Thread: River Stour, Suffolk. (Nayland)

Default River Stour, Suffolk. (Nayland)

For a few weeks now, just down from the Anchor Pub, the river is bone dry, it is no longer a river. Always a shallow area it is now dry for several hundred yards with occasional holes holding water.

Apparently the EA are not topping up from the Ouse as is normal?

The EA issued a Restrictions Notice back in July, there is an issue with the gate up river at Bures Mill, letting all the water out hence this stretch is now bone dry.
    I share the notices from the EA on several local canoeing Facebook sites.

I walked past last Monday and yep, very little water even though there had been more rain. Some beautiful trout in the few deeper pools though, just up from the shallowest bits.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Update: gate fixed, now water flowing through (though for portaging it still stinks..*) Nayland. Water levels now "normal" for summer. ie the canoe will float but you will walk..

(When will I get to paddle this river with Mal? Dream on...….)

* Bures sluice, that is....
    Last edited by laurence milton; 13th-August-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks for the update. I know it's not your thing but the annual s2c event does seem to ensure that things get fixed/cleared/mended at least once a year!

https://www.riverstourtrust.org/even...ry-to-the-sea/

Ha Ha! Too true, I do like to enjoy the river in quiet.....although I have done the medic/sweeper uper thing for them in the past !

Yes they (the event) will barge a clearance of some summer reed growth, but most of the river clearance of branches/litter, etc is now done by a bunch of volunteers throughout the summer, with the Trust looking after the short stretch to Henny and another around Stratford/Dedham.

Hi Laurence,
    to be honest I was thinking more of the EA tree clearance. I get the impression that the existence of the event lends some priority to getting the larger stuff cleared at least once a year - or at least it seems that way.

Of course, many thanks to all who contribute to keeping the river clear.
    The state of the river when the gates break does rather show that were it not for the original locking of the river and the great ouse transfer scheme, there really wouldn't be much of a river at all in some stretches during much of the year, so for all we enjoy it for being "in nature" it is a largely man made thing.
    Last edited by Willpower; 16th-August-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
    Hi Laurence,
    to be honest I was thinking more of the EA tree clearance. I get the impression that the existence of the event lends some priority to getting the larger stuff cleared at least once a year - or at least it seems that way.

Of course, many thanks to all who contribute to keeping the river clear.
    The state of the river when the gates break does rather show that were it not for the original locking of the river and the great ouse transfer scheme, there really wouldn't be much of a river at all in some stretches during much of the year, so for all we enjoy it for being "in nature" it is a largely man made thing.
    Indeed it does......so very true

Looks like we're not quite out of the woods yet:
    a dry summer followed by a dry winter means that even the wet June has not made a dent in the deficit

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._July_2019.pdf

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Sum...-01/2019-08-31

Nayland still has problems downstream

https://twitter.com/EnvAgencyAnglia/...18562956435457

Nothing flowing over Cornard weir the other day, so downstream is just going to be worse. The Organiser of S2C was talking about organising people to portage a fair old hike along the river bed at Nayland………....or not?

Unhappy

I guess I'd better order another tin of varnish then as the outlook for the next few weeks is not going to fix things. I can't think that 300 boats portaging along the river bed is a particularly good idea.

Anybody know what it's like from Cattawade up to Dedham at the moment, can't find any info on EA sites (but probably me looking in the wrong place tbh)

Any info gratefully received

Although I don't have recent first hand knowledge, that stretch is not normally a problem, as there are no particularly shallow/drying bits, so should be fine.
    Or.…….. ok?

Water levels are good, as you thought they would be, but lots of weed from Cattawade up to Flatford (though they were clearing it when we came back)

Nice paddle, lots of wildlife on the lower stretch in particular.

Good stuff!

Will be clearing river from Nayland to Stratford this w/e...…...

A couple of new notices from EA - I have posted on the Facebook site
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2319...0937/?sfnsn=mo

Do I read that right? That they possibly intend to do the netting in conjunction to the S2C event with about 300 craft
    progressing past...………????

It says one day only, I hope they have the sense not to choose a weekend and definitely not the S2C weekend having sent a notice on the same day.

Edit: different dates so no clash

UPDATE : been out today from Nayland to Stratford on river clearance. Downstream from Nayland (100x from Anchor Pub) as previously mentioned is dry, save the odd puddle, and dry for several hundred metres on and off. From here to approaching Boxted Mill is very shallow and any stretches are very shallow and clogging with blanket weed as the water remains still and warm.
    From Boxted Mill things improve with the odd shallow patch, the river clear and looking beautiful. Lots of kingfishers today!
    At the Flumes flow is much diminished and next weekend with the S2C event, many will be tempted to paddle the Flumes. Below is very restrictive with lots of rocks.
    From there on , clear paddling at least to Stratford

Thanks Laurence, I shall bring the wellies and portage the flumes as last year :-( The small people will be disappointed but the boat will thank me. Is there still a problem with the sluice at Boxted or is this just the effect of multiple dry years?

AS far as I'm aware (I think you may mean Bures Sluice...for that had a problem?), it's just a compounding of no rain, no top up from the Ouse, and still abstracting to feed Colchester. It's a sad sight...…………..

As per local news: the Stour through Nayland is now flowing with all the rain we've had, but it is still only a few inches deep there in places
    Last edited by laurence milton; 19th-October-2019 at 09:47 AM.