Thread: Recovering from surgery

Default Recovering from surgery

Don't seem to be having much luck on the paddling front this year. After a number of other unforeseen family circumstances which have minimised paddling opportunities I had to have a ruptured appendix removed in hospital last night the day before we were due to set off for a family paddling holiday in Scotland!

I've also been given the non-specific advice of no heavy lifting for a while.

So appreciating that everybody's recovery is different might anyone give a ballpark of how long I'm likely to have to wait after keyhole surgery to remove my appendix before carrying my canoe again.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well, it wasn't an appendix, but some years ago i did have abdominal surgery and (sorry....) I was 5 months getting my core strong enough to get back to stuff like lifting my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    Well, it wasn't an appendix, but some years ago i did have abdominal surgery and (sorry....) I was 5 months getting my core strong enough to get back to stuff like lifting my boat.
    Keyhole surgery must be a much quicker recovery though?

I had keyhole surgery for appendix removal about 5 years ago. Think of about 4-6 weeks and you should be OK. I was off work for a month and was not allowed to drive as I could not make an emergency stop due to the strain on abdominal muscles when standing on the brake pedal. I was also told not to go canoeing as the rotational movement when paddling could re open the wounds. Take it easy and don't try to do anything too early as you can tear the wounds open again. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Rimfire is right in that you do not want to rush your recovery, this is a situation where "less is more".

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/a...px?hwid=ug3573

I'm sure you're right and it won't be good to rush back into anything. I've got myself a set of Thich Nhat Hanh mindfulness audio books to encourage me to pace myself. The contrast of having been feeling fine whilst oiling paddles and tinkering with the boat the day before going into hospital is a little frustrating. But at least I had not loaded the boat onto the roof rack and packed the car ready to drive off.

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, take your time and come back 100%. 6 weeks seems the bare minimum from what friends have had done.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Not less than 6 months, any doctor will tell you so.

I've just had keyhole surgery for a hernia 10 days ago. Three access points around the lower adbomen. Internally there's quite a long incision, bruising, and fastenings, and they all take time to heal. I was signed off work for 2 weeks, consultant told me if I had a more manual job, he'd sign me off for 6 weeks, as he doesn't want me lifting. I'm only driving short distances for the first time today, as I feel OK doing an emergency stop, as Rimfire mentions. I have a maximum lifting load limit of 5kg for 6 weeks apparently, then gentle re-introduction to increase this gradually. The consultant said to allow 6 weeks before any chopping logs/playing golf/paddling a canoe/digging/lifting-type twisting movements should be tried. I am very, VERY grudgingly admitting he is correct, and I need to rest and heal. I hate it, but I'm doing as I'm told, by all the lovely and very intelligent people around me. It's really not me - to my very core, I am DESPERATE to get back to normal activities, but I have to give myself time. The danger is, we think we're OK - "What do they know? - they're not me!" so we pop out to do a very menial task which we'd normally accomplish without thinking about it...but we're not fully fit yet, we've just had very invasive surgery, and suddenly something goes "Ping!" and we're in real trouble. 10 days after surgery, a quick supermarket foray tires me out, and I daren't even lift my bicycle, let alone my canoe! I'm going to sit out the 6 weeks, and then see how I go. It's very humbling, I feel a real wuss, and a burden on everyone, but I'm doing as I'm told.

Hope you are feeling better soon, the bonus is you have loads of time to can loads of canoe books and plan lots of expeditions, Or watch loads of canoe films,

Take care

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markpfc View Post
    Hope you are feeling better soon, the bonus is you have loads of time to can loads of canoe books and plan lots of expeditions, Or watch loads of canoe films,

Take care

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I think it's a key point...there is always some way to turn a negative into a positive...the mindfulness audios are a perfect example. I had regular hole (not keyhole) hernia surgery about 2 years ago and (being an engineer) I wanted the surgeon to tell me exactly how much I could do and when and he ended up telling me "you'll know when you're doing too much" and he was exactly right. But now my exercise routine is even tougher than before the surgery and I can paddle long and hard again whenever I like.