Thread: Sheared seat bolts

Default Sheared seat bolts

Hi , need some advice please. Went out this evening practicing some self rescue on the solent. There was a fair bit of chop and the wind was a steady force 3-4. We were paddling my Bell Canoe back to shore, when I heard a snap. Once on shore I was able to ascertain one of the seat bolts had sheared off and snapped. On the plus side I am glad it didn't happen in the middle of a Scottish loch. That said I have a couple of questions
    1) will I be able to source bolts (do they need to be specific for the Bell Prospector
    2) Has anyone else experienced this?
    3) I have noticed the other bolts are loose, never noticed this before? Wondered why they suddenly became loose?

Thanking you in advance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1. Think Endless RIver do them. THough I hope they're of better quality steel than their kneeling thwart bolts on which the heads are made of cheese.
    2. Heard of it plenty of times, but not on my Bell.
    3. The change in forces when one went may have stressed the rest differently and made them seem loose. To be honest, I've always had to tighten mine a few times a year, but then it does get used quite a lot!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Mal, much appreciated, will have a scout around.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

In my experience the seat bolts on Bells loosen up more than most canoe brands. If you have wood gunnels they are soft and the fasteners dig in and you lose clamping force. Same with bottom of the wood seat...if you don't have a stainless steel washer the bolts dig in and loosen up. In the US edscanoe is a well respected source of canoe seats and parts. He is a small one man operation. His 6 inch seat bolts come with proper finish washers for the top and flat washers for the bottom of the bolts plus a locking nut. It's one of the areas where Bell could have done better. Even if you don't buy from Ed I suggest that you get all the same bits.

https://www.edscanoe.com/stsehakit.html

Most people assume Stainless-Steel is invincible and super strong but much of what we buy is low-grade and of uneven hardness (chocolate heads anyone)

Think Stain less rather than stain proof and it also suffers from..........

Crevice Corrosion this is a problem with stainless fasteners used in seawater applications, because of the low PH of salt water. Chlorides pit the passivated surface, where the low PH saltwater attacks the exposed metal. Lacking the oxygen to re-passivate, corrosion continues. As is signified by its name, this corrosion is most common in oxygen restricted crevices, such as under a bolt head.
    Interestingly (or perhaps not) I had to replace the exhaust on my 29-year-old Suzuki Jeep and as it's spent it's life covered in mud, was expecting all the bolts to be impossible to remove without cutting but they all came off like new; they have a green, matt coating. Don't know what it is but they are the only bit of the jeep that isn't rust.

To be fair though, the seat bolts on canoes do pretty well considering they are super-skinny and are flexed about a lot.