Thread: It's Been 16 years, and 9 Weeks Since!

Default It's Been 16 years, and 9 Weeks Since!

It's Been 16 Years, and 9 Weeks Since!
    Sixteen years have somehow slipped by since the last time that I had the opportunity to canoe-fish Molesey lock, and another 9 weeks just recently, before I have been able to wet a paddle once again, after recently undergoing a surgeons knife for a routine operation...Grrrrgh!

Back on my feet now though.....with both paddles in hand!

Carp fishing by canoe, possibly a first,on the Thames at Molesey Lock in 2003...

That was 16 years ago....

This was just 2 days ago, and a recce for a possible Autumn/Winter Canoe Pike Fly Fishing Campaign! (...and possibly, another first!?)

So, putting in at Hurst Park in Molesey, West London...
    All is looking good, though probably a tad too hot for any decent fishing that day....still, who's complaining? It was a lovely afternoon!

I was back on the river once again , and things were once again sweet. I could feel the stress of 'my everyday life' just seep out of all of my pores, as I paddled downstream...Relief!

Maybe if I just lived on a houseboat? (I doubt it though, it's all getting a bit crowded even in this neck of the woods! )

Heading down to the weir...

...and in case you were wondering...the crate, also there as forward ballast, contains my kitchen wannigan and a recently purchased Robens Firebox all ready for a lunchtime cook-up of Bratwurst hot dogs & BBQ Beans with some pickled sliced red onions to garnish!

Unfortunately, all my timings went to rats...and I ended up doing this planned cook-out in my back garden when I got home.... such is life!

At the lock....
    I was pleased to find a roller system, that would be of great advantage in the winter months when the lock operating hours are reduced. This recce of mine today is all about the coming months and fishing for Pike when the temperature drops and maybe with a bit of luck there's some frost on the ground.....and then it'll be just perfect for paddling, and Pike!

One day, when nobodies looking I may just jump in the boat at this stage and shout "Whahaye!" ...and ride it on in!

In the mean time though , I'll just have to behave and act my age.....
    This young lass was heading through at a rapid rate of knots and when asked how her day was going, replied that this was her escape from the kids! - She was a fast paddler!
    (Hampton Court Bridge in the distance...)

Hanging hard left now, it's time for some serious business...

Time now to recce that weir, depth check it here and there and have a good old butchers!

Before moving upstream...
    and ditto.

Whilst making a note....

Of any other areas of significant interest...that might hold a decent Pike or two or even maybe a decent Perch, Zander or Chub that may be tempted out by an artificial fly? (Terry Young, are your hackles up yet? )

With a mind now boggling at all future possibilities, and the recce now complete, it was time now to high tail it home.....
    With one last look at Hampton Court Bridge, and all that lays below for a good days paddle out, I had very much to scoot, as time for me that day was rapidly running out.

So, the short-cut through the lock was much appreciated!
    Getting there at the right time, is all just a matter of timing!

Whereas, slipping into something very much slimy, and very much green and stinky...
    Is not every bodies cup of tea !

Still, as the Patterdale Paddler would say in a situation such as this : "It's Onwards and Upwards!" ...and I'll second that!

Before the diesel fumes get me!

Above the lock now on the return journey it was all going a little Miami-ish here!
    Even though I didn't quite capture the pic that I was initially after (which would have been shot just 10ft back between the two boats above, capturing the palm trees fully and the Chinese restaurant perfectly from a different angle) I'm sure now you get the gist of it! (I just saw a better picture of this, but fluffed it up!)

It may have been Miami-ish on one side of the river, but it was certainly downtown LA on the other side!
    The things you see on the water huh!

It was great to get out once again and wet my paddles, and now, once again happily somewhat fighting fit, I'm looking forward to some new adventures... not too far from home!

With a Mexican Evening springing to mind straight away! - Yaribba, Yaribba!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 18th-September-2019 at 02:15 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Awesome stuff.

Superb !

lovely to the that part of the world outside eastertime. and with lots of pics that i will not make when paddling there at Easter.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

The usual comment regarding the rollers is that they don't roll. Seem unlikley that the Environment Agency who are failing to move on illegal moorere in the area have had time the free the rollers up.

Really good to see you out on the water again mate!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Looks like a lovely day to be out on the water. Shame you missed the cook out, I was looking forward to seeing another one of your memorable feasts!
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Great to see you back out. Must be well over 16 years since I’ve fished for pike. With a rod anyway

When I was young we fished for them in the local canal. Either spinning or using boned herring as dead bait. I’ve never fly fished for anything but I’ve always had romantic ideas about trying it.
    John

What on earth is that thing in the last photo? I used to fly fish for pike on Granchester Meadows. A really fun way to catch them.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

An e-foil board. I had a chat with a surfboard maker a while back about these. Apparently they can do close to 20mph so plenty of potential for spectacular dismount - think floating log! Expensive bits of kit but the propulsion unit is available as a kit so possible to build your own. Anyone for trialing a couple bolted to the bottom of a light canoe? Google 'liftfoils' if interested.

Rob

You can eat your dinner in a fancy restaurant

Hi mark good to see your up and about again, what length and weight rod would you use fly fishin a pike?

Lennart,
    Your English, under the circumstances, appears a lot better than mine, at any time of the day fella!

Impcanoe,
    As you said, only a few of those rollers there actually rolled on the day, and the only rocker that was there... was me! - My canoe now has all the scratches to show, and all I need now is the T- shirt to prove it!

Robin (Broadsman).
    Here's 'back home in the garden cookin' when you run out of time on the river ...delivered now on some battered old enamel and better late than never!....

I'm sure this would have tasted a lot better had I had the the chance/time to fire this lot up beside the water......

So, I'll just put this one down to practice, and that's all!

John,
    You gotta' try some fly-fishing for Pike, from a canoe, in your neck of the woods, those nearby Lochs must hold some veritable leviathans!
    Not too sure if the whole concept is romantic or not though...as it hasn't exactly been the experience that I've had over the years, but who knows what the future holds.....?

You never know how our luck might change!

Adrian Cooper,
    Just loved your reply!
    It took me a while to work it out though. But not too soon after noting that all the flowers in my back yard had died....and then I got it! - Brilliant!

Right, who's next!?

Fletch, Me Old Mucka!
    How you doing fella? I't's good to hear from you once again.
    The rods a 9ft 6" 11/12 wgt Tarpon rod, a bit heavy for UK Pike maybe, but it handles so well when used from a canoe for Thames Pike. Esp. near weirs, I love it. But, if your're casting all day, prepare for some arm ache by the end of that day! -

MB Back on the River
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 20th-September-2019 at 01:11 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Hey Jonah, do you ever keep up with any of the Sqn guys? There's a whole FB page that keeps everyone up to speed. A lot of the guys have headed over to Arnhem for the 75th anniversary of Market Garden. Anyway, if you don't do FB but do want to say hi to anyone then let me know.

Most of the Pike (Jack) here are caught on a spinner but these things regularly get over 20lbs. I know a few guys who have caught them on a fly but it still isn't the main MO for catching them. I think I might get a fly rod for next year. I think it might be more fun.

My dad was at Arnhem

Looks good from here!
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    My dad was at Arnhem
    Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Hey Jonah, do you ever keep up with any of the Sqn guys? There's a whole FB page that keeps everyone up to speed. A lot of the guys have headed over to Arnhem for the 75th anniversary of Market Garden. Anyway, if you don't do FB but do want to say hi to anyone then let me know.

Most of the Pike (Jack) here are caught on a spinner but these things regularly get over 20lbs. I know a few guys who have caught them on a fly but it still isn't the main MO for catching them. I think I might get a fly rod for next year. I think it might be more fun.
    Very much appreciated Mr. T & will get back to you ASAP....

Just bear with me for a mo..

Jonah, 2 Troop

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    My dad was at Arnhem
    You failed to mention that very important fact to me when I first met you at the SotP Big Meet at Bala Lake in 2014 ....Just before you got me half-drowned on that 'controlled river' north of the lake...I can take a hint you know!

I haven't progressed any further, as far as paddling goes, since that day, but have progressed somewhat on my love of outdoor cooking. Some, may of course differ to that opinion, naturally, 'but I pushed on!'

I was Airborne Forces for the majority of my military service between 1979 & 1992....and it taught me as lot, and I met some great men along the way...most of which who inspired me.
    Two of which I will never forget, when I was 18 or 19 and indestructible & unstoppable, or so that I thought...with many a few days spent in the glasshouse afterwards with that particular attitude! - We'll call that character building!

The two in question, were two Arnhem Veterans who were guests of Honour at our Squadron Bar. The 9 Parachute Squadron Royal Engineers Bar, at Rhine Barracks, Montgomery Lines in Aldershot circa. 1981..A bar at the time well known for it's debauchery, well- well after hours drinking and the non-stop Marty Robbins soundtracks! - What more would an 18-19yr old Para Engineer need at the time!?

Sorry, I digress somewhat...

The two lads from Arnhem told me their stories as the daylight broke, and it shivered me to the bone. In an instant I was sober once again..I'll never forget it!

A good few years later I came home from the Falklands War and an Arnhem Veteran shook my hand & said "You done us proud boy!".....I broke down in tears.

This week-end the tears came back once again as I thought of all those at Arnhem...

MB
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 22nd-September-2019 at 12:39 AM.

bobt,
    Many thanks for bearing with me for a mo there Bro!

As I just had to hit the pause button, as the last time that I heard someone say that their father was at Arnhem was in C Block, (Arnhem Barracks) 3 Troop lines... as the alcohol was running low and girl friends were being hid in lockers as the Royal Military Police were storming in.....

They bust my locker open...as I nonchalantly looked on, then they all stared at me....

"Hey, that's the cleaner, I told her her to go home hours ago!"

Can't remember quite what happened after that, apart from some 5 days in jail.. and then being happily married to that cleaner ever after......must be coming up for some 40yrs now!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    bobt,
    Many thanks for bearing with me for a mo there Bro!

As I just had to hit the pause button, as the last time that I heard someone say that their father was at Arnhem was in C Block, (Arnhem Barracks) 3 Troop lines... as the alcohol was running low and girl friends were being hid in lockers as the Royal Military Police were storming in.....

They bust my locker open...as I nonchalantly looked on, then they all stared at me....

"Hey, that's the cleaner, I told her her to go home hours ago!"

Can't remember quite what happened after that, apart from some 5 days in jail.. and then being happily married to that cleaner ever after......must be coming up for some 40yrs now!
    LOL. Great times. Glad your Gal worked out for ya

It's obviously getting late now,....

But, what I failed to mention above, was the fact that the lad that who had mentioned that his father was also at Arnhem... our cook, as he spoke there in C Block that day, to a bunch of us young recently qualified British Paratroopers... who's jaws were now agape in anticipation of the exploits and heroism of his father that day....told us then that his father was in the 9th SS Panzer Division that day! - I can still remember the silence from that night!

Over the years since, I've met a Welshmen working in the Persian Gulf, Das Island, who's father was U Boat Commander...and have seen pictures of him with the Japanese re-supplying the boat....

It's a strange old world we live in eh?

Tonight though, for me and many others, it's hat's off to all those that fought & died at Arnhem....and the stoic resilience of the Dutch!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Amen

An 11/12 weight for pike in the land of UK - that's going armed and ready! I couldn't cast that for any length of time at all, being a saltwater lad.

I don't UK flyfish at all (well, as near as makes no difference), but I think I'd be using the nine weight I use for Permit. I sold my 10 and 12-weights long ago as they just weren't getting used.

After posting I went and checked that rod again....and it's actually rated at 10/11 wgt. Still a tad heavy I would agree, and as said earlier, be prepared for some arm ache at the end of the day if casting all day with this particular beast!

However, it's power does come into it's own, when you latch on to a Thames River Pike....they are ferocious! (I have over the years, spent many hours fishing for Pike, in still-waters from the bankside, with several memorable captures along the way. None of which compare to any of the power & ferocity shown by my river Pike captures!)

I've fished with bait, fly, lure & 'underwater by spear' both powered & un-powered on several continents around the globe in my time (...and I'm still just as happy catching a decent Perch from the local Basingstoke Canal! )

Once lost a good Philippino work colleague to a Skipjack Tuna, that drowned him, and then got pretty close to loosing 2 other good work mates, when they jointly speared a 87kg Trevally Jack at the bottom of an oil rig in the Persian Gulf, some 20yrs ago now...I'll save that story for another camp-fire gathering!

Also, had some nice Sailfish whilst drifting live baits 6ft below an empty Massafi water bottle somewhere not too far off the Iranian coast! Whilst standing on the stern-roller of a DSV (Dive Support Vessel).

My point here? I'm now not sure.

But, I would suggest, even strongly recommend, that you try a little Pike Fly Fishing from a Canoe in the UK. Even if just in preparation for that next blistering Bonefish run that you get!

Back home...

A big fly for a small fish!

Just don't under estimate their ferocity and power!

MB

Robin,
    How about this?
    My Halloween 'Heart-Attack' Chilli Dog Royales...with Cheese! (Just add Jalapenos & Bacon bits for a Mexican evening! )
    Another fine recipe from....

Chef Bonar... AKA Colonel Mustard!

To be found in a bargain bucket near you, real soon... 'Chef Bonars' Big Book of Camp Fire Recipes and...Other Such Disasters!' (They'll pay YOU to take it away! )
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 22nd-September-2019 at 08:26 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    You failed to mention that very important fact to me when I first met you
    My father died when I was 10 years old and he never told me anything about his time on the war, I suppose i felt it was his story to tell. He was REME so probably not on the blunt end of weaponry. My mother told how he used to rant at the TV because they got it all wrong, why don't you stop watching if it upsets you, but he wanted to see what else they got wrong. The only thing I remember which was related was when he put on a uniform to go to reunion meetings with a friend. We had one photo of him in uniform and only a few others.

Adrian,
    Your father must have been Airborne REME, from what I gather here, and would have very much been in the thick of it without doubt!

During the Falklands War in 1982, when the 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment attacked Mount Longdon on the 11th -13th of June that year, one of those lost on that hill was Craftsman A. SHAW. of the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers....the REME, and very much in the thick of it!......and if I recall rightly at the time, bravely moving ammunition & rockets forward.

Totally understand how your Dad felt, though my war was just minuscule in comparison to his experience, when I got home I also 'threw a wobbler' when I got home to Bristol & listened to the dribble & lies on the TV! - I punched the TV off it's stand! .....My mum wasn't too much impressed with that!

....So then, decided to tell me about her time in Budapest & Trieste as a young girl helping Jewish refugees... escape from the Nazis! - That shut me up!

I digress once again this evening...

Adrian,
    You may be able to find out a little more about your father & his exploits if you tap into Para Data

With The Very Best of Regards,

Mark
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 24th-September-2019 at 12:39 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>