Thread: Getting Rid of Bamboo...

Default Getting Rid of Bamboo...

Getting Rid of Bamboo...
    I am at present 75% through digging up and getting rid of two very much out-of-control Bamboo plants that have been in my back garden for the last 17yrs. A crying shame really, as they used to envelope my arbour, where, whatever the weather, I could go out and practice some outdoor cooking......before then going on then to cock-it up at the next planned canoe trip!

Anyway, what I have done so far, after cutting the bamboo to ground level, is chop down in to the soil, by axe and mash hammer, and also 'full-on' pix axe, to not only break-up the tenacious routes, but also to isolate the heart of the routes from anymore horizontal movement, especially into my neighbours garden. Where shoots are now present, some nearly 6' high and some intermingled with existing plants at a lower level.

I have so far 'beat the living daylights' out of the soil and the remaining roots, and believe now that they wont propagate any further, prior to my lad and I now digging out the soil and removing it totally.

The question now remaining is: Will this beast of a plant re-generate from any root that we may have missed, though having isolated the heart of the roots horizontally and decimated them from above? - Whilst at present keeping them very much covered from daylight.

And advice from anybody that has dealt with a similar situation would be greatly appreciated

MB.

The Not Too Constant Gardener....
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Some bamboos are by nature very invasive - and it it's gone next door then they have the problem too.....

RHS advice
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=210
    This post may vanish at any moment.

I've used 'SBK' brushwood and stump killer in situations like this with great success. Expose as much bare root as possible and brush on the solution. Cover with black polythene or similar and replace the soil. Keep a look out for any new shoots and apply more SBK as required.
    Paul.
    Just goin with the flow

The underground 'roots' of bamboo are actually stems and will grow up from even short pieces left in the ground (like cooch grass). I'm with Paul, I'm not sure if SBK is exactly the right product since it does not work on grass so may not work on bamboo but several applications of Roundup might just work. Get it on plenty of fresh green growth and keep working on it. I have one in my garden to get rid of!

If you can get hold of any, sodium chlorate mixed with water will work. Cut bamboo dowm to ground level and pour into holes in the stems, or water them from a watering can but you'll use more that way.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

My solution would be to just cut down to ground level then treat the new shoots to doses of Roundup (it is most effective on vigorously growing shoots and is translocated and kills roots) until no more new growth comes up.

By going into the soil and chopping up the roots creates more sources of new growth and increases the problem.

This will work pretty well.....

https://throwflame.com/products/xl18-flamethrower/

I wouldn't go the Sodium Chlorate route, as nothing will grow once you have used it. When we have moved bamboos, as long as the soil is soft we have found it relatively easy to pull up any stray bits that have come up the following year.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Sorry Tyro, that isn't correct, I used it extensively some years ago when I bought a new house that had been built on the site of an orchard. When I moved in the rear garden was a mass of nettles and weeds, so I covered the lot in a diluted sodium chlorate mix. It killed everything, and from memory I had to wait about 6 weeks before replanting, after which I grew many vegetables, plus a lawn and fruit trees.
    I've also used it in my current garden, albeit more selectively, on grasses that my wife planted and proceeded to take over the garden. They aren't there any more, but everything around the area grows prolifically.
    I'm even thinking of making a bomb or two with what I have left over .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I'm even thinking of making a bomb or two with what I have left over .
    See, you can get away with saying that. Now if I was to say that.................................they'd have house surrounded and armed police would be crawling through the garden.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

.they'd have house surrounded and armed police would be crawling through the garden
    I'm half expecting them to truck up here in the middle of the night just to be bloody minded .
    No matter. I'm not sleeping too well in this warm weather anyway .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

The sale of sodium chlorate as a weed killer was banned in the EU in 2009.

Most systemic weed killers will work, [ Gallup XL], the poison is carried throughout the entire plant. Spray any green shoots as soon as there's a reasonable amount of leaf to get the poison on. You could then lawn that area, although it is a grass of sorts, [ bamboo ], it would not stand the constant cutting that a lawn gets.
    Mike

Many thanks indeed this evening to you all, for such a swift & comprehensive reply...What a site this really is! - (I'll soon now be pointing my prayer mat towards Lochwinnoch, and one day get there, hopefully! )

I'll take my time now to go through all of the above informative and experienced replies, and thank you all very much for such a swift response ...Outstanding stuff!

In the mean time whilst I consider sodium nitrate or ANFO as I used to know it!..... (Probably best not to blow-up the back garden, along with all adjacent neighbours! )

Here's a few for Sk8r ,
    As I loved your reply Christine...and as much as I would very much enjoy operating a flame-thrower... and all that goes with it...
    Best now that I keep my enthusiasm restricted very much to my back yard garden duties these days!

So, as far as gardening goes these days, first of all identify the problem...
    "Its Bamboo Dad, and it ain't stopping for shhh...shhhh..shhhh sugar cane! "

"Just zero-in lad, and await further instructions..."

"For Bamboo removal, place a few dabs of yer' Sodium Chlorate here lad...."
    [IMG]The best ever gardening tips that you'll ever get from the 1st Bn, Grenadier Guards..... ...Lock and load!

