Thread: Unexpected day paddle on the river Dordogne

Default Unexpected day paddle on the river Dordogne

2 weeks ago I was with my wife dog sitting for friends just north of the Dordogne region in a small village called Payzac.

We spent the first few days exploring local chateaus, looking at fields of sunflowers and eating bread cheese and drinking red wine. We planned to visit a medieval town called Sarlat la Caneda which was lovely, whilst walking the streets and exploring we happened upon a river (honest guv).

Chatting to some expats later in the evening they mentioned that a lot of people canoe past the chateaus near Beynac? Next day we drove to Beynac and I found a canoe hire company and convinced my wife to return the next day.

We did so and hired a canoe for a day to complete a 28 k paddle. Picnic and drinks in hand we set off for a wonderful days paddling. Pics to follow

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

First pics from Sarlat and Beynac

Looks lovely mate!

Mind you, it looks ridiculously busy on the one photo!!!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

It was lovely, think the wye on steroids ... that said it was thankfully only like that for short stretches .probably 2-4 k stretches. The water was ridiculously warm in excess of 25c

Those unexpected trips are the best, and you managed to get a real canoe.
    28k is a serious journey.

Nick

This is the sort of blogg my wife sees and becomes a bit more interested in a canoe holiday
    John

All part of a cunning plan

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    This is the sort of blogg my wife sees and becomes a bit more interested in a canoe holiday
    You mean Jo's not been inspired by the Pirate Portages? Shocked!!!

You and Jo, and the girls if they wanted to join the old fogeys (probably depends who's payin'!), really should go and see MarkL and Louise sometime. You would LOVE the Cele and the Tarn, imagine all that fun you have in the water, jumping in, falling in, etc, etc, in clear WARM water, surrounded by huge limestone cliffs. With simple rapids if you want, or just drifting downstream as the sun beats down, sending you to the shade of a curving, pastel-coloured overhang where you can watch the fish swimming beneath you, or leap from the rocks into the clear waters. At the end of the day, you relax on a shaded campsite by the water, eating local produce and drinking the bier or the vino. Mind you, there's no Irn Bru and the don't squash their saucisson flat and square!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Impressive cunning and psychology in the execution of a well thought out master plan......Lovely looking part of the world.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus