Thread: Hello from North Derbyshire

Default Hello from North Derbyshire

Hello all,
    My name is Dan, and after a good few years of wanting a canoe, this week, I managed to purchase a discovery 169 from a lovely chap on Ebay (thanks Tim.)
    My aim is to enjoy as much time as possible with my 2 kids (11 and 12) but also get on a few trips with mates, wild camping etc.
    Whilst I understood that 169 relates to the length of 16ft 9inch, I was not really prepared for what that looks like in a canoe! Its bloody massive!
    I joined British canoeing yesterday, and intend to join the local canoe club. My boat (do we call them boats?) has 2 seats, an additional kneeling ghwart fitted by Tim that suited him when solo, a painter line at bow and stern and buoyancy bags (solid) at each end, both laced in. I'm on a pre booked canoe morning tomorrow, where I will hopefully get some tips from an expert in his slightly smaller discovery, and then hopefully will get mine on a local canal on Monday.
    Some questions please...
    I have 2 paddles, but at 6ft 3, think I need a longer one, any advice on choosing length/types/brands?

I have a PFD for each of the kids, but not one that fits me, advice please.

I have mentioned all the kit I have, apart from the trolley for Portage etc, what am I missing?

What dont i know I don't know, i.e what would you go back in time and tell yourself?

Based on my geographical location, any ideal spots for a beginner?

Cheers

Dan

Hello and Welcome!

Firstly, location. I'd head for the Chesterfield canal. Safe place to learn. Have a look on Paddle Points for launch points: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePo...n=Chesterfield

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing the right things, club, British Canoeing, paddling with others.

Your PFD definitely needs sorting, you may be able to borrow a club one for a bit? The single most important thing is that it fits you, and doesn't ride up when you're floating.

If you're going to use the kneeling thwart, get a foam mat ("Mechanics mats") are good, or knee pads. Otherwise, sounds like you have it all, though you'll want a few drybags at some point I'm sure.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Mal,
    Probably on the Chesterfield canal on Monday, as I live a mile away, and work next to it!
    Good tip for the website thanks, I'll have a look.
    I'll pop and get a kneeling mat tomorrow.

I was going to get a pfd from Amazon, but yes, trying it on first makes more sense, so I'll find a local supplier.

I have a 50 voucher for Amazon, so will possibly get a couple of dry bags with that!

Any thoughts on paddle length?

Cheers

Your paddle choice will likely depend on your budget. Personally I'm not keen on plastic paddles and I'll normally point towards Grey Owl paddles, which are good mid range paddles and not overly expensive in the paddle world.
    Here's their range https://greyowlpaddles.com/paddles/ in amongst which there's a sizing guide. These guides are not set in stone though as we're all built differently, have different boats and paddle them in different ways e.g. sitting, kneeling and heeled over.
    In the Grey owl range, the Voyageur is a good all round paddle to start off with and for deeper waters, any of the longer bladed paddles like the Guide or Chieftain will do a decent job.
    A lot of people start off with Carlisle paddles, which tend to be at the cheaper end of wooden paddles that are available. I have no experience of them myself.

I'm 6' 2" and for normal paddling I use a 60" Grey Owl Sugar Island which is similar to the Voyageur but an inch wider and it has an offset grip. I also have a 58" version which I get along with fine as well.
    For deeper waters I use a longer blade which is similar in shape to the Grey Owl Cherry Chieftain and is 61" long.

There's a Big Meet going on next weekend at Barrow Upon Soar. If you could get yourself to it there'll be loads of paddles about that people will let you look at and possibly try out.
    Failing that, if you have a dealer nearby, get yourself along there and see what different paddles feel like in your hands. Feel the difference between a pear shaped grip and a T grip as I'm sure you'll have a preference once you try them.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 11th-August-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Thanks for that old man.

I have been on an organised trip today on the Cromford canal, and used a paddle that was about 3 inches below my chin when stood up. I will take your advice and wait until I get a chance to try some out before I spend any money!

Loved it this morning with my 2 kids and 2 friends, needless to say, after some messing about, we managed to tip the boat over, and with help from Chris at Peaks and Paddles, my lad managed to get back in the canoe. However, by then, I was 6 inch deep in mud, so got out at the side, but I glad my 11 year old isn't scared of falling in now!

Cheers

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by drsmirnoff View Post
    Thanks for that old man.

I have been on an organised trip today on the Cromford canal, and used a paddle that was about 3 inches below my chin when stood up. I will take your advice and wait until I get a chance to try some out before I spend any money!

Loved it this morning with my 2 kids and 2 friends, needless to say, after some messing about, we managed to tip the boat over, and with help from Chris at Peaks and Paddles, my lad managed to get back in the canoe. However, by then, I was 6 inch deep in mud, so got out at the side, but I glad my 11 year old isn't scared of falling in now!

Cheers

Dan
    You're welcome and I'm glad that you and your kids are enjoying it.
    With regard to paddles, if the song of the paddle starts to sing to you really loudly, you'll want to replace your initial paddle purchase with something nicer and more expensive in the future .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    You're welcome and I'm glad that you and your kids are enjoying it.
    With regard to paddles, if the song of the paddle starts to sing to you really loudly, you'll want to replace your initial paddle purchase with something nicer and more expensive in the future .
    Blimey, I hope my missus does not see this, the benefit of this Ebay purchase was it had everything we needed, and I have spent another 50 on Amazon last night buying canoe related bits!

Ah well, she has been on at me to get some exercise, so it's her fault really!

I don't want to be "all the gear, no idea, so think I will find my feet, and start saving!

Cheers

Thanks!

I don't want to be "all the gear, no idea, so think I will find my feet, and start saving!

Good strategy, but wait till you let it slip in front of your wife that you fancy a different boat
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I was thinking an additional boat ����

I was thinking an additional boat 🤣😂

Now you're getting into the spirit of things - you can't beat a fleet
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I’m the same height as you and was worried about paddles being too short. Now I find myself preferring the shorter paddles that I have. I think that like boat style, paddle length is not as important as people think. As long as the paddle gets your canoe moving and your canoe gets you were you want to be you have the right gear

Of course you can rarely have too much gear
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I’m the same height as you and was worried about paddles being too short. Now I find myself preferring the shorter paddles that I have. I think that like boat style, paddle length is not as important as people think. As long as the paddle gets your canoe moving and your canoe gets you were you want to be you have the right gear

Of course you can rarely have too much gear
    Thanks John,

I suspect I'm getting carried away. After a day on Cromford canal, and realising I need to work out how to go in the direction I want to, before deciding how to get divorced due to overspending, I think I'll go more tortoise than hair in my journey of understanding all that is canoeing.

Chris, the leader today at Cromford showed me how to lift my canoe today and carry it with the yoke, and I've just managed to do 3 squats without dropping it in the garden.

Any ideas on how I can get my 16 foot 9 inch canoe onto the roof bars of my L200 on my own? Truck has a back box/canopy on.

Loving the site, really like the reviews of the fire box/water filters etc.

Planned an afternoon on Chesterfield canal tomorrow, including some portage, with a mate. Also, my 82 year old dad wants one now!

You have the same vehicle as me too. I lift mine on from the side but it is probably not the most efficient way of doing it and is probably terrible for you back. Big Al has a great method. Dr Joe did a modified version of it here, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ng-on-the-roof
    John

John

You have the same vehicle as me too. I lift mine on from the side but it is probably not the most efficient way of doing it and is probably terrible for you back. Big Al has a great method. Dr Joe did a modified version of it here, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ng-on-the-roof
    Being the sales manager of a Mitsubishi dealership helps! It's right next to a canal as well, so when our new showroom is completed, I may even store the canoe on top of an L200 in the showroom as a display!

Love both of those methods, I'll probably adopt a hybrid!

Being the sales manager of a Mitsubishi dealership helps! It's right next to a canal as well, so when our new showroom is completed, I may even store the canoe on top of an L200 in the showroom as a display!
    Now that, is a plan!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I started with just the roof bars on the cab as you see in this blogg, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nd-and-comfort but now have bars on the back box so I can add wider bars when I have two canoes as seen in this blogg, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nd-an-old-hand
    John

I started with just the roof bars on the cab as you see in this blogg, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nd-and-comfort but now have bars on the back box so I can add wider bars when I have two canoes as seen in this blogg, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nd-an-old-hand
    Love it. The series 5 is really good I think, a nice mix between comfort and durability! Next one I order for me will hve bars on the back!