Thread: hello from south east/east anglia UK.

Default hello from south east/east anglia UK.

im a bit shy about using forums and social media but I thought I'd sign up here to ask some questions etc.

Hello and welcome here. You have no need to be shy here, the natives don't bite and for the most part are really friendly and helpful.
    Just ask your questions and if someone has an answer (someone usually does) they will give it to you.
    I can't answer your Deptford question I'm afraid even though my mum originated from over that way. Generally, urban paddling isn't as popular as rural paddling so you might struggle to get an answer to your question.
    This member
    usernameChrisS wrote a great blog recently about paddling in London, albeit more central than Deptford, so if the answer is important to you, send him a PM and ask him. You never know, he might be able to help.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Hello and welcome here. You have no need to be shy here, the natives don't bite and for the most part are really friendly and helpful.
    Just ask your questions and if someone has an answer (someone usually does) they will give it to you.
    I can't answer your Deptford question I'm afraid even though my mum originated from over that way. Generally, urban paddling isn't as popular as rural paddling so you might struggle to get an answer to your question.
    This member
    usernameChrisS wrote a great blog recently about paddling in London, albeit more central than Deptford, so if the answer is important to you, send him a PM and ask him. You never know, he might be able to help.
    well im shy cause social media has turned into an absolute monster and 'doxing' etc is the new fun thing for losers, so I prefer to be a bit vague about my personal details, but thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by random_username_313 View Post
    well im shy cause social media has turned into an absolute monster and 'doxing' etc is the new fun thing for losers, so I prefer to be a bit vague about my personal details, but thank you for your reply.
    Welcome to our forum, and thanks for teaching me a new word. I've just googled "Doxxing". Fascinating, lets hope you can come on here to relax and get away from all that crap. If not, I'm sure you will when you get in your canoe. I find paddling to be a type of therapy to destress from the rat race.

Happy paddling.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by random_username_313 View Post
    As part of the older generation, I have no use for social media and I think that many of the postings are deplorable and disgusting.
    My advice to you if you think it's a monster is simple; STOP using it !!
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    As part of the older generation, I have no use for social media and I think that many of the postings are deplorable and disgusting.
    My advice to you if you think it's a monster is simple; STOP using it !!
    true, while it is a monster I cant simply rely on listening to BBC radio4 and praying/hoping that one of many diaspora of friends decides to send me a text message.

Hello and Welcome from another south east paddler, who gets to East Anglia a little bit now and then.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Welcome to SoTP, and while everybody here will respect not giving personal details I wouldn't worry. While forums like this fall under the general definition of social media, they existed before the likes of Facebook and where well managed (this one is) remain free of bad behaviour. The moderators maintain a friendly culture, and the potential trolls, etc, see the way the site is managed and don't even attempt to post - it's a virtuous circle and means the moderators don't actually have to censor much once they've established the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    Welcome to SoTP, and while everybody here will respect not giving personal details I wouldn't worry. While forums like this fall under the general definition of social media, they existed before the likes of Facebook and where well managed (this one is) remain free of bad behaviour. The moderators maintain a friendly culture, and the potential trolls, etc, see the way the site is managed and don't even attempt to post - it's a virtuous circle and means the moderators don't actually have to censor much once they've established the culture.
    With respect, I think you are missing the point - it's not trolls and bad behavior on the SotP forum that are the concern. It is the amount of personal information that you can give away on a public forum such as this - especially those who post and blog regularly. Out of curiosity, having Googling 'bloxxing', I picked a name (quite at random) of a regular SotP poster and blogger - and it was surprising how much I, as a total stranger, had learned about that person, his family, his likes and dislikes, and even enough to find his house. Quite scary stuff - particularly as that could have been done without even joining the forum! Beware of all social media!

Regards,
    Nick

We are all now thinking "is it me?" And "oh sh1t".
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    We are all now thinking "is it me?" And "oh sh1t".
    Rest easy, Big Al - it wasn't you!

and apologies for my typo - I did actually Google 'doxxing' and then got it mixed up with 'blogging' when I wrote my post!

Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick TQP View Post
    Rest easy, Big Al - it wasn't you!

and apologies for my typo - I did actually Google 'doxxing' and then got it mixed up with 'blogging' when I wrote my post!

Regards,
    Nick

so you can see why im concerned about social media.

if i end up refering to my personal circumstances in conversation, very quickly I stand out as someone who has a had a few unusual experiences in life, so im pretty easy to identify on line, thats not bragging about how special i am, its just the way things are, but thats why I choose my random username!

Welcome to the Forum. I can tell you this is the most civilised Forum I've ever signed up for. Not being a social media user (other than being on special interest forums like this), I don't know how signing-up to this Forum would compromise anyone. Maybe I'm naive, but I've always felt that as long as I've nothing to hide (apart from the yellowish legs and webbed feet) I don't care what can be gleaned about me online.

There's no compunction to reveal anything on a canoeing forum about your 'personal circumstances in conversation'... just join in the chat about canoeing and ask as many questions as you like. ;-)
    Last edited by Duck Feet; 2nd-September-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.