Thread: Protective cover for 16ft canoe suggestions please

Default Protective cover for 16ft canoe suggestions please

Having just purchased a Hou Prospector which because of itís size I have to keep outdoors, I am now looking for a good quality, weather proof cover. I have hunted the internet and can only come up with one that costs around £130. Is there an alternative that Iíve not found? I realise you ďget what you pay forĒ and Iím sure the one Iíve found would be fantastic. I just donít think I can get away with spending so much having just blown our holiday fund on the canoe!!!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Where do you live ?
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hello and welcome!

A temporary solution would be a cheap tarpaulin over it, but with something between that and the hull to make an air gap to prevent mankiness growing.

Or just do what many of us do and don't bother, they're very durable. You can use Aerospace 303 spray to help prevent slow UV damage; I pretend I do this regularly but never quite get round to it...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Spooky!
    This popped up on E-Bay yesterday and might be worth a try for a few pounds. Looks a bit like a motorcycle cover I used to use.

Boat covers

That's a good find!

I bought a cheap, grey, waterproof and UV protecting, breathable fabric car cover from eBay, £22 or thereabouts, to use as a dust sheet for our canoe, as it lives suspended in the garage. It has a rough grey poly/cotton-type fabric on the outside and a thin white fleece lining. It's waaayyy oversized widthways ( I got one for a large estate car, and checked the measurements would be OK lengthwise). The excess material can be bunched up underneath, but I intend attacking it with scissors to cut off the excess and sew it back together in a more approximate shape of a canoe. There are many of these suppliers on ebay, they're usually available in a range of colours, some are more nylon-type fabric, all around £20-£30. A search for "breathable UV car cover XL" should get close. Maybe not much more protection than a tarp, but neat looking, and breathable, although I'd still allow airflow.

These things are not particularly robust outdoors, but I had one on my motorbike for 2 years outdoors, being taken off and put back on every day, in all weathers, before it became scrappy. It was probably not 100% waterproof after the first 18months, but it kept the UV, bird poo, scratchy stuff, and general airborne grime off. Your canoe will probably be used far less often, and so that will put less stress on the cover. I'd keep the canoe supported off the floor. Cats seem incapable of not peeing on the cover if it reaches the floor....There's mildew, and there's cat-pee-mildew.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Where do you live ?
    The reason I asked this question was, I thought that if you live anywhere in my vicinity I could tell you where you can get one made.
    However, as I have the time I just phoned up the guy who's made three covers for me to find out what he's now charging. The cost for a cover for your boat would now be £65 and he also said that he can post it for £15 as long as you don't live in the outer Hebrides e.g
    He made my first one around 2012 and it's still going strong and has easily outlasted an expensive Danuu cover I once had, that eventually turned green and rotted away.
    The material used is similar to the stuff used on the pullback sides of lorries, but not as heavy duty. It doesn't sweat or hold moisture like some other materials and it goes over the hull of the canoe, so that when the boat is turned upside down for storage, the underside is open and allows airflow around the interior of the boat, which helps prevent the wooden fittings rotting. The cover has eyelets along each edge which are threaded with bungee cord which in turn is held in place on the boat with hooks.
    I have no vested interested in whether you buy from this company, but I would recommend the product as I've been very pleased with my covers. I would say that they aren't lightweight though.

Here's the first one I had made and underneath it is a cheap tarp that I used to use, which is what I used to used initially and it's something I wouldn't recommend except for short term use as Mal said.

Moving on to cheap tarps as in the bottom of the pic, they hold moisture which can discolour your boat over time and where it's strapped down, permanent marks occur.
    I certainly wouldn't recommend a cover that envelops your boat completely which the ones in the link appear to do. Boats with plastic or aluminium gunnels generate their own moisture with changes in ambient temperature, so with a complete cover there's no escape for it, so the fittings inside the boat will rot quicker.

As mentioned by Ga34 above, I think you'll find that the Chinese covers won't last that long in permanent outdoor usage, but of course you can get nearly 4 of those for the price of mine. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Should my cover interest you, it would entail me taking one of mine to the shop so they can use it as a template and it wouldn't be made immediately as they're normally busy.
    Regardless of what you decide, using Aerospace 303 as Mal mentioned is a good idea because your boat won't always be under cover.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 8th-August-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Thanks for that. 303 spray ordered. Perhaps my search for a cover won’t feel quite so urgent. I’m assuming this 303 stuff won’t discolour the plastic.

