a friend who kept reptiles and his freezer contained all manner of tiny frozen mammalian bodies.

Freezer - Small collection of fur and feathers used for making fishing flies....
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Cupboard - a swarm of bees

They got their through a blocked up chimney

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not my home freezer, but many years ago whilst defrosting, for the first time in many years a large walk in one at work , many mice, rats and even a small dog appeared from the foot thick permafrost. Some of the things that appeared could not even be identified.

That same job, we used to offer a chemical disposal service to local schools. We were called into a secondary school who had found a cracked glass container at the back of a store room, containing a large brown crusty lump. On arrival we rapidly ascertained that it was a lump of potassium about a kilo in weight which had been stored in oil which had luckily formed an air proof seal before the glass container was broken. We carefully extracted it, and took it back to work where we very unsafely destroyed it.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Way back in the dim and distant past when school science classrooms allowed small kiddies access to concentrated acids and mouth operated pipettes, my mother - and industrial chemist by training, had a job as the school lab technician.

She started by conducting an inventory - lets find out what we have - and take a guess at what's missing.

In the , locked, "Acid Cupboard" she found not just the winchesters of strong acid but also the entire school supply of cyanide salts - what a happy mixture.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Freezer:
    Then - mice and day old chicks for hawks. I was a falconer when I had more time and a more understanding household.
    Now - bees. These are samples en route to the lab for 'the day job'.

Cupboard:
    Money - I think I've found some once in a cupboard ... I've searched for it many, many times.

DougR ... there are many (hopefully apocryphal, but probably not) tales of unsuspected Cobalt-60 or similar sealed radioactive sources being 'discovered' when clearing out the cupboards or storerooms of physics, biology or medicine departments.
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach
    https://www.sunartdiaries.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    DougR ... there are many (hopefully apocryphal, but probably not) tales of unsuspected Cobalt-60 or similar sealed radioactive sources being 'discovered' when clearing out the cupboards or storerooms of physics, biology or medicine departments.
    Sadly, not all are apocryphal. I have found amongst other things Ni63 sources (old GC electron capture detectors), yellow cake and some extremely interesting toxins left over after early surface plasmon resonance development work for the MOD. I have however also worked in a lab. where the health and safety officer refused to allow us to hold more than 50g of Sodium Chloride. I did enquire if the same rule applied to the canteen, but she didn't understand.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she said she opened the door to the fridge in her work and found a thumb. She did work in a hospital, but it still gave her a shock.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

My late mother and father were quite frugal, did not let go of things unnecessarily. After Mom passed in 2012 we were cleaning out her deep freeze and found many carefully labeled packages that were still mysterious. "Hen Drippings 2008," and "Prepared Poke Salad 1994." (For those of you not from around here, poke is a roadside weed that tastes vaguely like turnip greens) Their house was quite roomy, but for reasons known only to them the deep freeze was in their den, next to Mom's writing desk and across from Dad's overstuffed chair. In the freezer door, under several quarts of frozen poke salad, was 6,900 dollars cash, wrapped in napkins and sealed in plastic bags. Didn't want it to get freezer burned I suppose. We showed it to Dad, and he didn't say anything, just eased up out of his big chair and shuffled off down the hall. I figured he'd have been more excited. But a few minutes later he came back in and handed me a hundred dollar bill and said "Here. Now it's an even 7,000. Put it back." And it was still there five years later when Dad passed. Mom's mad money. He had another couple thousand in his sock drawer.