Thread: Hi from Glos.

Default Hi from Glos.

Hi all;

Found this site after reading lots of canoe-related posts on the BushcraftUK site. I built a stitch and glue canoe about three years ago and have done a bit with it on the Avon and on a few canals. Looking to do some flat water stuff mainly as I don't think it would take too many rocky bumps. Complete self-taught novice who just likes to potter. Thought I'd look at some canoe clubs to get started and meet like minded folks but they all seem to have a distinct white water kayak bias - any opinions/experience with clubs?

Joe

Hello and welcome, plenty of paddling round your area

Hello and Welcome!

Can't help you on the clubs specific, but there are definitely some with a strong open canoe side as well as the whitewater stuff, and joining makes sense. It might also give you access to club canoes if you ever fancy trying the white water bumpy stuff. There are other members closer who might recommend one.

Plenty of sheltered waters around you; Gloucs and Sharpness Canal, the Avon you mention, parts of the Severn. You've also got the lovely upper Thames not far away, everything between Lechlade and Oxford is quiet and surprisingly remote.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

Can't help you on the clubs specific, but there are definitely some with a strong open canoe side as well as the whitewater stuff, and joining makes sense. It might also give you access to club canoes if you ever fancy trying the white water bumpy stuff. There are other members closer who might recommend one.

Plenty of sheltered waters around you; Gloucs and Sharpness Canal, the Avon you mention, parts of the Severn. You've also got the lovely upper Thames not far away, everything between Lechlade and Oxford is quiet and surprisingly remote.
    Thanks, Mal.

Welcome from far away

I’d also check out the meetings section and just hook up with some like minded people too. They are mostly tame
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Great idea. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Welcome from far away

I’d also check out the meetings section and just hook up with some like minded people too. They are mostly tame

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I'll second that... the SoTP forum is so active and friendly, I never really found the need to join a club. But then, I'm like Groucho, I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member. Might see you on the Thames some time - I moved from Cheshire a few years ago and usually paddle the Avon, but haven't explored Lechlade to Oxford yet. First I need a(nother) canoe...
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

First I need a(nother) canoe...

It's still here waiting for you
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hello Joe,
    Don't know where You are in Gloucestershire but Highworth Canoe Club https://highworthcanoeclub.co.uk/ meet in Lechlade on Thursday evenings through the summer.

Slightly biased towards kayaks but they have open canoes as well.
    I learnt to paddle with them, on the Thames, using their boats before I bought my own boat.
    I'm still a member and get to most Thursday sessions, usually paddling my own boat, a plastic prospector.

As Mal Grey says the upper Thames is a great place for a gentle paddle, I was there last month, paddled from St John's lock (Lechlade) upstream to Hannington Bridge and back. Mostly flat and slow moving but a lot of weed in the river and fallen trees above and below the water upstream from Inglesham.

I managed to duck under the low branches and scrape over the submerged logs with only a couple more marks on the bottom of the boat, (Corelite X is tough!)
    Anywhere downstream from Lechlade

would be fine for a wooden boat, shallow in places but usually mud or fine gravel on the riverbed,
    not many rocks to worry about.
    The small car park at Cheese Wharf just outside Lechlade on the A417 towards Faringdon is a good place to launch from, Look out for white posts and iron railings on the left side of the road just after the bridge over the river.
    The hire shop in Lechlade, Cotswold Canoe Hire has some useful Thames information on their website under the river info tab.
    Last edited by Prospector Dave; 14th-August-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks, Dave.
    Useful information and thanks for the link. I am near Gloucester but I know Lechlade a little (I've been known to sing at the Trout Inn folk club occasionally...)

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Dave View Post
    Hello Joe,
    Don't know where You are in Gloucestershire but Highworth Canoe Club https://highworthcanoeclub.co.uk/ meet in Lechlade on Thursday evenings through the summer.
    Just had a look on the website - seems a nice, low key, welcoming club. Thanks again.

You're welcome, have a look on the Highworth Canoe Club Facebook page for more up to date information.