Thread: Loch Lomond and Jetskis

Default Loch Lomond and Jetskis

First day out on the new inflatable (Z-Pro Tango 300) and yet another day on the loch ruined by drunken bumholes speeding up and down on rented jetskis. Two of them thought it would be funny to circle me at top speed, trying to capsize me for about 5 minutes and shouting FLEETO!!! as loud as they could. They were both around 30 years old, flabby, pissed, sunburned and covered in crap tattoos. You know the type. This was all done in full view of the police launch, and, as usual, they sat and did nothing. What's the use of having a speed limit and laws against being drunk in charge of a vehicle if the cops sit stuffing their stupid faces and watch it all happening less that 300 yards away?

The kayak is pretty good though. I never felt like I was going to tip, despite the best efforts of the aforementioned wonkers. It tracks well and feels a lot like the Sevylor Hudson. It's a bit of a barge and it doesnt like choppy water very much and can feel a little sluggish going through a wake. Get the balance right and its pretty nippy across flat water and down medum/fast flowing water.
    Last edited by Cris_264; 15th-July-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Shame to have your day ruined by that. I avoid loch lomond during the summer for that reason, too busy with all sorts of boats and jetskis. Well worth driving a little further on to Loch Ard etc to avoid it.
    I didnt know there was actually a police boat there though, thought it was only the rangers. Is that during summer only?

Theres a permanent police/rescue boat at Lomond shores and another at Luss. Dont know if the boat there is permanent, but they were sitting watching a group of wankers ruin the day for everybody and didnt lift a finger.

Iíve got a Tango 300 and I donít think itís possible to capsize it, Iíve tried but itís more of a white water raft than a canoe!
    What you lose in speed you gain in stability.
    Shame your peace was ruined by the chavs. Is there a subtle way of disabling a jetski?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

This post may vanish at any moment.

Looks like a rainy day mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris_264 View Post
    Theres a permanent police/rescue boat at Lomond shores and another at Luss. Dont know if the boat there is permanent, but they were sitting watching a group of wankers ruin the day for everybody and didnt lift a finger.
    You might take a video of the jet ski behavior and parked police boat and send it to your local television station. It may have no effect and just make you more angry and frustrated but if all goes well you might be able to hold the police accountable and embarrass them into doing their jobs. But don't give up on the potato cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
    But don't give up on the potato cannon.
    You can borrow mine (sound on) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHut31ix0c

(this video is now pretty ancient but always makes me chuckle)

Seriously though, regarding inconsiderate a-holes, there are just so many more about these days. They used to be a minority and in the past a bystander or two would have confronted them and told them politely to fcuk-off. Now, us reasonable people are outnumbered by verminous scum and I'm afraid it isn't going to get any better.
    Last edited by bigyellowtractor; 16th-July-2019 at 05:48 AM.

If you are waterborn for pleasure, it does seem that jet skis are driven by a very strange, unpleasant , unthinking lot. My sailing clubs quiet bay has been ruined by the local councils restrictions on accessing the beaches else where so that they can collect money from power boaters, most of whom respect the sailors and the by laws, but jet skiers circle kids learning to sail, plough en mass through dinghy racing, and ocupy the beach water line with their moored vessels. The beach warden does not seem to have any duties other than collecting money, certainly not admonishing wrong dooers. I am sure that there lots of lovely jet ski users out ther ewho love their mothers and lead otherwise blameless lives. just go crazy onjet skis. (And what is the fun in just blasting along at high noisy speed? (Although there is a lad who can perform some quite amazing stunts.)

I didn't realise the police had boats on the loch, AFAIK the rescue boat is manned by volunteers and the NP rangers apparently concentrate on soft targets rather than tackling people who might get aggressive. A friend used to sail on the loch with his kids, but found the NP boat gave him hassle every time because sail boats are easy to catch and tend to be crewed by nice people who can be lectured to (even though they have a boat license and are following all the rules), whilst leaving the aggressive louts in motor boats alone. But not all power boat users on the loch are louts, some of them run perfectly respectable power boat/ski/wakeboard businesses.

