Thread: Kneeling advice

Default Kneeling advice

OK, so what is the best way to kneel whilst paddling? I have problems kneeling as my legs go dead fairly quickly when I have my weight on them whilst kneeling, I have tried perching my backside on the seat to take off some of the weight but it seems my legs are not long enough for this and I canít quite get a good perch, this also becomes uncomfortable, I canít install a keeling thwart as I usually paddle tandem with the wife, would lowering the seat be an option?

I am open to suggestions to improve the comfort of my paddling.
    Remember, tomorrow, today will be yesterday!

If you can't permanently fit a kneeling thwart, you could look at a removable one. There is a thread about them here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...movable+thwart

Alternatively try a kneeling saddle
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Mollusc. If you are anywhere near me at Hampton Court in leafy Surrey, I have a Palm Saddle you could borrow whilst considering what to do next. You might also consult Phil at Black Snow Saddles for clever ideas.

Peter, Impcanoe

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    If you can't permanently fit a kneeling thwart, you could look at a removable one. There is a thread about them here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...movable+thwart

Alternatively try a kneeling saddle
    I will take a look, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Mollusc. If you are anywhere near me at Hampton Court in leafy Surrey, I have a Palm Saddle you could borrow whilst considering what to do next. You might also consult Phil at Black Snow Saddles for clever ideas.

Peter, Impcanoe
    Thank you for the offer, sadly I am in Cambridge so a bit too far for a visit, I will give Phil a call and see what options there are.

Do not despair of the famous paddler transport system. There may easily be someone coming or going who would take it. (my best a cnaoe from Stirling to Lancaster!!)

You could tilt the seat so the front edge is lower to suit your leg length

Hey. I would try what Adrian suggests above as a starting point. Add a spacer at the front seat hanger to drop the seat a little.

A "kneeling seat", which is thinner than a standard seat by wider than a kneeling thwart, could be an option. APache make one half way down this page on the left; http://apachecanoes.com/seats%2Fgunwales%2Fyoke

When I kneel on my built in kneeling thwart, the weight is shared quite evenly between knees and back of legs. If I kneel on the stern seat, either I have to move too far forwards and more weight is on the knees, or too far back and lose the connectivity because the weight is through my bum. In the middle, most weight is on the back of the legs which cuts into me and hurts quicky. Hence an angled seat is an option, but be careful you can still get your feet in and out easily enough.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Unless you have a specific problem with your knees/legs, you'll be heartened to learn that if you kneel on a regular basis, your lower limbs will get more used to it and the discomfort will lessen. If you're nimble enough and your canoe is stable enough, try alternating between kneeling and sitting.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Unless you have a specific problem with your knees/legs, you'll be heartened to learn that if you kneel on a regular basis, your lower limbs will get more used to it and the discomfort will lessen. If you're nimble enough and your canoe is stable enough, try alternating between kneeling and sitting.
    What old man says it's true and can also be helped by practicing at home. Get a pile of books and kneel either side of them. Put in more or take out books to get the right height for your bum to rest on. Do this for ten minutes watching TV. Then increase the time. It will get more comfortable the more you practice.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

What Al suggests is also a good way to work out what height is best.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    That's what I do. Sometimes kneel, sometimes sit normally, sometimes sit with one leg straight out and one almost under the seat. When kneeling. I put a lump of pool noodle under my foot/shin interface (don't know what that bit's called) because my feet won't extend to fully point my toes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    That's what I do. Sometimes kneel, sometimes sit normally, sometimes sit with one leg straight out and one almost under the seat. When kneeling. I put a lump of pool noodle under my foot/shin interface (don't know what that bit's called) because my feet won't extend to fully point my toes.
    Over here we call the foot/shin interface "ankles".
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Mollusc View Post
    ... I can’t install a keeling thwart as I usually paddle tandem with the wife...
    I don't understand. Do you sit when paddling tandem and the issue with kneeling is for solo paddling?
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Over here we call the foot/shin interface "ankles".
    Yeah, but the ankle is the sticky-out bit or the whole joint. I mean between the top of the foot and the shin. Top of ankle, I guess. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Feet View Post
    I don't understand. Do you sit when paddling tandem and the issue with kneeling is for solo paddling?
    99% of the time we paddle tandem and I prefer to kneel for stability, basically I want to be more comfortable whilst paddling so that I can spend more time in the canoe and paddle longer, the wife also suffers similar discomfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

99% of the time we paddle tandem and I prefer to kneel for stability, basically I want to be more comfortable whilst paddling so that I can spend more time in the canoe and paddle longer, the wife also suffers similar discomfort.
    So, why not just replace your seat with a kneeling thwart? Same for your wife. Might be unconventional outfitting, but it's not compulsory to have seats in a canoe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like lowering the seats might be your best option. You can use my books method to get an idea what height might suit you. But remember to make sure you can still get your feet out easily from under the seat.

