Thread: Hello from Angus (East Scotland)

Default Hello from Angus (East Scotland)

Afternoon All - Very new to kayaking and Forums (Social Media)etc.
    Have just bought a couple of Kayaks for my wife and i, and are looking to explore our local area and further afield from a whole new watery perspective.
    We are based between Perth and Dundee, only a couple of minutes from the Tay and Isla rivers.
    We like to explore locally at first so would appreciate any help from local paddlers as to the best places to visit, points of access etc etc.
    Best regards to all, see you on the water.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone from your area will be along soon to give you advice. It might help if you give us an idea about your experience and what type of kayaks you bought.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi and welcome, you're not far from Clunie Loch near Butterstone then. It's a nice easy place to paddle with really easy access to the water and some good spots for parking. The only problem with it, especially during the summer months, is that it can get quite busy with campers and fishers who treat it as a dumping ground.
    Theres a man made island in the middle with the remains of a castle that can be a good spot for lunch but it too suffers from the rubbish dumpers.
    The Tay and the Isla also have some very nice paddling but being new to canoeing as well I have only been on the Tay so far. Right accross from Stanley beach is a small car parking area and the river there is used by various canoe/kayaking clubs. If you have a look on google earth you will find lots of lochs all around the area, I've started making a small list and intend to start visiting them to check on suitability. I'll keep you updated on what I find if you like?

Hello and Welcome!

Nice Part of the world. Have a look on Paddle Points for more ideas on paddling destinations.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Welcome to the forum, you're quite close to us in Blairgowrie. Joe's right about Clunie - better in the winter - Marlee Loch is quieter because more awkward to get to. You can get on to the Isla at Crathies Bridge near Meigle, Boat of Bardmoney just above the Ericht confluence, or Coupar Angus. The old takeout just before the Tay confluence may not be useable (unfriendly farmer).

Have you seen the Lower Tay canoe Trail?
    www.taylp.org/Lower_Tay_Canoe_Trail/

Cheers,
    Carol

Hi Big Al - thanks for responding. We have two Wavesport Hydras, approx 15ft. Hoping to find plenty of calm/steady water, not really interested in whitewater. Have had several responses with suitable venues so I’ll get stuck into those first.
    Best regards, SiMap

Quote Originally Posted by SiMap View Post
    ... We have two Wavesport Hydras, approx 15ft. ...
    Nice - I just sold mine, but it's the nicest kayak I've owned (including a high-spec Valley Sirona). Been flip-flopping between canoes and kayaks for a couple of years, but I think the older my bones, the more they prefer an open canoe. Happy paddling.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Hi Invicta

Thanks for responding - sorry for my tardy reply. Have tried Clunie a couple of time and found it a great place to practice and become more confident. Great after a day at work to get to.
    Also tried the River Isla from Meigle. Started well before coming to a complete blockage with more further downstream. In the end we had to haul the boats out, up a steep bank and over a field to a farm track. The farmer was great and even offered me a lift back to the bridge. He blamed the beavers but we couldn't see any sign!
    One of the best places we've found so far has been Lintrathen. The fishermen were particularly unhelpful, but we found a great spot to access the water and enjoyed a superb afternoon. Backmuir Dam was easy to access and a good paddle but not quite so scenic and just a little bit boring, think we'll try Marlee next and have another go down the Tay from Dunkeld.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    Best regards,
    SiMap

Hi Mynameisjoe

Thanks very much for the great pointers. How do i get to Stanley beach by road? also, from there is it possible to paddle down to Perth? It looks pretty tricky with the various weirs etc. id appreciate your thoughts.
    I would very much appreciate your list of local paddling spots and am happy to add to it. If i can be of any assistance please just let me know. Vert best regards,
    SiMap

Thanks Duckfeet - we weren't sure what was best in the end we plumped for two Wavesport Hydras given that we hope to overnight at some point and thought these looked like a good all round boat. Looking forward to taking them out around the coast soon, (on a calm day). i'll let you know how we get on.
    Best regards,
    SiMap

I've sent you PM SiMap, but not sure you can PM back until you have so many posts. I have a Reed Chillcheater spraydeck that fits the Hydra - unused - details in classified, if it's of any interest.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Hi SiMap,

If you prefer flat water on the Tay, the highest you can put in is Waulkmill on the west bank, opposite and down a bit from Luncarty (there used to be a put-in at Luncarty but not sure what state it's in). Waulkmill is quite tiny and if I were leaving a car for a long time I'd ask the person in front of whose house you'd be. Depending on water level there are a couple of splashy bits below that but each occupies less than half the width of the river. Did you look up the Lower Tay Canoe trail?

Sorry to hear you had trouble with beaver-felled trees on the Isla. Not everyone likes beavers. The tidal Earn from Bridge of Earn down to Newburgh is also a good run. Need to start from B of Earn about high water because of the messy weir where the old bridge used to be.

The newish put-in for Marlee Loch is downhill from Kinloch: the field boundary about NO143448 is now a double fence with footpath between. There is a rather small layby on the road.

Hi SiMap, just noticed this thread, I'm not too far away from you and there's some excellent still water opportunities not too far away.

Loch Earn is a good introduction to a large loch - I would avoid in the summer but it can be lovely outwith tourist season (powered craft on the water but rarer out of season), very easy access.
    Loch Tummel can be fantastic, banks can get busy with roadside campers in Summer but often very quiet on the water, lots of access points.
    Loch Rannoch - I prefer Tummel but Rannoch is a bit wilder with a more remote feel, again easy access.
    Loch Tay can be a real adventure (and while all loch can be dangerous water as big a this deserves extra respect) be aware of powered craft, easy to access but demand can be high.

As alluded to above the big still waters are not for the unwary so please ensure you're thoroughly prepared!
    Last edited by son goku; 18th-September-2019 at 11:40 AM.