Thread: Hi from Tillerman6 !

Default Hi from Tillerman6 !

A youngish aged 70, looking to get into Sailing canoes as a new hobby. Have lots of sailing time in catamarans, but the hassle of setting up and putting away a Tornado has dampened my enthusiam to the point where I gave my Tornado to my nephew! I'm sure that he will get more use out of it than I can, Living on the wrong side of a low bridge between me and the lake. Anyway I am in the middle of building the kit for my 16foot Grumman square stern aluminum canoe - to turn it into a trimaran situation like Outn'Backer. The rig is totally frankensailer, and because I am always re-purposing things around the house, I got very lucky with my scrounging and found an old hang glider that was given to me for $10.00, So I have lots of sail material, aluminum tubing and SS wire rope to play with.
    I have been watching every video I can find on sailing canoes and am still wondering on several points. Hopefully this site will fill in a lot of answers that I still have as I am trying to build all the accessories needed to turn a canoe into something that will get me around my lake right side up! Anyway, I still have a 10 foot low bridge to clear on my way out to the lake, but I think my modified sail plan with a mast pivoting on a stub mast might just work. So far the rudder system is about 60% complete and some of the mast support. There is no real good way to reef it down, it's sort of all or nothing right now, but maybe I can glean enough information here to make it all work before the winter sets in again!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the frankensailer... I would like to see some pictures of the maiden voyage.
    --
    Martin
    Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris (If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar).

Default Maiden voyage- Time to be announced later.

Quote Originally Posted by phonkee View Post
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the frankensailer... I would like to see some pictures of the maiden voyage.
    Wish I could send those pictures real soon.

I need to be able to get full permissions on here in order to make all the pieces i still need to make that happen!

Is there a photo upload button ?

That is critical to my efforts because I'm sure that I didn' t think of everything that needs to change or be modified before I can hit the water!

What is the max size of photo your site can handle easily?

Spell checker?

Thanks!

Tillerman6

There is a photo upload function, but I can't remember whether you need 3 posts or to give a donation and become a contributing member. You click the 'Insert image' button and it gives you two tabs, 'from computer' and 'from url' - and if you don't see the two tabs, now you have 3 posts, it must require contributing membership - however, it can only handle fairly small images, something like 150kb from memory, and only a total of 500kb per post. So you're better hosting your photos on Flickr or similar, and posting them using the url.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    There is a photo upload function, but I can't remember whether you need 3 posts or to give a donation and become a contributing member. You click the 'Insert image' button and it gives you two tabs, 'from computer' and 'from url' - and if you don't see the two tabs, now you have 3 posts, it must require contributing membership - however, it can only handle fairly small images, something like 150kb from memory, and only a total of 500kb per post. So you're better hosting your photos on Flickr or similar, and posting them using the url.
    I use the Tapatalk app because it makes adding photos much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like an interesting craft, I like the idea of a combined hang glider and canoe!

The easiest way to post lots of photos is by hosting them on Flickr or similar and then pasting in the links. (from the image in Flickr, choose the "share photos" arrow bottom right, click on BBCode tab and choose the biggest of the medium sizes (it then remembers those last 2 stages for next time). Copy the link, come back to your post, and just paste it in.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Mal,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a Flikr account now, and I should be able to start uploading some pics soon. But my Frankensailer is undergoing changes to everything all at once, so it's a bit overwhelming right now. It feels like I'm running in molassas. One step forwards and two steps back! Very frustrating! But I have lots of sailing experience, and it has taught me that things can get a bit scary out there if something does not work 100%. So I am trying to cover all the bases and take care of details first. Problem is I'm running out of time for the sailing season and I'm not the richest person on planet earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerman6 View Post
    Mal,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a Flikr account now, and I should be able to start uploading some pics soon. But my Frankensailer is undergoing changes to everything all at once, so it's a bit overwhelming right now. It feels like I'm running in molassas. One step forwards and two steps back! Very frustrating! But I have lots of sailing experience, and it has taught me that things can get a bit scary out there if something does not work 100%. So I am trying to cover all the bases and take care of details first. Problem is I'm running out of time for the sailing season and I'm not the richest person on planet earth.
    I'm sure it will all come together in time, and once you get that Frankensailer out beyond your low bridge and running with the wind, you will feel a richer man for it!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Default Frankensailer

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I'm sure it will all come together in time, and once you get that Frankensailer out beyond your low bridge and running with the wind, you will feel a richer man for it!
    True enough! I did manage to measure the main sail yesterday and with the bat-wing shape still intact it is just over 35 square feet. The mast is 14 feet high, so there is a sort of high aspect overall shape to it right now.

I am now looking for the dimensions on a Bermudan style rig so that the main can be reefed down by rolling it around the mast. I will be building my own sails, and shooting for something that has a 14 foot long luff or close to that.

maybe I should move the thread to the "gear" section and go from there.

Thanks for the encouragement Mal!

Tillerman, this post might be useful

Hi Tillerman, I cracked the 70's this year. I'm still hoping for many years of paddling and sailing (mostly paddling).

Welcome to the group, I hope that you will find us a friendly, helpful bunch.

Most of us carry on paddling all year. The water has to turn solid to stop us!

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Alan,

Good to hear that you have not hung up your paddles! Thanks for the welcome! I just take it one day at a time.

I would probably extend my canoe outings a bit longer into the cooler months now. But the lake I live on is modulated for the season and they let the water out in the winter to avoid flooding in the spring. The snow melt in the mountains has been known to raise the lake 20 feet if this is not done correctly.

And right now I'm just paddling like you mostly do. I'm donating my Tornado Catamaran to my nephews in Missouri because of my age and the fact that we have a low bridge between our home and the lake proper.

And right now I'm trying to outfit my Grumman for sailing. - kind of a mad rush considering that I don't have the outriggers built yet.

So it may not happen this year, but I will keep trying. Paddling is not my best skill, but at least it can get me under that bridge!