I have one of these for my kayak but it only really gets used when I cannot fit the boat in my shed. The canoe will be out all year round so maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and get one of these expensive ones. The one I’ve found comes with a 5 year guarantee. Not sure why I’m dithering really!

Quote Originally Posted by BentSpike View Post
    Thanks for that. 303 spray ordered. Perhaps my search for a cover won’t feel quite so urgent. I’m assuming this 303 stuff won’t discolour the plastic.
    No it won't discolour your boat, it will enhance the look. Make sure you apply to the outer Hull only as it's slippery and you might drop the boat if you get it on the gunnels.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Wow, thank you. So much information. Your tailor-made cover, with postage, is still cheaper than the one I’ve been looking at. It sounds ideal. I’m a bit confused though when you say they’ll need yours as a pattern. Is this not their normal market? If you were good enough to go there for me, would you take your boat or your cover? Do we have the same boat? I live in a small village on the outskirts of Blisworth by the way. I don’t suppose you’re local are you? Questions, questions, questions. Sorry. Many thanks. Andrew

I live in a small village on the outskirts of Blisworth
    Not that far from where I was bought up just outside Bedford. I'm in Somerset now.

Is this not their normal market?
    No it isn't, but they'll try and turn their hand to anything that concerns canvas and rope type things. They're only a small concern which started many years ago in the rope industry I believe. They're under different ownership now and will have a go at most things if it will make them a profit. I first used them in the early 70s and at the time I think most of their work was making canvas load covers for lorries.

would you take your boat or your cover
    I would take a cover. I took a boat for the first one, after which I took that as a template for the second two.

No, your boat won't be exactly the same shape as mine, but I've had these covers on a total of 7 or 8 boats including the current three, all of which have had a slightly different shape. The original was made for a 16' boat, but I've used them on 15' boats as well. Obviously the fit isn't as good, but as long as the boat is covered it doesn't matter. It's just a matter of pulling the bungee tighter.

If you look at the rear of this pic, that's a 15' Prospector with a 16' cover on it. Not a perfect fit on this boat but it does the job.

Have a think about it and then let me know if you want to proceed with this. If so, we'll continue the conversation via PM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Iíve been using a cheap cover I got from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Univ.../dp/B07233PV4H

Seems to do the job - I have 3 for a couple of canoes and a sea kayak. the biggest one is a tight fit on our Legend 16.

Leaves the boat open underneath. Fairly lightweight so perhaps only good for a few years but have had deployed for over a year now and no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Okay guys and gals, whilst the OP has not come back to me about a bespoke canoe cover, someone else has.
    So if anyone else wants one it would be best to shout out now, as then I would only have to take my own cover into the shop for a template once and it will obviously be much easier for them to make however many are wanted at the same time.
    If there are any takers, I would require payment by bank transfer up front and I will pay the manufacturer.
    I should reiterate that I have no connection with this company other than as a customer and I cannot guarantee how long it will take once the order has gone in.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hi Old Man, if you’re still willing, I’d like to take you up on your offer. I measured my boat last night and it’s a couple of inches short of 16ft so I think a cover like your would be spot on. Let me know how you’d like to proceed, and thank you.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by BentSpike View Post
    Hi Old Man, if youíre still willing, Iíd like to take you up on your offer. I measured my boat last night and itís a couple of inches short of 16ft so I think a cover like your would be spot on. Let me know how youíd like to proceed, and thank you.
    Andrew

Hi Andrew, yep happy to proceed. Lets give it a couple of days to see if there's any other takers before I cut it off and put in an order. In the meantime send me your name and address via a PM and then when I cut it off I'll send you my bank details and you and any others can send payment before I place the order.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hi BentSpike

I am going to get one of these and am not far from you. To save on postage I am happy to receive both and drop yours off - or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterymike View Post
    Hi BentSpike

I am going to get one of these and am not far from you. To save on postage I am happy to receive both and drop yours off - or vice versa.
    Not sure if that will work Mike, the £15 postage was for anything weighing less than 20kgs. Two covers may weigh in excess of that as they're not light and I don't know how much each one is and I doubt the maker will either until he's made one.
    However, weather permitting I'm due to uncover a canoe on Monday, so if it happens I'll weigh a cover.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Not sure if that will work Mike, the £15 postage was for anything weighing less than 20kgs. Two covers may weigh in excess of that as they're not light and I don't know how much each one is and I doubt the maker will either until he's made one.
    However, weather permitting I'm due to uncover a canoe on Monday, so if it happens I'll weigh a cover.
    Good news guys, the last cover I had made is less than 6kgs, so packaging two together should be feasible as I can't imagine the packaging would weigh more than 8kgs.
    I intend to ring the guy either tomorrow or Tuesday to ensure he's able to make them in the not too distant future and ask about the double packaging. I'll let you know.

