Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Norfolk Broads: North Walsham and Dilham Canal from Barton Broad

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default Norfolk Broads: North Walsham and Dilham Canal from Barton Broad

    The weather looks set fair next week, so at short notice... thinking of paddling this pretty waterway.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDUo_UpUq8

    Wednesday 21st Aug about 1:00 pm from Neatishead Staithe.
    About 7 leisurely miles across Barton Broad and up the River Ant to Wayford Bridge and on up the disused canal to Honing Lock.
    Camp overnight at Canal Campsite ( www.canalcamping.co.uk ). There's a pub about a mile away I'm told for a meal or cook at campsite.
    Return on Thursday leaving about 10:00 am.

    Weather dependent (I don't do wet weather paddles any more)!

    Anyone around? I'll have an empty front seat for a light paddler, possibly.

    Chris
    Last edited by Suwannee; 13th-August-2019 at 08:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Enjoy, it's a beautiful canal, watch out for the submerged log/tree near honing, it caught me out twice the other weekend because I never learn

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
    Enjoy, it's a beautiful canal, watch out for the submerged log/tree near honing, it caught me out twice the other weekend because I never learn
    I'm sure I'll find it, even if you marked it with flashing orange lights and flags!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northampton
    Posts
    697

    Default

    I found that log too! If you can, get out and carry into campsite, rather than attempt the very narrow and shallow approach to site.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northampton
    Posts
    697

    Default

    I meant to say at honing lock

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Changed to Tue/Wed. Please message me if interested.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    There is now a Toll of £4 per canoe payable just before the Tonnage Bridge. It goes towards the insurance and maintenance of the canal which is a private waterway and not under the control of the Broads Authority.
    Get Paddling!

    Blott

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Blott: Thanks for the heads up on that. Seems reasonable amount. We forget there are costs involved in owning rivers and canals. Chris

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northampton
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Wish I could join you, but just returned biggish meet, and very busy with work at moment, enjoy!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Perfect weather and a glorious waterway! No aggressive logs encountered, maybe someone has been busy clearing, though not above Honing Lock.
    The last section to the campsite is a battle to avoid being scratched by brambles or stung by nettles, then there's an awkward scramble out up a steep muddy bank.

    On the return I used the trolley (a heavyweight ex B&Q sack trolley) to take the direct path from the campsite to just below the lock. Much easier.

    Highly recommended.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northampton
    Posts
    697

    Default

    That’s what I suggested to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee View Post
    Perfect weather and a glorious waterway! No aggressive logs encountered, maybe someone has been busy clearing, though not above Honing Lock.
    The last section to the campsite is a battle to avoid being scratched by brambles or stung by nettles, then there's an awkward scramble out up a steep muddy bank.

    On the return I used the trolley (a heavyweight ex B&Q sack trolley) to take the direct path from the campsite to just below the lock. Much easier.

    Highly recommended.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Shefford, Central Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Suwannee,

    We are up at Canal camping (Dilham) next week for a week, is the canal paddalable or shallow, as David says?
    Simms ..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    I walked along it from Briggate to Honing Mill on Sunday; that section is impassable. Below Honing Mill down to Wayford looks OK but low water will mean a few fallen trees to negotiate but should be doable. let us know jhow you get on.

    Cheers,

    Nick
    Get Paddling!

    Blott

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Shefford, Central Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Hi Nick,

    Will do.

    We're camping with my children and Grandchildren over the weekend (6th) and want to introduce them to Canoeing.
    Will more-than-likely hire from Wayford Bridge.

    Simon
    Simms ..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Hi Simon,

    Banks Boats do the hiring at Wayford Bridge. They have had a fall out with the owner of the lower section of the canal (Wayford to Honing Lock and the campsite) so hire canoes are now not allowed on the canal. Your options may be:
    1. Paddle from Wayford up the Ant to Dilham Staithe
    2. Paddle down the Ant from Wayford
    3. Hire a canoe from Canal Camping and paddle the Canal
    4. Say sod it, plead ignorance and just paddle it. There is an honesty box at the bottom of the canal for the £4 Toll

    Hope this helps.

    Nick
    Get Paddling!

    Blott

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Easily canoeable (plenty of water, the odd floating log, but no fallen trees) from Wayford bridge to Honing Lock or vv. Honing Lock to the campsite is shallow but the main problem is not the depth, but overhanging nettles, brambles and small branches, but it is passable. The trake out at the campsite is poor, a steep possibly slippery bank.

    As David Fletcher suggested and I followed his advice last week (20/21 Aug) carry/trolley from the campsite to Honing Lock. A trolley with large wheels helps as the grass is uneven. It's about 300 yds with an awkward bit at the lock (ie have to carry for a few yards over a bridge and tree stump).

    Campsite hire is £50 for the day. No lights on campsite, so a headtorch is pretty essential.

    Have a good one, it's a lovely stretch of water with Kingfishers and perhaps otters?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Shefford, Central Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee View Post
    Easily canoeable (plenty of water, the odd floating log, but no fallen trees) from Wayford bridge to Honing Lock or vv. Honing Lock to the campsite is shallow but the main problem is not the depth, but overhanging nettles, brambles and small branches, but it is passable. The trake out at the campsite is poor, a steep possibly slippery bank.

    As David Fletcher suggested and I followed his advice last week (20/21 Aug) carry/trolley from the campsite to Honing Lock. A trolley with large wheels helps as the grass is uneven. It's about 300 yds with an awkward bit at the lock (ie have to carry for a few yards over a bridge and tree stump).

    Campsite hire is £50 for the day. No lights on campsite, so a headtorch is pretty essential.

    Have a good one, it's a lovely stretch of water with Kingfishers and perhaps otters?
    Thank you Suwannee for the info


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simms ..

