Thread: Kingfishers on the Avon

Default Kingfishers on the Avon

Having lapsed it was nice when the 'kids' asked to dig my canoe out (self-build Selway-Fisher Raven) of the garage from under the rubble so they could go for an afternoon paddle on the Avon. Put in at Batheaston, 1 hour paddle to Warleigh Wier upstream, 20 mins relax, then 40 mins back with the slight current. They came back with a few nice photos of Kingfishers and Heron. We have seen otter before but not that day. Must finish my Malamut build so I can go with them next time.

Fabulous to get so close to kingfishers! That sort of thing should keep the kids hooked.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

They did well to get Kingfisher pictures that good. I’ve never managed to get that close.
    John

Lovely. I followed one for ages on Saturday but just as I got near enough to try for a photo, he shot off another 100yds ahead

Quality stuff. Every kingfisher seems sighting is a “magical” moment. 2 in one shot plus reflections is just showing off!
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Yes I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the photos they brought back. I normally see them at a distance as they skim the river from bank to bank ahead. I don't always see the lovely colours, depending on the sun angle and distance. I remember being surprised at how small they are. I haven't seen two that close together. They seem preoccupied with each other.