It's not looking like there's any further interest in this, but just in case anyone else is considering a cover, I'm going to cease taking orders this coming Tuesday evening so I can get the order in this week as I have other things looming.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Okay, I've spoken to the guy today and he's happy to make the current two, or more if needed.
    As I already mentioned, I'll stop taking orders tomorrow evening, so PM me if you want one and I'll need the money up front by bank transfer before I place an order.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hi Mike, I’m assuming OldMan can see this too. I apologise to you both for my tardiness. We just had the Bilsworth Canal Festival weekend that both my wife & I are quite heavily involved in and, to be honest, I have no idea where the last three days have gone. I am easy about sharing postage or just paying to have it delivered here. I don”t want to keep Old Man waiting any longer than necessary so, Mike, if you’re still ok to deliver and you get back to me in the next 30 minutes or so, I’ll go with that. Otherwise, it”s really not a problem just paying the £80. I guess if you’re as local as you say, we may even get to go for a paddle together, it’d be nice to have a fellow paddler nearby. Anyway, i’m Now going to write to Old Man and give him my measurements. I’ll check back in a while and if I don’t hear anything I’ll not worry and I’ll just send the money to have it delivered direct. Whatever the outcome, thank you both for the help you’ve given me.

Happy paddling, Andrew

I am ok either way. Happy to drop yours off, we might even find we have met before. Will wait and see what Old Man says.

Andrew, there you are and I have your PM with the measurements. I'll reply here to you both to save me writing two PMs.
    I'll get both covers sent to Mike and you can liaise with each other as to how you will get yours.
    So if you'll both be kind enough to get £72.50 each to me via bank transfer, I'll get the order in on Weds probably and then I'm off to France with the proceeds (only joking ).

Andrew, I have mentioned to Mike that once the order is in, I'll have no control over how long it will take but I'll ask for a ball park date when I place the order. As I'll be away soon I'll PM you both his details so you can phone him if it's taking too long.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Paid. And thanks again.
    andrew.

All monies now received for current orders, thanks guys.
    Grandchildren permitting I'll get the order in tomorrow.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Assuming others are happy with their covers when delivered I think that the supplier's details would be worth publicising for others to order in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish Blues View Post
    Assuming others are happy with their covers when delivered I think that the supplier's details would be worth publicising for others to order in future.
    It's a fair point and I'm sure he wouldn't mind the business, but as things stand I'd have to take my cover in every time as a template.
    I will ask him on this occasion if he wants to take and keep the measurements of mine for future reference with regard to possible future business.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

UPDATE::

Okay guys, your order went in just now and he has your money and it will be at least 2 weeks before manufacture starts. As I've already pointed out, their timing a usually a bit tardy, so I'd say if you've received nothing in 4 weeks, then give them a ring to gee them up. I will be in France in 4 weeks time, but if you feel the need, you can ring me and I can ring them. Do be aware though, that where I'll be is pretty rural and phone signals are sporadic and whilst we haven't tested the wi fi, we're told it's very hit and miss.
    Andrew; MysteryMike has my number and the company details should you need to make contact. Your cover will be sent to Mike.

RE Future Orders; They will be happy to make more covers in the future and said they will take measurements from mine now to accommodate that. My cover was made to fit a 16' boat of what I'd term are normal dimensions e.g. my NC Pal. Some prospectors or other odd shapes might need adjustment of sizes e.g whilst I'm pretty certain that my cover will fit Andrews Hou 16' Prospector, I've asked for his cover to be made 2" wider along both sides, so 4" extra width in total just to be on the safe side.
    I made templates out of cardboard for each of the 3 covers because they're all different, so I hope to God they are all okay as it will be on my head if they're not !!

PLEASE be aware for any future orders, that the current price quoted of £65 for a standard cover like mine is a cash price only. Debit/credit card transactions will incur VAT. So if you want to save the VAT, you'll still have to pay me and I can then pay them.

Assuming that the current three covers get a good reception, I will post the company details here when I return from holiday.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman