Thread: Route in Wales with Camping

Default Route in Wales with Camping

Hi folks,

I'm quite new to the forum & relatively new to kayaking. I am looking for suggestions please for a route in Wales that is not too technical (possibly grade1) with some easy weirs. We want to paddle for the day & then have 1 nights camping at the end of the day. We are looking to do this towards the end of this month / early October.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,
    Martyn.

Cant go wrong with the Wye. How many nights are you planning to camp?
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

I'd second the Wye, though technically we're talking England as I'd launch at Whitney Toll Bridge, and paddle to Byecross Farm for that overnight. You'll need to book a taxi for the return if you don't have two vehicles, speak to the campsite for suggestions.

In Wales itself, most of the rivers likely to have suitable camping will probably be more of a whitewater trip. The Usk, for example, has modest whitewater from Brecon to Talybont, but its more than I'd recommend for a first trip with camping gear.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Gents.

I like the sound of the Wye. Just camping the one night following paddling. We will be taking 2 vehicles so I guess we can park one at Byecross Farm Campsite & the other near Whitney Toll Bridge.

Thanks again. Martyn.

Whilst not a river, so not exactly what you're looking for, the Monmouth to Brecon canal is a lovely place to be.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Whilst not a river, so not exactly what you're looking for, the Monmouth to Brecon canal is a lovely place to be.
    Indeed it is. I was there last weekend. Pencelli Farm campsite is very good.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle