Thread: chichester harbour advice pls

Default chichester harbour advice pls

I shall be in the Dell Quay area in a couple of weeks, and wondered what it has to offer an old paddler who needs fairly easy access. From the O.S. map it looks a bit muddy as the tide recedes ! I will probably just take the SoT rather than my canoe.

Any comments would be much appreciated

Many thanks,

Ancient Mariner (and getting more ancient as the days pass !)
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure. (Mark Twain)

I've never actually launched at Dell Quay, and though I have paddled past numerous times, I can't remember what the launch looked like.

I would, though, say that it doesn't get much easier than further down at West Itchenor "Hard". The solid pebble beach can be driven on to to drop off your boat, though you do then have to move it a few minutes walk away to the main car park up the street. There is also a launch fee, which can be paid along with the parking fee in the Harbour office by the launch spot.

The tide does run fast here, in common with many of the narrower bits of the harbour. Launch about an hour and a half before High Tide and you can have a pleasant push upstream, past Dell Quay, and towards Fishbourne. At the very top, there aren't so many places to get out, but you'll pass numerous options and at medium to high tide there is little problem with mud at any of them. You can have a leisurely break around High Tide and then get on the water and back to the start before it gets very fast or too low. Even if you run a bit late, the main issue is just the speed it goes through the moored yachts, getting out is still straight forward enough, you just need moderate boat control.

Its a nice part of the Harbour, quieter than some bits.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

If you pop across to Emsworth your options will be better around Thorney Island

Many thanks Mal and Adrian. Most helpful. I'll give it a trregards, Mike

Personally, I wouldn't paddle from Emsworth - take a look by all means, but it's too busy for my liking. I'd go from Itchenor or Dell Quay and go up and down with the tide. From Itchenor it's a nice paddle up to Bosham and back. If you're competent and adventurous enough, and conditions are sublime, and the forecast looks like staying that way (ie. a big, slow moving, high pressure - with neap tides),... lots of 'if's and but's'... you could park at the far end of West Wittering beach car park and launch at East Head - going upstream and back with the tides.

PS. Just read your post again, AM... a SoT would be ideal for the latter... and access from a sandy beach couldn't be easier.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Many thanks duck feet. Will probably give Itchenor a miss as I haven't paddled for a while due to health problems, but Dell quay would be right on my doorstep.
    Mike

You wonít go wrong there, itís beautiful. You can launch from the hard or off the beach in front of the Crown & Anchor.

If you set off an hour or so before high tide you can paddle almost all the way to Fishbourne.