Thread: Bewl water

Default Bewl water

Hi all
    Does anyone know if its possible to paddle on Bewl Water on a casual basis? Visiting the area this weekend but have no local knowledge of rules and requirements to be able to take to the water. Tia
    Nick & Nicola x

I've not paddled there myself but last time I went there for a walk, there were signs saying casual canoeing is permitted and who to pay. I think it's quite expensive though.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

From their FAQ page

Can I bring my own boat?

Day passes for kayaks, canoes, dinghies and windsurfing boards can be purchased on the day in the Fishing Shop. Sailing boats require a membership which can also be purchased in the Fishing Shop or over the phone.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

You can buy a day licence for a stand up paddle board ( £16 ), and I think you can do the same for canoes or kayaks. The website implies that you need to join the canoe club, but I donít think that is correct. However, they will want to see documentary evidence that you are competent in a canoe/kayak - I imagine a BCU 2* certificate or similar would do. I was told this the other day by the chap in the fishing shop, where you go to buy licences. I suggest you ring them on 01892 890000 to save a wasted journey. I hope you get to paddle there, it is a beautiful lake and a great place to spend a few hours.

Oh yes, I have just found the FAQ page, it is rather a confusing website. You can buy day passes - but be prepared to be asked for evidence of competence. I would still suggest ringing them in advance.

I think you need 3rd party insurance too. Would BCU membership cover that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, BCU Insurance includes £10 million third party cover. Bewl Water are possibly being a bit pernickety, but I can see their point of view - the lake is large, deep and cold, and it is often busy with many different types of watercraft.

Thank you to all for your replies - much appreciated. We are probably going to pass on forking out £16 quid per canoe. Today we went for a lovely free paddle on the Medway at Tonbridge - lovely ! X N&N