Thread: Very short notice! 18th July (yes, tonight!) evening paddle / grub stop?

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Default Very short notice! 18th July (yes, tonight!) evening paddle / grub stop?

To dodge the forthcoming monsoon in the south, I'm thinking of an evening paddle tonight (with cooking). Weather this evening looks fine.

Either Colt Hill to the castle on the Basingstoke canal )http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=72)
    or
    Newark car park to Woking Palace on the Wey (http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=107)

Both options are about a 30 minute paddle to the grub stop.

A tentative 6.30 for 7pm start.

Any takers or will I be dining alone?! Suggestions / preferences also welcome.

Jim

Hi Jim

I would marginally prefer the Newark/Palace option, simply as its closer to Greenwich where I am at the moment. Timing is a bit of a lottery but should be OK for 6.30.

Cheers

M
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Excellent....and then there were two!

Newark/Palace is fine with me, as is 6.30pm. Mal, let me know if I can help with canoe shuttling, if you wanted to take the Bell.

Jim
    Mal (probably)

I'm in Jim, will probably get there early to avoid traffic.

Stewart

Have also posted a link on Facebook for the lazy people

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    I'm in Jim, will probably get there early to avoid traffic.

Stewart
    Splendid, Stewart. I may be there nearer 6pm if I can get out with the dogs earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Have also posted a link on Facebook for the lazy people
    Thanks, Mal.

should be there 630 or before few things to do if rest are all there and just go without me I you going up stream
    hope to see you graham

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eye View Post
    should be there 630 or before few things to do if rest are all there and just go without me I you going up stream
    hope to see you graham
    Excellent, Graham. Yup, upstream to the palace. No heavy portages tonight! Hopefully, see you later.

Jim
    Mal (probably)
    Stewart
    Graham (probably)

Jim, sorry got to pull out. I've got to work tonight

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Excellent....and then there were two!

Newark/Palace is fine with me, as is 6.30pm. Mal, let me know if I can help with canoe shuttling, if you wanted to take the Bell.

Jim
    Mal (probably)
    Bell is with me!

That's a shame, but no worries, Stewart. Hope to see you soon.

Ah, the dreaded call. See ya again soon, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Bell is with me!
    Haha.....the Bell goes on a car park tour of the country now That saves you scrabbling about in a muddy car park with your meccano!

if i can get my stuff done, i will be there!

Too far for an evening paddle but envious. Have a great evening. See you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    if i can get my stuff done, i will be there!
    Get stuffing then, Maj!
    Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Too far for an evening paddle but envious. Have a great evening. See you soon.
    We'll raise a toast to you, Richard. See you soon.

Sorry, things to do, reinstate the Cascade to two person status and prepare ti sekk the Fly early tomorrow. Have a great paddle. Not envious 'cos I sailed my new to me Aero sailing dinghy yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Sorry, things to do, reinstate the Cascade to two person status and prepare ti sekk the Fly early tomorrow. Have a great paddle. Not envious 'cos I sailed my new to me Aero sailing dinghy yesterday.
    Hope the Fly sale went well. I googled the Aero and it looks rather space-age.

We had a very pleasant evening on the Wey. We met Samson and his Samsonites up the backwater, but don't think he wanted to be violent in front of the kids!

A little bit of Aero detail,off topic, but Racing Sailboats, an organisation with whom I have been on friendly terms since their inception, as well as sailing several of their boats, decided (I assume) to produce a boat that sailed well, (all their boats do that), but also solved as many of the minor irritants of dinghy sailing. So it is very light, so designed that they nest for delivery world wide, and can cary several boats on one trailer, but is also easy to roof rack, has three sail sizes for different sized people, there are 5sqm, 7 and 9 rigs, and I have a 7 and a 9, but they also, in association with their suppliers, designed new fittings which overcome the little niggles of life in , say, a Laser. When boats capsize, the rudder may fall off, unless retained in some way. There are several solutions, but they are all a fiddle, and come into use when you are up to your fetlocks in cold water. The Aero has a top gudgeon with an internal spring and an easily accesable button to release. When rigging a normal boat, the boom has a really annoying habit of falling off the goosneck at an inconvenient moment. The areo has a "cunning" gismo that guards agains this, whilst still beable freely releasable when needed. This attention to detail (a pocket on the tack on the sail into which the very light weight but strong haliyard tucks when not in use) is throughout the boat. It is a delight to sail, if a little tricky to come in on a lee shore, but I know how to do that now.

There was a "competition" to decide what more modern boat should succeed the Laser in the olympics. The Aero was the outstanding entry in the view of the sailors in the evaluation group, but, as so often happens in World Sailing, the anual conference turned it down.

It is not a beginners boat (I have now been sailing for 70 years) but if there are sailors on here who fancy a go, here in the south or on Anglesey, get in touch, although RS will arange demos if you want one.

And the Fly went this morning to an enthusiastic young man, of whom we will likely hear more on the OC1 channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    A little bit of Aero detail,off topic, but Racing Sailboats, an organisation with whom I have been on friendly terms since their inception, as well as sailing several of their boats, decided (I assume) to produce a boat that sailed well, (all their boats do that), but also solved as many of the minor irritants of dinghy sailing. So it is very light, so designed that they nest for delivery world wide, and can cary several boats on one trailer, but is also easy to roof rack, has three sail sizes for different sized people, there are 5sqm, 7 and 9 rigs, and I have a 7 and a 9, but they also, in association with their suppliers, designed new fittings which overcome the little niggles of life in , say, a Laser. When boats capsize, the rudder may fall off, unless retained in some way. There are several solutions, but they are all a fiddle, and come into use when you are up to your fetlocks in cold water. The Aero has a top gudgeon with an internal spring and an easily accesable button to release. When rigging a normal boat, the boom has a really annoying habit of falling off the goosneck at an inconvenient moment. The areo has a "cunning" gismo that guards agains this, whilst still beable freely releasable when needed. This attention to detail (a pocket on the tack on the sail into which the very light weight but strong haliyard tucks when not in use) is throughout the boat. It is a delight to sail, if a little tricky to come in on a lee shore, but I know how to do that now.

There was a "competition" to decide what more modern boat should succeed the Laser in the olympics. The Aero was the outstanding entry in the view of the sailors in the evaluation group, but, as so often happens in World Sailing, the anual conference turned it down.

It is not a beginners boat (I have now been sailing for 70 years) but if there are sailors on here who fancy a go, here in the south or on Anglesey, get in touch, although RS will arange demos if you want one.

And the Fly went this morning to an enthusiastic young man, of whom we will likely hear more on the OC1 channels.
    It certainly looks like a quick craft....to my completely ignorant eye. I remember making a bit of a hash of dinghy sailing on Loch Tay and sadly, my hair falls out if I travel faster than maximum SotP regulation two knots!