Thread: Help needed for sailing canoe project!

Default Help needed for sailing canoe project!

Guys and Gals:

I'm working with the Frankensailer canoe and right now just working on a DIY gooseneck for my existing 1.5" diameter aluminum tubing from an old hang glider. I have the rudder pretty much ready, and the mast base is glued down. The mast thwart is mocked up in plywood and a stub mast is installed in the thwart and base. The boom is also the same diameter in the same material. But any commercial parts i can find are made for larger tubing like the Laser gooseneck. I can fabricate something, but any ideas would be helpful.

The Optimist dinghy uses a thing that looks a lot like a plastic rowlock - a thing which itself might be pressed into service.

https://www.optimistonline.com/acata...tplugs-p1.html
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Default Row lock Allen for Solway Dory - Source identified

Dougr,

Thanks again- I got some help with finding the Row Lock as it is called. These are pretty inexpensive for a change. Part number is AL 0290-GY for a 1.5" or 38mm mast.
    These can be had from Mylor Chandlery.co.uk

But just as I was about to order one, i realized that this would only be the first of many parts needed to make up the SD Bermudan rig. And the shipping was 10 pounds whearas the part was 2 pounds and some change. So I am waiting till I can find the whole parts list and just pay one shipping fee.

I don't need to use the same brands as SD uses of course, and I'm a big fan of Harken stuff, so as soon as I can figure out a sort of generic set of parts I will start ordering everything needed. If anyone does have a SD Bermudan rig and they want to help out, all I really need is a general count of the mast and boom hardware.

Topper use the same goosneck fitting, though probanly no cheaper. Everything for boats costs more than expected (we have an Aero, a Blaze, a Laser and three Toppers in our family fleet.) Mirror gooseneck with a bit of metal bashing might fit, Trident uk stock them. Pity you don't declair your base as I might have what you need, or be able to direct you to other possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Topper use the same goosneck fitting, though probanly no cheaper. Everything for boats costs more than expected (we have an Aero, a Blaze, a Laser and three Toppers in our family fleet.) Mirror gooseneck with a bit of metal bashing might fit, Trident uk stock them. Pity you don't declair your base as I might have what you need, or be able to direct you to other possibilities

Impcanoe,

After a little more research, looks like the rowlock is about the only thing that would be hard to find on this side of the pond. I appreciate your response, but I'm confused "pity you don't declair your base". ???

They have a saying over here too. Boat = "a hole in the water in which to pour money" And it fits.

Which continent are you on?

Knowing that can save you from all manner of mad suggestions

If you had filled in the bit on your personal details saying you lived in Zanadoo like Kubla Khan, I wouldn't have been giving you british firms for bits, and had it been nescessary, I could have used transatlantic terminology. Small ribs (rigid inflatable boats ) and tenders have a comparatively short life, and many use removeable rollocks (rowlocks). A hunt round the trash area of your local boat yard may prove a very cheap source of the fitting you require.

Spinnaker pole ends and mast fittings would also resist the loads from a canoe sail, and again your local chandler may be able to find you one on broken masts or poles en route to the scrap yard.

Finally the cheapo solution. A shackle fastened to the mast with light line, and frapped for tightening would receive a line loop lashed to your boom. If you can find one of appropriate size go for a captive pin version, to save dropping the all important pin at the wrong moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post

Impcanoe,

After a little more research, looks like the rowlock is about the only thing that would be hard to find on this side of the pond. I appreciate your response, but I'm confused "pity you don't declair your base". ???

They have a saying over here too. Boat = "a hole in the water in which to pour money" And it fits.

The "declare your base" means tell us where you are.

We can probably provide suggestions which match your location - but if you live in North America there's no point in my suggesting you visit Pinnel and Bax.

Similarly if you have the misfortune to live where the natives don't speak english - we could point out that some people use the word oarlock in place of rowlock.
    Last edited by DougR; 17th-August-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Please excuse my lack of understanding. Yes I'm in North Idaho. I would very much like to come and visit, but it's quite a long way.

I Think Solway Dory decided to use the Rowlocks - That was not my doing, just what was done by them, and your English company Allen gave them that name. I guess they are mostly intended to be used for oar locks, but SD found another use!

I am learning !

Thanks for the reply!

All very True and corrrect, but I just ordered a couple from Mylor Chandlery part number AL 0290-GY for less than 3 pounds.

Your SOTP website is fantastic!

Hey all,

Just FYI from the wild West- Sorry I didn't check my profile again after I joined up with your outfit. All my details were missing- could have sworn I put em' in there, but they are in there now for sure! North Idaho USA about 50 miles from Canada. Dam sure is canoe country! So I'm declarin' my base! Sagle Idaho!

I am trying to follow your project but with it being spread over at least 8 threads I may have missed something.
    If you are proposing a trimaran rather than a canoe with small floats, the potential stresses on the mast can be much greater.

On a sailing canoe if a gust hits, the canoe heels or may capsize, the limiting factor is the righting moment provide by the crew.
    On a trimaran there is so much stability high stresses can be developed.

This point is made in the last paragraph of this web page.
    http://www.ocsg.org.uk/members-boats/roy-bonner/

I understand this idea and I am planning to add side stays and a fore stay to take most of the stress off the mast.

Since my mast is unique, and it has to fold down for a bridge, it will need stays anyway to make it quickly pull the mast back up and support it on the other side of my low bridge.

The stays will be attached to the very peak of the mast to a special triangular shaped plate or wire harness which can rotate around a central bolt/bushing. This allows the mast to rotate for reefing.

There will be a socket tube at the mast base with a notch in it's upper end. It will pivot fore and aft for the bridge and be sliding - loose fit for the mast itself.

On the outside rear surface of this short tube, there will be a strap eye for the kicker.

The pivot point for the mast will either be on top of the mast thwart or possibly in the bottom of the canoe. This will be decided by ergonomics and possibly from advice from learned canoe folks as well.

I do appreciate your inputs and take them to heart, but the stays will work and un-load the bending moment that normally would impinge on the mast at the hole in the mast thwart.

My main focus right now however is to complete my outriggers before the lake is let down for the season!

After that time I will be a "trailer sailor" again and have to take the boat down the highway to find enough deep water to launch in!

Wish me luck!

I'm sorry if I was hard to follow, but I couldn't get enough help on just one thread, and time is short on my end.