To avoid the louts, avoid places where lots of people gather on the beaches for them to show off to (even though the people aren't watching).

How hard can it be?

I've been stopped by the cops on the loch a few times in the past, just routine harrassment stuff, but they have pointedly ignored huge bonfires and parties on the islands while giving me a hard time about not having an electronic flare. I don't know if there is a permanent police prescence, maybe just in the summer, but they are definetly there. I know they got a load of stick last year for allowing some pretty awful things to go on, like wallaby baiting and burning trees down 'for a laugh' by drunken weegies with Asda inflatables, so theyve upped thier presence a bit, but they still do bugger all

I appreciate that the loch is huge, and that policing it can be difficult, but 99% of the trouble is caused on the open water between Luss and Balmaha, so why the effing feck are the cops sitting at duck bay eating a sandwich for 5 hours at a time?

Fortunately 95% of my paddling is in places where nobody could bring any sort of powered craft. But, it has happened locally, here in my local Harbor where I sometimes go for a quick paddle. It can be a busy place, but most people are relatively considerate. However, it has occasionally happened that someone is just not keeping any lookout, and is going WAY over the posted Harbor speed limits, and is on a clear collision course. I always carry a flare gun which fires flares which explode with a very loud bang and give off two very bright red starlights. I have on a couple of occasions had to fire one off directly over their cockpits (so as not to get killed). Quite amazing how fast the throttles get grabbed and faces pop up to see me. Not the same situation, I realize. But I suspect they might have a similar salutary effect on jet skiers.

Fun as that would be, I dont think the cops would take kindly to me taking pot shots at cash spending dipshits.

If you're confident in the water and a good actor, perhaps you could stage a capsize and near drowning. :-)

I've been stopped by the cops on the loch a few times in the past, just routine harrassment stuff, but they have pointedly ignored huge bonfires and parties on the islands while giving me a hard time about not having an electronic flare.
    What did they say about the flare, is it a requirement that you have to carry one? Gave it a quick google there but only found discussions.

They asked me a bunch of questions about where I was going, what gear I had blah blah blah. When I told them i was going to be out overnight they asked if I had a flare. I said that I didnt and they went off on one about how I needed a flare, but couldnt provide any legislation when I asked them to show me where that was written. They went from 'Youre required to have a flare' to 'You need a flare' to 'You should have one' to 'Maybe you should get one'

I know that I should have had one, and I do now, but no, there is no legal requirement to have a flare.

Ah good to know. Not something i carry either.

I don't know why a flare would be any particular benefit on an overnight trip compared to a one day trip. An electronic flare isn't even an internationally recognised distress signal, so a legal requirement would be nonsense - although I do carry one, in preference to pyrotechnic flares. A PLB, VHF radio, satphone/Inreach/Spot might be more useful - I can't remember what the mobile phone coverage is like?

Fun as that would be, I dont think the cops would take kindly to me taking pot shots at cash spending dipshits.
    But if you use a potato cannon it sounds like the cops might go after the potatoes instead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    . A PLB, VHF radio, satphone/Inreach/Spot might be more useful - I can't remember what the mobile phone coverage is like?
    its crap, frankly. I have a boafeng not-quite-legal radio that I use as a walkie talkie on premitted freqecies, but it has the ability to switch to restricted frequencies in case of emergency. Im willing to take the risk of prosecution in a life and death situation.

I'm heading up to Aberfoyle on Saturday for a week's family holiday and while there are plenty of quiter lochs that I would prefer my 6 year old daughter is particularly keen to paddle on Loch Lomond as she likes the song.

Haven't padded Loch Lomond in about 10 years since I moved away from Glasgow is it likely to be much roudier in summer than I remember or could someone suggest a more secluded spot to go for a paddle than luss or Balmaha

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Balmaha is your best bet or possibly the layby at aldochly (sp?) that fills up quick though. LL is usually ok just keep away from the open water, if you hug the islands they don't come too close.
    Cheers,

Alan

Balmaha and the islands aren't too bad if you don't go at the weekend, and it offers some shelter from wind and rain, plus it's easy to get back to land if needs be. Pushing out from the Tarbet tea rooms car park, Inveruglas or Ardlui is usually decent, as the nuggets don't often go that far up, plus the watersports place at Ardlui and the ferry at Inveruglas means that the speed limits are enforced, plus theyre much more considerate when it comes to younger and noob paddlers.

If you are staying in Aberfoyle it is a no brainer - go to Inversnaid and avoid almost all the crowds! It is usually more sheltered than the Balmaha/Luss area being much narrower.

That end doesn't have as many islands, but there is one with a ruined castle to explore, so it is still worthy of a trip.
    Last edited by JimW; 19th-July-2019 at 10:53 AM.

How hard can it be?

Windermere is another place that despite the 10mph speed limit is plagued by wakeboard boats. They regularly drive too fast and sometimes deliberately aim for canoes. The huge wake they create is intimidating to less experienced paddlers.

The Windermere Lake Rangers have started prosecuting for excess speed, based on third party video evidence. Record their stupidity and submit to the rangers. My friends and I have now seen 2 prosecutions, the first one cost the miscreant over a £1000.

For the police inaction email the chief constable with photos and video evidence.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

It's worth being aware of the actual rules, so that we know when and how they're being broken.

Conduct of navigation on Loch Lomond is controlled under the Byelaws, new version in 2013. The speed limit is 90km/hr except in designated areas, where it's 11km/hr, see section 3.6; there's a map of the restricted areas at the end of the Byelaws. There's also a byelaw against reckless or drunken navigation, see 3.5 (this even includes drunk water skiers). Section 3.4 says power gives way to sail, and everything gives way to paddles, also [3.4(9)] that powered vessels should slacken speed if approaching another. Enforcement is generally by the Rangers but Police Scotland do joint patrols.

Marine VHF radio is used as on the sea and the Rangers monitor channels 16 and 37A(M)

Name:  Loch-Lomond-Byelwas-2013-23.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  95.4 KB
    Last edited by Chris_B; 22nd-July-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Edited to add map extracted from Byelaws

Unfortunately they are everywhere it seems, I was coming back upriver from Sandwich in my dory a couple of weeks ago and round the bend comes a boat going flat out on my side of the river. I could only see most of his hull at that point, I was considering going up the bank at that point as he could not see me.
    At the last moment the nose of the boat went down and he got back on his side of the river. He had 4kids sitting on the roof of the boat and another 3 or 4 inside the cabin. None had life jackets or bouyancy aids on.
    I assume that it was one of the kids on the roof that had seen my boat. Then I had to deal with the wash.

Darwinís theory does not seem to be working.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

It's OK, I'm pretty sure I have only ever topped 11kph (briefly) outside of the speed restricted areas, i.e. going from Duck bay to top of Inchmurrin with following wind/waves, never on the return leg around the north side which is always into the wind . I may have slightly exceeded the 5mph inside the yellow boys at Duck bay once or twice, but there is never anyone bathing at the times I go, and I am heading straight out from or into the beach. I start and finish my actual circuit from the buoy line, but my kayak does glide through the water quite easily!

It is perhaps worth mentioning that there are several responsible commercial outfits running power boat trips and ski/wakeboard services on the loch who only open up the throttle in the proper areas and shouldn't be confused with the louts who hang around just off the beaches showing off. Some of the wake boats are pretty advanced now, those waves aren't thrown up by accident, they are selected from the navigation computer...

How hard can it be?

On a positive note, I was crossing from Tarbet to Inversnaid in May. A female jet skier was making long runs up and down the loch but always slowed down in such a way as to ensure we had no problem with any wake. I was surprised and impressed having heard so many horror stories about ignorant behaviour on Loch Lomond.

Mike