Another option might be a kneeling-seat as seen in this thread by Mr Nick.

http://s773.photobucket.com/user/MrN...lnsvv.jpg.html
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Not to offend the purists on here, but I seldom kneel while paddling, and pretty much never on flat water. I do on fast water, but that never lasts for very long. Been doing it that way for 60-odd years now - seems to work fine for me.

No offence here. I generally kneel, always on moving water, usually on flat water but, interestingly, when we were in Canada paddling laden canoes, I mostly sat. It must be a hemispherical thing.

I have a set up I think of as a kneeling seat which is also failsafe. I've posted photos on here, but can't find them, and have given up photos now because of the faff involved. Anyway, it is inclined slightly, sits on 4 pins in front of the rear seat, and sufficiently behind the yoke to be able to get in and out, AND sit on it with my legs out in front. When I wish to tandem, it lifts off the pins on which it is held by velcro, freeing up the other seat to be used. The seat height has been established by the book method, and both the removable one and the fixed one slant foreward. I generally kneel, but occasionally sit to rest the knees, and to get the ankles to work before disembarking.

Some technowizz may be able to find the posts. Having changed to a chrome book, my photos seem to play hide and seek, but if you care to drop me a PM with your phone number or email, I will try to find photos and let you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    I have a set up I think of as a kneeling seat which is also failsafe. I've posted photos on here, but can't find them, and have given up photos now because of the faff involved. Anyway, it is inclined slightly, sits on 4 pins in front of the rear seat, and sufficiently behind the yoke to be able to get in and out, AND sit on it with my legs out in front. When I wish to tandem, it lifts off the pins on which it is held by velcro, freeing up the other seat to be used. The seat height has been established by the book method, and both the removable one and the fixed one slant foreward. I generally kneel, but occasionally sit to rest the knees, and to get the ankles to work before disembarking.

Some technowizz may be able to find the posts. Having changed to a chrome book, my photos seem to play hide and seek, but if you care to drop me a PM with your phone number or email, I will try to find photos and let you have them
    This was something i originally planned on making for the comfort of a temporary solo seat so i could kneel aswell, before being lazy and just going for the ease of the fixed kneeling thwart to fit

Done a quick search found images for you:

Another option, Mollusc (you've got everyone trying to figure this one out for you ). Wenonah have an adjustable seat system in some of their canoes. It allows the seat to be moved up and down, either flat or at an angle. I'm sure you'd be able to get the parts and with a bit of fettling (always an enjoyable pursuit) you'd be sorted. BTW, doesn't matter what someone else has been doing all their life, we need to find what's best for you and Mrs Mollusc.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    Not to offend the purists on here, but I seldom kneel while paddling, and pretty much never on flat water. I do on fast water, but that never lasts for very long. Been doing it that way for 60-odd years now - seems to work fine for me.
    If I had your beautiful boat, I'd probably sit as well.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    No offence here. I generally kneel, always on moving water, usually on flat water but, interestingly, when we were in Canada paddling laden canoes, I mostly sat. It must be a hemispherical thing.
    LOL!! Yes, it's a question of longitude, of course... I actually can kneel - I did this when we'd had some wine, and someone mentioned freestyle paddling.....

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to do that when you're laughing your head off........

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    If I had your beautiful boat, I'd probably sit as well.

Thanks. But, I can also kneel in my ugly boat too....... ..... this was the day it was blowing a hooley through a narrow channel and some muppet was about to die trying to row a rubber boat up there. I was very annoyed that i had to put clothes on and go out there to get him back to somewhere safe.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

I kneel against my seat, as I like to sit just before getting out to allow my feet to wake up (avoiding a very undignified exit!). Rather than lowering the front edge of the seat, you could always shorten the rear hangers to slant the seat. I did this as i didn't want to reduce the foot space under the seat. Works well for me, but just a suggestion amongst many options.

Thanks Ellory, but wrong set up Currently (best) boat has the set up in your found photo just in front of the rear seat. I think the photo is of an Old Town Disco 158, the current set up is in an old town cascade. Airbags remain the same, as well as ex flare container and paddles, but I might be wrong about the boat

When I first started canoeing I found kneeling against a standard seat fairly uncomfortable, puting on some foam padding helped a little. After a couple of hours paddling I'd have to start alternating between sitting and half sitting half kneeling. I found this quite frustrating as this impeded my rotation and power transfer and I really slowed down and got increasingly tired. Fitting a kneeing thwart and covering it with some firm padding has been a big improvement for me. This may be due in part to building up the relevant muscle groups and better technique over time.
    ---Usual precautions about entrapment apply, see the kneeling thwart threads for more details and occasional horror story---

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, it has given me a good few ideas.