Thread: Marine v exterior plywood

Default Marine v exterior plywood

Always used Marine Lloydís approved BS1088 on the three canoes Iíve built. Starting a new build and upon rejecting the first batch of sheets I received after numerous voids and blisters in the layers, Iíve now had to reject and have had a refund for the second batch of three sheets that had the same problems! More than one long void running the entire width of the sheet (at least 2mm wide) and 50mm patches where the top veneer isnít glued to the inner ply. May as well build with exterior plywood if the standards donít rule out significant exceptions to the quality you pay nearly four times as much for!

Where are you getting your ply ??

Same supplier as I got my previous, really good quality stuff from, but they have changed supplier, wouldn’t want to mention their name as normally really good and it’s their fault really. The faulty marine ply is manufactured by a company in Spain, T.F with a bird logo, they have an official video on you tube as well. I wouldn’t buy any of their products ever from now on. The stuff I usually use is produced by Joubert I think, but I can’t get it local to me now.

What a shame your supplier has been let down by theirs.

I don't know how prices might compare and you'd have some carriage cost but I've always had good ply and other timbers from http://www.robbins.co.uk/marine/prices.asp might be worth sending them an enquiry or, give them a bell.

I have bought marine ply and other supplies from http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/suppli...plywood-sheet/ it was always good quality.

Trying to economise on my first build I bought marine ply through a timber merchant.
    Whilst structurally it was sound, it had one side with unusual bluey tinges, fortunately I was painting the outside so it did not matter.
    I noticed some small wormholes on one face but I had already cut out the panels so too late to return.
    I could have avoided the hassle by spending more on good quality ply.

I agree, better to spend out on better products in the first place, which is what I thought Iíd done. The stuff he usually gets me is the same as what Fyne put in their boats/kits/sell, but a tenner per sheet cheaper; but the last stuff was different even though still being fully certified etc. This was bought not from a builder merchant, but a specific marine timber yard, typo in my last post... not his fault but more the quality of how the ply is manufactured. He was as shocked as me. Good service from him as in a refund and I still have the panels I cut from the sheets (he only kept sample off cuts to show his supplier), so now thinking of channeling and gluing or filleting the voids, may be an option but will take time. Suits me though, I partly do all this for the joy of wood work as well as canoeing!

On the other hand, I've seen some beautiful builds with relatively inexpensive ply. As I recall Flo-Mos gorewoods were made using "normal" (albeit quite specific in terms of ply thicknesses) exterior ply. I think he mentioned his supplier allowing him to go through the stack to pull out "good" sheets with minimal voids.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."