Thread: Washburn Boaterfest 2019

Default Washburn Boaterfest 2019

This past year or so, Washburn releases have been rarer than water in rivers... but all of a sudden England's premier dam released river is back in business... so it's once again time to party

Details are all at www.boaterfest.uk - but briefly:

WASHBURN CANOE & KAYAK FESTIVAL 2019

Two days of Playboating & Boater-X / Races with a BBQ & a Party at England’s Premier Dam Release River!

Sat 17th August & Sunday 18th August 2019

Thanks to Yorkshire Water we’re expecting a Saturday AND Sunday release – so Pennine Canoe and Kayak Club are opening up the river for uninterrupted boating – and Kool Kayakers offering outstanding catering – and the Washburn Committee is offering camping with a BBQ – and yes, EVERYONE IS WELCOME!

Note: you may recall this report on our last Washburn Boaterfest - click to read

If you're not familiar with the Washy take a look here:

Lots more info on the website: www.boaterfest.uk

Uninterrupted boating for 2 days? I was walking there yesterday and both Lindley Wood & Swinsty are very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodesic View Post
    Uninterrupted boating for 2 days? I was walking there yesterday and both Lindley Wood & Swinsty are very low.
    Earlier in the year we were told levels were at least 10% down on the extrene drought levels of last year - and began to despair - but that was the worst bit!

Because of the engineering works at Lindley Wood reservoir, Yorkshire Water need to keep the water higher up the system - so we have actually had a release curtailed because of lack of capacity downstream!

I despaired of getting any meaningful programme together for this year but the last news was genuinely encouraging - so we're promoting the event and keeping fingers crossed!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Uninterrupted? Normally it goes off from 5pm Sat to 8am Sun?

Unfortunately I am once again otherwise engaged that weekend or I would have come down for it, I always enjoy Washburn and have been twice this year already and am booked in for September...

For anyone who doesn't know it, Washburn is a small fast flowing river that it technically at the easiest end of the white water scale, but because it is fast flowing and has few large eddies it can provide a similar challenge to slightly harder rivers if you choose to try for all the small eddies and features. Alternatively you can cruise down the middle and just pick the large eddies for a much easier paddle.
    There are 2 small drops (weirs), the first is just above the second bridge/ford where most people take out for repeat runs of the upper part and is very small and easy to run anywhere (but the weak spot is to the right for reference), the other is a couple of bends after the bridge and is probably worth taking a look at before you get that far, it is not difficult to run but the landing is shallow and long boats sometimes take knocks on it. From the second weir to the woodyard (alternative take out about 3km downstream) is lovely scenic paddle with easy rapids.

The whole valley is wooded and very pretty and tranquil, providing plenty of shade (except the top car park).

How hard can it be?