So, with your sodium chlorate now added, all you need to do now is apply ....
    At three to five second bursts I'd say!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-July-2019 at 12:46 AM.

MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post

At three to five second bursts I'd say!
    The look on that lad's face is flippin' priceless!!

Enthusiastic, to say the least!...

Now that I've Introduced him to gardening!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-July-2019 at 12:30 AM.

MB

Getting back now on a more serious note, after a little more digging away today....although not on 'full cylinders' as I would like, due to undergoing some recent surgery....

Do I need to remove every last bit of root, or evidence of? Even after so far managing to locate and remove, what I would estimate now as 98% of the deep-set thick root.
    If I leave this as finished, will it grow back?
    I have now been all over the ground where the bamboo once stood, chopping down both horizontally and vertically with a broad edged pick-axe, every 4-6 inches and turning over the soil to remove any and all thick roots found.

Do I keep removing all the remaining whispery- beard bits (seen above) or now leave as is, apply some Roundup and continue to cover from sunlight and maybe wait a while? (Maybe a tad too late for the Roundup now?)

With many thanks in advance....

MB
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-July-2019 at 08:30 PM.

I no Alan titchsort but I can attest that we had a go at at least limiting it chez my mate Mick’s place her last year.

tbh 5 of us spent days last year doing similar things and I’ve just been back (due his untimely demise) and we failed.
    Dont want to be a downer on it but it is a sod to get rid of
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

I don't have any direct experience with bamboo, but based on other plants which grow from root fragments, if you leave it as it is you'll get new shoots popping up. They grow from the food in the root, so if you stop them photosynthesising to make more food, they'll give up, but it could take a while if you just mow them; being bamboo, they'll grow through anything you cover them with, unless it's paving slabs. They should be easy to pull up, so let them dry out then bin them.

On the other hand, a dose of roundup would help reduce the potential for regrowth.

There's no easy fix Mark. You've done the hard work so any new growth that appears, cut it down and spray one of the aforementioned strong chemicals on it.
    The grasses that Lyn planted kept sending up shoots in different places after we'd dug the worst out and I just kept spraying them until they stopped. It took a long time, perseverence is key.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Ammonium Sulphamate is very effective and short lived in the soil if you can get it. I dug out a bamboo plant a few years back and expected a lot of regeneration. It did not happen even without chemicals. Dig well and remove anything that looks like plant growth/roots.

Plants generally sprout from stems, not roots. The wispy bits you have left are unlikely to grow, it's the thicker bits which look lie bamboo stems which will re-grow.

To expand; bulbs are stem bases; corms are like very shortstems; rhizomes (like you get on irises) are also stems; cooch grass hasunderground stems. You will see in eachof these, signs of nodes from which they sprout.

Tubers, like you get on dahlias will only sprout of there isa bit of the stem still attached. Potatoesare an oddity since most people call them tubers but they are really rhizomes andwill sprout from the ‘eyes’ which are nodes.

Some other suggestions . not involving strong chemicals:

1) Get a panda - they tend to eat bamboo shoots.
    2) Get a vegan with strong teeth, but you may lose lots of other plants as well as they are hard to control

Get a panda - they tend to eat bamboo shoots.
    They're fussy and only eat the newer soft shoots.

Get a vegan with strong teeth, but you may lose lots of other plants as well as they are hard to control
    No good at all, they're never about as they're always off protesting somewhere.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    They're fussy and only eat the newer soft shoots.
    That would be ideal - they can nip it in the bud as it were.

Chickens, their "clucking " good at that sort of thing, and bonus breakfast ingredients.
    Mike

A final dig out to day against this beast that is known as Bamboo....and never again will I entertain it apon my premises, that's for sure!

Many thanks once again to you all, including Chris B, Letheil, Adrian Cooper, Paul, Kmac et al... for your advice and input.... outstanding stuff!

Re: Some other suggestions . not involving strong chemicals:

1) Get a panda - they tend to eat bamboo shoots.
    2) Get a vegan with strong teeth, but you may lose lots of other plants as well as they are hard to control

The initial reply from Mrs.MB...
    "Aye, ye can get a wee Panda alreet, but best ye forget yer wee Teepee for next year alreet, and you know where the shovel is reet! " - "Aye,Yes dear!"

Ken, (KMAC)
    Mrs MB is best part vegan, with very strong teeth....She eats shoots and leaves, and is still very much hard to control! (Coming up now for 40yrs after I first met her! )

Paul (Old Man)
    The protests never stop in this household fella! - Still, I look at it this way, it saves me a fortune in petrol money eh!

With the back garden jungle infestation now hopefully gone, having dug out the remaining roots just today, accompanied by the background sound of.. 'Run Through the Jungle' by Credence Clearwater Revival....

I reckon now that my work here is done....

MB

p.s.
    You could actually say, that my work here here is now... Monty Don(e)! -

I need to get back on the water!

If it comes back up, and there's a fair chance it will, hit it with glyphosate - this is a systemic and the plant will transfer the poison to the root system all by itself.

May take several applications to provide the "Final Solution" - but only apply when there are active green shoots.
    This post may vanish at any moment.