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee View Post
    Easily canoeable (plenty of water, the odd floating log, but no fallen trees) from Wayford bridge to Honing Lock or vv. Honing Lock to the campsite is shallow but the main problem is not the depth, but overhanging nettles, brambles and small branches, but it is passable. The trake out at the campsite is poor, a steep possibly slippery bank.

    As David Fletcher suggested and I followed his advice last week (20/21 Aug) carry/trolley from the campsite to Honing Lock. A trolley with large wheels helps as the grass is uneven. It's about 300 yds with an awkward bit at the lock (ie have to carry for a few yards over a bridge and tree stump).

    Campsite hire is £50 for the day. No lights on campsite, so a headtorch is pretty essential.

    Have a good one, it's a lovely stretch of water with Kingfishers and perhaps otters?
    Thanks for the update. We are booked into canal camping this weekend. Our plan was to canoe from the campsite to Wayford and beyond on the 2 days we are there. After reading your post we are thinking of possibly canoeing from Neatishead Staithe. As I donít know the area well I am wondering what parking is like and how easy it will be to get in and out the water at Neatishead Staithe?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Not sure about Neatishead, I started at Barton Turf.
    Have a look at Paddlepoints, there are comments and photos.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reepham, Norfolk
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Gaye's Staithe, 200m further along the road, is better than Neatishead - usually more room, large adjacent car park and if you are lucky unlocked toilets.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    383

    Default

    On the Honing lock take out - if you go past the one in Suwanee's post and take the cut on the north side a bit further on and follow this to the end, the portage from there (across the bridge but otherwise the same) is slightly easier I found as there is less overhanging. The cut is not very deep and quite muddy, so may not be best if you are heavily loaded.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Going up to Dilham.....now for 4 days! Use Canal Camping a lot, but this time commuting to the Bure as part of my "paddle everywhere on the Broads that I can" programme.
    Just a superb, quiet site with the best owners.

    Take time if you can to visit the Museum of the Broads at Stalham (moor alongside)

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northampton
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Going up to Dilham.....now for 4 days! Use Canal Camping a lot, but this time commuting to the Bure as part of my "paddle everywhere on the Broads that I can" programme.
    Just a superb, quiet site with the best owners.
    Have
    Take time if you can to visit the Museum of the Broads at Stalham (moor alongside)
    have you tried their other site at hickling broad?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Shefford, Central Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Was at Dilham 2 weeks ago, the canal is very narrow. A better launch point is just below Honing lock, so I was told by the few paddlers there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simms ..

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Definitely. If you are at Canal camping (frequent visitor, just returned) use the path at the bottom of the field, a trolley is useful. and that leads straight to lock.
    (Use nearside footpath past the lock...)

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Yes

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Shefford, Central Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Yes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simms ..

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Try again...my post has gone AWOL.....

    Sorry , I was replying, poorly, to "davidfletcher" asking whether I hasd used Jo and Tom's site at Hickling, next to Catfield Staithe: yes I have and like very much both their sites...

    Just got back from another 3 day foray exploring the Broads in my wood canoe, although staying at Dilham, this time paddling the upper Bure...…

    Buxton Lammas access: not strictly the Broads and so not mentioned in Steve Maloney's excellent guide...…
    1/ Park and leave car and boat under the village sign, neatly, on the grass.
    2/ walk 50x over the bridge and immediately there is a small paddock, footpath, style and locked gate on the left. This will be your access, there is a sign there with the tel number of the landowner who couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. He is keen to encourage use of the river from here. His number (I think!) is 01603 279741, and he will unpadlock the gates, sort parking advice and access to the water very nearby. It's a little awkward but well worth it!

    He contrasts markedly with the money grabbing miseries at Salhouse Broad: recommend giving Salhouse a miss....anyway it's packed with moored motor cruisers, there are plenty of quieter places around.....

    (edited version copied and pasted on "Access" thread)
    Last edited by laurence milton; 15th-September-2019 at 06:54 PM.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Claxton
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Try again...my post has gone AWOL.....

    Sorry , I was replying, poorly, to "davidfletcher" asking whether I hasd used Jo and Tom's site at Hickling, next to Catfield Staithe: yes I have and like very much both their sites...

    Just got back from another 3 day foray exploring the Broads in my wood canoe, although staying at Dilham, this time paddling the upper Bure...…

    Buxton Lammas access: not strictly the Broads and so not mentioned in Steve Maloney's excellent guide...…
    1/ Park and leave car and boat under the village sign, neatly, on the grass.
    2/ walk 50x over the bridge and immediately there is a small paddock, footpath, style and locked gate on the left. This will be your access, there is a sign there with the tel number of the landowner who couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. He is keen to encourage use of the river from here. His number (I think!) is 01603 279741, and he will unpadlock the gates, sort parking advice and access to the water very nearby. It's a little awkward but well worth it!

    He contrasts markedly with the money grabbing miseries at Salhouse Broad: recommend giving Salhouse a miss....anyway it's packed with moored motor cruisers, there are plenty of quieter places around.....

    (edited version copied and pasted on "Access" thread)
    Hi Laurence, Is this access upstream or downstream of the Mill at Buxton? I've always fancied paddling upstream of the mill but know access has been difficult here.

    If its down stream, there is a car park at Little Hautbois a little way down stream that gives easy hassle free access.

    Cheers,

    Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Hi,

    The downstream access I'm guessing you refer to, is Mayton Bridge?
    The access at Lammas, I referred to, is immediately downstream of the mill, literally in the mill pool.

    I know you can canoe upstream with access somewhere a bit nearer the head of the Bure, but as yet have no knowledge of upstream access at Lammas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •