Thread: Wye - Hereford to Hoarwithy

Default Wye - Hereford to Hoarwithy

Another video offering, this time from the Wye. A two day canoe trip from Hereford to Tresseck campsite at Hoarwithy with an overnight camp on the riverbank inbetween. An easy 16 mile paddle which could probably be paddled in one long day, but I prefer to dawdle and really take in the beautiful surroundings, why the rush? Although I paddled this section of the river mid-week in order to avoid the hire company crowds it was still fairly busy with groups. Its a more popular section of the Wye compared to further upstream sections.

Outstanding Stuff!

...and totally concur with your comments, and thoughts referring to David Lloyd Georges' quote. With the majority of my experiences of such being on the River Thames. With exception to one night on the River Wye, way back in May '89 whilst paddling from Glasbury to Tintern Abbey as a young 'trooper....when, due severe Swan trouble I had hunker down under my upturned canoe overnight, somewhere near the Red Lion at Bredwardine, and wait for daylight and a brand new plan....waking-up next to a sign that read: 'Trespassers Will Be Shot!' (Which at the time, did make me laugh...as an alternative to Death by Swanage! ) - I wish now that I had either taken a pic of that sign or just taken it with me...

Loved your VLOG fella, it evoked some long forgotten memories!

Brilliant!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Crikey, sounds like a drama with the ‘white dragons’. I've heard some people get a lot of trouble with swans, it's funny I've never experienced any grief from the big white birds. I've seen some really nervous people on SUPs about to pass swans, maybe they pick up the bad vibes like dogs do? Yeah, I'd have desecrated that sign for sure, at least urinated on it. It's still a beautiful river, maybe you're due a revisit!

cheers
    Andy

Great to see the Wye again. As far as I'm concerned all rivers have been highways since the land was first colonised and I have a right to use it whatever fishermen say. I find swans vary greatly. On some rivers the male can be very aggressive if they have young. This is natural swan behaviour. On other rivers all the swans are very wary of humans. On these rivers, I suspect that the aggressive, territorial swans have been taken out by humans at some time in the past so it has been bred out of them in that area. On my local river they are still very aggressive as competition for territories is fierce. I enjoy the close encounters with such beautiful birds.

Agree with you wholeheartedly Sussexcanoeman, this stranglehold of access that fishermen have on some rivers is outrageous. Why does one group have an absolute monopoly over river access? British Canoeing have started a worthy campaign: ‘Clear Access, Clear Waters’, Steve Backshall being a high profile ambassador. Swans have never bothered me, I think it's one's attitude towards them that they pick up on perhaps. Greetings from Somerset.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Another beautifully filmed and edited trip, Andy. Very inspiring and subtlely combining the sense of tranquillity and freedom of the river with the broader access issues. I always look forward to your trip videos.
    Jim
    Last edited by JimHou; 20th-July-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: ommited a word

Very kind comment, thanks Jim. I can do subtlety ! I'm glad it came across like that. I didn't want to come across as all ranty, but there is a lot to get aggravated about these days re. access issues.
    cheers
    Andy

Enjoyed that.....nicely put together and, if I may say so, your voice compliments the video.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Thank you for your kind comment, it's funny, I think most people have an issue when they listen back to their own voice on a recording. It can be quite disarming to hear your own
    voice clearly. So I appreciate that compliment very much! Happy paddling to you.

That’s a great video. Very professionally put together. I’m sure there was a lot of work and thought went into it but the result is a peaceful and relaxing video.
    John

Thanks for your kind comment John, makes it worthwhile when I get positive encouraging comments back. It is a lot of work though - all the stopping and starting on the river, erecting a tripod, framing the shot, getting back in the canoe etc etc.
    Peaceful and relaxing is the best compliment! thanks again
    Andy

Really enjoyed that. I'll be rewatching it for filming ideas.

Thanks for posting it.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Good stuff... I used 4 cameras on that one!

cheers
    Andy

That's solved my should I buy more cameras dilemma.

Cheers

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!