Thread: Info wanted-Solway Dory full size Bermudan rig measurements?

Default Info wanted-Solway Dory full size Bermudan rig measurements?

I am in the states and retired, so while I am very much impressed with SD's designs, I have insufficient funds to just buy from them new. So plan B is to find someone willing to take some quick measurements of the sail and mast and maybe a picture or two. I can do the rest from here. My brother is sending me some sails from an old Y flyer which should be enough oversized to use for sail material. I am wanting a main with the ability to reef around the mast and also have the mast fold down for a low bridge which lives between me and the main part of the lake. I can buy you a beer or something if there is any expense to cover. I can cast parts in aluminum and also have a milling machine and a metal lathe, and a mig welder. so if there is something you need fabricated, that might be an option too. My rig will be on a 16.5 foot square stern Grumman canoe with two 10 foot foam outriggers on it, so I don't think stability will be an issue.

Tillerman6

As there is a posibility that i will go for the smaller new rig so maybe i will depart form the bermudan rig. if you are not in a huury this could work.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

their briliance is hard to measure.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.

Default Reply to your offer

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    As there is a posibility that i will go for the smaller new rig so maybe i will depart form the bermudan rig. if you are not in a huury this could work.

Lennart 674149,

It is interesting that your name is Lennart. My closest friend was named Leonard and now he has passed on. He was a dear friend. Anyway, I am not in a real big hurry. I have some "donor" sails coming in the mail that might be the right overall size, but they will probably be of little use as I don't have a sewing machine or the skill to make my own sails anyway. I am working on a set of 10 foot outriggers and they are about 1/2 way complete.. So it will be about two weeks to a month before I am ready for a sail(s) for the canoe project. I have an old hang glider and it's sails and tubing, but the sail is pretty narrow and long, so adapting the sails on it is turning out to be a waste of time. The tubing is about right, but the sail is made into a sort of "bat wing" design with semi-rigid battens full length. So it will not roll up around the mast. And that is one thing that I have decided is a must do.

Please let me know what your possible time frame would be and your general location. I have had some good luck with DHL as a carrier. I cannot promise much in the way of money to pay for your sail, but we might work a trade if you think you might fancy a RC sailboat. . I have a radio controlled sailboat that I built from scratch and that is working great. It is an IOM or international ONe meter. Built in balsawood with Blackmagic main and jib. There are a lot of these being raced y in Great Britain. I am thinking you might enjoy the boat if you live in England or the EU. ?
    The boat is well balanced and has a legal 2.4 Ghz transmitter with telemetry feedback for the receiver battery voltage. Sail winch and aluminum spars from Sails etc. My problem with the boat is the creek I live on. - Usually fills with weeds about this time of year and stops my RC sailing completely. Also there are no other RC boats in my area.

My shop is set up for metal and wood. I can also do aluminum casting.

I have no interrest in a rc sailboat. Pm me for futher stuff. i live in the netherlands. there are a number of uk peolpe that i see this or next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennart View Post
    I have no interrest in a rc sailboat. Pm me for futher stuff. i live in the netherlands. there are a number of uk peolpe that i see this or next month.

Sounds good. But If we can't swap anything, I really just need use a couple of close up pictures and a few measurements. of the boom and mast. Did you say your boat was a canoe?