Thread: River Wey Paddle - Saturday 7th September

Default River Wey Paddle - Saturday 7th September

Hi All - latest updated plan for Saturday 7th Sept 2019 Paddle on the River Wey

We are planning on doing the long weybridge loop of the River Wey this Saturday 7th September 2019. We are aiming to be on the water by 10.30 but will probably leave 10.45 ish to allow for any late comers.

Its about 12 miles long with a number of short portages, one slightly awkward. A nice mix of canal and a lovely long stretch of natural river with plenty of points of interest. All welcome.

Route: http://www.paddlepoints.net?R=39&A=989

Meet at New Haw Car park (next to the lock) http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?pp=111, parking off road near bridge (barrier OK for normal cars with canoes) for 10.30am (ish) start.

Takes all day (5-6 hrs)! Bring lunch...

Maj
    Last edited by silverbeard; 5th-September-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Maj. I'm up for a Saturday paddle (if my knackered old spine behaves!). If the winds are low, how about the Weybridge loop?

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Maj. I'm up for a Saturday paddle (if my knackered old spine behaves!). If the winds are low, how about the Weybridge loop?
    Jim, are you sure about this? That loop is exhausting but i would be up for it. I think there is a way of doing half of it which is an option.

I was also considering doing the upper part of the River Wey on the other side of Godalming but need to do some more research.

Lurking from afar to see what happens... If its a good enough plan I may return...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Luking from afar, but returning home tomorrow, tues, hardly been in a canoe for more than a month, ( but have seen seals, porpoises, a mirriad of sea birds) I will try for this one, Weybridge loop would suit me although you start at the mill when I start normally at the lower lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Luking from afar, but returning home tomorrow, tues, hardly been in a canoe for more than a month, ( but have seen seals, porpoises, a mirriad of sea birds) I will try for this one, Weybridge loop would suit me although you start at the mill when I start normally at the lower lock.
    Missed you Peter, hope you can make it. We can start at the lower lock if it suits most people. Seals you say, so jealous! looking forward to hearing your adventures.

I hope to be available for a Saturday paddle but don't fancy the Weybridge Loop (15miles ??) so I'll lurk, see what your final plan is, and either join you, or go for a leisurely piddle about on my own somewhere. :-)

Sounds good but I canít make it until about 10:30 due to stuff!
    I will keep an eye out as things progress.

I hope to be available for a Saturday paddle but don't fancy the Weybridge Loop (15miles ??) so I'll lurk, see what your final plan is, and either join you, or go for a leisurely piddle about on my own somewhere. :-)

Weybridge loop is around 12 miles, and would be tempting enough if I come back to Surrey. I am, though, definitely not wanting to sway the choice as if the weather looks good I will probably head off camping and canoeing somewhere vaguely between my parents place in Notts, and home. (I would consider most latitudes between the two to be "on the way" even the ones to the west.)

Count me not as a vote for the weybridge loop, but for a paddle on the wey on Saturday. BUT NOT the portage rounf the mill

There really isn't enough parking at the lower lock for a group.

yes up for sat outing we join up with nick to rejoice parking so there for controlled by his timing
    graham

Hi Maj
    did we see you at Bowers Lock on Sunday afternoon? We were in the red Novacraft.

Definite maybe, have put in for day pass which has initially been accepted with a negative attitude. Must annoy her more to ensure pass is granted. I am happy with any paddle including weybridge loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eye View Post
    yes up for sat outing we join up with nick to rejoice parking so there for controlled by his timing
    graham
    yay! have you finished the new yoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Perivalepaul View Post
    Hi Maj
    did we see you at Bowers Lock on Sunday afternoon? We were in the red Novacraft.
    Yes it was and what a beautiful sight it was seeing you "pros" effortlessly gliding across the water with such grace. Ambs said, "one day will be like that" to which i just smiled (I just mess about on the water). It was nice talking to you!

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Definite maybe, have put in for day pass which has initially been accepted with a negative attitude. Must annoy her more to ensure pass is granted. I am happy with any paddle including weybridge loop.
    Cool Rich, gutted i missed your last outing on the Thames / Wey but i had other things planned. Will talk about your other outing which we discussed at the start of the year (including the wild camp option if viable)

Folks,

Still investigating the upper reaches of the river Wey (Tilford) does anyone have any experience of this section particularly the water levels? If we do this section, there maybe a lot of canoe dragging i feel.

Maj

No way are we “pros”. We are very much beginners. You should have seen us round the bend when we were zig zagging all over ��
    It was nice to talk to you too.
    We’re away for a few weeks but hope to paddle the Wey on the other side of Guildford. Would be nice to join a meet in the future.
    Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

So just to keep tabs on who can come / maybe come this saturday.

Yes

Maj
    Ellery

Maybe

Jim
    Nick
    Colin
    Sam (from FB)
    Richard
    Peter (ImpCanoe)
    Mal - very very slim chance - perhaps
    BigJ - if he gets back from norfolk

If we do decide to do the Weybridge loop - does anyone have a access to a lock key for the lock? its not nice crossing that road next to the round mini roundabout.
    Last edited by silverbeard; 3rd-September-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Count me in, Very much like the sound of Weybridge loop as it is one 'loops' i am yet to try

Quote Originally Posted by Perivalepaul View Post
    Hi Maj
    I was on Windermere, so unless your eyesight is remarkable, nope not me

Originally Posted by Perivalepaul
    Hi Maj

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I was on Windermere, so unless your eyesight is remarkable, nope not me
    Who needs SpecSavers now!

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post

If we do decide to do the Weybridge loop - does anyone have a access to a lock key for the lock? its not nice crossing that road next to the round mini roundabout.
    I have a windlass that I will bring if I come or could loan out if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I have a windlass that I will bring if I come or could loan out if I don't.
    thanks Colin, hoping you can make it. The route has not been confirmed yet...

So, i think we two options

A - Weybridge Loop
    B - Bowers & Triggs Loop

They are both all day paddles. What do people prefer? - will go with the majority

Maj - A or B
    Ellery - A

If I make it, I would prefer the Weybridge Loop. Still deciding whether to head off wild camping elsewhere instead though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    If I make it, I would prefer the Weybridge Loop. Still deciding whether to head off wild camping elsewhere instead though...

Are you planning on doing a solo camp? the weather does look this weekend for a wild camp.

A - Weybridge Loop
    B - Bowers & Triggs Loop

They are both all day paddles. What do people prefer? - will go with the majority

Maj - A or B
    Ellery - A
    Mal (if he decides to come) - A

Are you planning on doing a solo camp? the weather does look this weekend for a wild camp.
    Will Message you later.

A very strong preference for the Weybridge loop, although I intend to turnout whatever, sublect to as yet unknown family diversions.

Maj. I would say I'm a highly likely for Saturday and up for the Weybridge loop (or alternative) if winds are on the low side. Jim

Maj (& Boys),

I am unlikely to join you for Saturday (I have a cunning plan. Will it hatch, or will it get squashed under someone's welly ?)

Jim, do you want me to drop off my windlass (or pick it up) beforehand ? (I won't even ask for a security deposit !!!)

If my plan fails, I may join you all, depending on what you decide as a start and route. Or, I may just sulk at home :-(

Maj (& Boys),

I am unlikely to join you for Saturday (I have a cunning plan. Will it hatch, or will it get squashed under someone's welly ?)

Jim, do you want me to drop off my windlass (or pick it up) beforehand ? (I won't even ask for a security deposit !!!)

If my plan fails, I may join you all, depending on what you decide as a start and route. Or, I may just sulk at home :-(
    Colin, its been too long mate.. lets organise something over the next few weeks whilst the weather is still warm - henley loop perhaps or something shorter? Looking forward to your guitar playing - i hope you have had time to practice Thanks for the windlass.

A - Weybridge Loop
    B - Bowers & Triggs Loop

Maj - A or B
    Ellery - A
    Mal (if he decides to come) - A
    Jim A

As above...plan A for preference, but I'll go with B if that is the majority.

I am going to Wales instead, sorry folks.

Col. That's very kind. Hope you can make the paddle, but I will gladly collect your windlass on Friday (day or eve, whenever's convenient). I'll text tomorrow.

Maj - so, it's looking like the Weybridge loop. New Haw lock start (http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=111)? Nick and Graham can't make it till 10.30, so would that be ok for a meet time?

Maj
    Ellery
    Richard (dependant on day pass)
    Nick
    Graham
    Peter
    Jim (very probably and hopefully with Colin's kindly offered lock key)
    Col (unlikely, but you never know!)

Plenty of folk on hand to make the Mill portage as easy as possible

Jim

Col. That's very kind. Hope you can make the paddle, but I will gladly collect your windlass on Friday (day or eve, whenever's convenient). I'll text tomorrow.

Maj - so, it's looking like the Weybridge loop. New Haw lock start (http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=111)? Nick and Graham can't make it till 10.30, so would that be ok for a meet time?

Maj
    Ellery
    Richard (dependant on day pass)
    Nick
    Graham
    Peter
    Jim (very probably and hopefully with Colin's kindly offered lock key)
    Col (unlikely, but you never know!)

Plenty of folk on hand to make the Mill portage as easy as possible

Jim

Jim,

Weybridge loop it is. Also Sam (who owns a dagger reflection) may come. So is that 10.30 read to go? Its a long paddle -

Peter, parking 8 cars at the lock - is there enough room in your opinion? I could park at Newark and meet you boys later.

Maj

we could always meet at New Haw? looks large and easy for kit faf

On the river but "above" the low lock would be my start point of choice for me, but there certainly isn't enough parking space. What I like is finishing nearest to home without another or two other portages. I shall probably start there and paddle up to the real start

Quote Originally Posted by Ellery View Post
    we could always meet at New Haw? looks large and easy for kit faf
    We are (New Haw lock start (http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=111). Unless we're really unlucky, there should be enough space for the cars. Peter will be at Weybridge town lock and paddling up to meet us at New Haw lock at 10.30 (if I've understood correctly).

Maj - how about being ready to launch at 10.30 and we can then help Nick and Graham when they arrive? Perhaps bring some rotten fruit to bung at them if they're too slow!

Jim

ahhh ok, just me getting confused, that makes it easier

Looking forward to this.. updated the paddle details on the first post with links to the route and parking.
    Weather looks good with no rain and reasonably mild.

Maj

Colin, its been too long mate.. lets organise something over the next few weeks whilst the weather is still warm

Might have missed the boat with that one; already getting a bit chilly :-)

Looking forward to your guitar playing - i hope you have had time to practice

Methinks 'twill be a while before any noises I create on a guitar are fit for public performance

I will gladly collect your windlass on Friday (day or eve, whenever's convenient). I'll text tomorrow.

I have to go somewhere straight from work today so I'll either leave it out for you or take it with me today and drop it to yours on the way home tonight

Hi all, I'll be there.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by tornado84125 View Post
    Hi all, I'll be there.

Sam

Its fab you can come Sam - looking forward to seeing another dagger reflection on the water.

So those coming tomorrow parking at the new haw lock are:

Sam
    Ellery
    John (will confirm later today)
    Jim
    Maj
    Nick
    Graham
    Peter - will meet us at the new haw lock but launch at the lower lock.
    Richard

there may be one or two others... who will confirm later.
    For the New Haw car park - i think there is a height restriction but i have not had a problem getting under the barrier with my canoe on top. I will try and check if the barrier its open later today.

Maj

I am now in possession of Col's windlass. I've never used one, so will gratefully accept assistance from those in the know. Should make the trip easier and more enjoyable.

Right then I'm in and am Bringing Jeni, my daughter.
    Is it 1030hrs ready to leave or arrival time ?
    John
    Canoeist,Bushcrafter,cyclist, Jack of all trades and master of some.

Apologies - my dog responsibilities have expanded so I shall not be able to make the morning at all.
    Shame as would have been good to catch up and meet new faces, I leave you to the loop with an earlier start?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nickout View Post
    Apologies - my dog responsibilities have expanded so I shall not be able to make the morning at all.
    Shame as would have been good to catch up and meet new faces, I leave you to the loop with an earlier start?

Nick

Nick, so sorry you can't make it in the morning. I was wondering if there is anyway you could meet us along the route -... happy to give you a lift back at the end to where ever your car is.

Default Wey

Very sorry but I have also got dog duties. I have to collect my new paddling partner tomorrow. Will try and make next trip. Hope you have nice day out. Watch out for those golf balls.

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Very sorry but I have also got dog duties. I have to collect my new paddling partner tomorrow. Will try and make next trip. Hope you have nice day out. Watch out for those golf balls.
    See you soon Rich, have a nice weekend!

Sorry Ali has had one of her afternoon tea helps drop out so needs me to help tomorrow enjoy nearly finish New York need to get out and use it soon
    Graham

Dropping like flies!

Have a good paddle folks. For those who miss out, I'll hopefully do the Weybridge loop sometime soon too.

For the New Haw car park - i think there is a height restriction but i have not had a problem getting under the barrier with my canoe on top. I will try and check if the barrier its open later today.

Maj

I know a canoe on a normal car gets under it, I think anyone with a 4x4 will have to throw their boats off. Not sure if the waterways key fits the padlock; might be worth a try.

I am now in possession of Col's windlass.
    I've never used one, so will gratefully accept assistance from those in the know. Should make the trip easier and more enjoyable.

C'mon Jim remember when you used to start your car when you were younger. It's the same as that :-)

I've not done a lock on the Wey for a while; you might find the sluices don't have a ratchet or pawl, just a lump of metal on a chain that you jam between the rack and the pinion.
    Never leave the handle on the winder; if the gear slips, there's a lot of potential energy in a falling sluice gate.

Have fun, boys and girls.

I think my cunning plan for the weekend has been scuppered :-(

I know a canoe on a normal car gets under it, I think anyone with a 4x4 will have to throw their boats off. Not sure if the waterways key fits the padlock; might be worth a try.

C'mon Jim remember when you used to start your car when you were younger. It's the same as that :-)

I've not done a lock on the Wey for a while; you might find the sluices don't have a ratchet or pawl, just a lump of metal on a chain that you jam between the rack and the pinion.
    Never leave the handle on the winder; if the gear slips, there's a lot of potential energy in a falling sluice gate.
    I can slip under that barrier in an old X-Trail plus boat with a couple of inches to spare, but then my body mass index may be contributing to the compression of my shocks. I'll have an extra Weetabix just to be sure

Yeah, yeah Col, I recall the crank starter on my old Model T. I shall watch out for ratchets and pawls and remove your winder before things get ugly!

Maj
    Thanks for organising a great (and looong) paddle today. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the blog ;-) I have some photos to add to yours when you get around to it. It was good to see familiar and rarely seen faces as well as some new ones to me.
    Jim

Look forward to seeing photos and bloggage

I think my cunning plan for the weekend has been scuppered :-(
    I managed to close the sea-cocks and re-float the idea. Details to follow on another thread ;-)

Maj
    Thanks for organising a great (and looong) paddle today. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the blog ;-) I have some photos to add to yours when you get around to it. It was good to see familiar and rarely seen faces as well as some new ones to me.
    Jim
    Look forward to seeing photos and bloggage

The blog is on its way

I managed to close the sea-cocks and re-float the idea. Details to follow on another thread ;-)
    I am intrigued Colin

I am intrigued Colin
    See http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...278#post675278