Thread: North Worcestershire and surroundings

Default North Worcestershire and surroundings

Hi SOTPers,

We are beginner paddlers, had a few goes in the sea on the Llyn peninsula in North Wales over the summer which was really enjoyable.

Now looking for places to paddle near home. Loads of canals, don't yet want to pay the 45 to British canoeing for the licence. Have also looked at the Warwickshire River Avon and the licence fee is reasonable for a day paddling- Avon Navigation Trust website says they require insurance on all craft covering at least 2,000,000! Don't see why this should apply to canoeists but can't find any information otherwise. I wonder how likely you are to be challenged about a licence on a quiet stretch of canal...

Had a look today at some places upstream of the managed section but couldn't find anywhere suitable and the river looks quite fast. Also wouldn't want to encounter angry farmers and the like- have seen reports about this stretch of river on the internet.

River Wye looks lovely although rapids sound daunting- is there an easy stretch we could do?
    So do any of you know of any other places that could be suitable for a day trip? Would need an easy access point and calm water as we're not confident on anything more dangerous.

Thanks
    Last edited by PiranhaFish; 15th-August-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Default Dare I say

Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaFish View Post
    Hi SOTPers,

We are beginner paddlers, had a few goes in the sea on the Llyn peninsula in North Wales over the summer which was really enjoyable.

Now looking for places to paddle near home. Loads of canals, don't yet want to pay the 45 to British canoeing for the licence. Have also looked at the Warwickshire River Avon and the licence fee is reasonable for a day paddling- Avon Navigation Trust website says they require insurance on all craft covering at least 2,000,000! Don't see why this should apply to canoeists but can't find any information otherwise. I wonder how likely you are to be challenged about a licence on a quiet stretch of canal...

Had a look today at some places upstream of the managed section but couldn't find anywhere suitable and the river looks quite fast. Also wouldn't want to encounter angry farmers and the like- have seen reports about this stretch of river on the internet.

River Wye looks lovely although rapids sound daunting- is there an easy stretch we could do?
    So do any of you know of any other places that could be suitable for a day trip? Would need an easy access point and calm water as we're not confident on anything more dangerous.

Thanks
    The River Severn Bridgenorth to Arley
    https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/u...pper-Arley.pdf

When are you planning on going?

Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaFish View Post
    ... don't yet want to pay the 45 to British canoeing for the licence. .... Avon Navigation Trust website says they require insurance on all craft covering at least 2,000,000! Don't see why this should apply to canoeists ... I wonder how likely you are to be challenged about a licence on a quiet stretch of canal...

Membership of British Canoeing gives you access to rivers and canals that would otherwise be out of bounds to paddlers. British Canoeing also campaigns for continued and improved access for canoeists and is involved in environmental projects. Membership includes third party liability up to 10,000,000... which would cover you if your canoeing results in injury or death to others. Nobody wants to have to pay for licenses and access, but the monies help maintain the places we enjoy - personally, I think we have an obligation to cough up.

If you want to paddle for nothing, there is a list of places that don't require a license on their website. Might be best to start there, then if you take up paddling more seriously you can buy a license. I carry my license (on the water) all the time.
    Last edited by Duck Feet; 16th-August-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.