Thread: Bloggs organization

Default Bloggs organization

Im not sure if theres a reason for it being the way it is now, but it would be nicer i think if the blogg section was split up a little more, to make finding trips in the areas you are interested in a little easier. Such as 3 seperate sections as below, similar to WalkHighlands. (Though im aware this isnt CanoeHighlands, but it would benefit all )

Scotland Bloggs
    Rest of UK Bloggs,
    Outside Uk Bloggs

Even instead of that,if it became standard practice to add the country name to your blogg title such as "Portage Pirates (Scotland)", then you can search (Scotland) and set Titles only in the advanced search to get a list of just the scottish bloggs.

I like to browse through the bloggs sometimes just looking, but i prefer reading ones from Scotland as it gives me ideas for trips etc, so it would be easier to be browsing through just Scottish bloggs. Same way id imagine people browsing through looking for the foreign bloggs has all the uk ones mixed in amongst.

Not a major issue regardless. Though it does get the site ready for Brexit also

Lots of reasons for this. One is people having to remember a rule for what to name and where to post the blogg. Hard enough to get all the bloggs in the blogg section It would also kill some of the fun blogg names people come up with.

i also can’t understand why you would just want to read the bloggs from Scotland. Bloggs from anywhere, as well as just being great to read, contain helpful information about tripping or canoeing that can be applied to any trip, anywhere. The flip side of this is that many trips, say mine for example, may well be in Scotland but are not really any great use for trip planning.
    John

Ask just noticed you split Scotland from the rest of the UK but left Wales and Northern Ireland lumped in with the rest of the UK.
    John

Another reason - who is going to retrospectively categorise thousands of blogs? And then England, or Wales, or Norn Iron will ask for their own section, etc. etc..., and may have more blogs than Scotland so will deserve the same.

Also, its not going to narrow it down a great deal, there will still be an enormous amount of blogs in "Scotland", you really need to search more by the region you are interested in.

I always tag mine with the location (area/river/lake etc) so folk can find them more easily on SOTP (and I'd be happy to start adding "Scotland" as a tag, but that won't help old blogs). I do think our search facility here is a bit weak, but if you put something like "Loch Maree Song of the Paddle" or similar into Google, it'll find blogs on Loch Maree quite well.

I like the fun names too, and am guilty of some quite obscure ones. The text and the tags should make them findable though.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

i guess a benefit could be that it's easier to find blogs about a certain area, if you're looking for information. but the search function is actually more useful for this as it's more targeted. instead of just all of "UK" you can search for "norfolk broads" if that's what you're interested in.
    i've also used the tag option to add geographical names to my blogs if they don't appear in the text itself, to help finding them.

all in all, i think the more complex you make it to categorise or name things, the bigger the chance is that it will turn into a mess or be quite some work for someone to maintain.

Well yeah i guess it would be too hard now to bring in the change to naming or have to go through everything and move them into seperate sections. I just find the blog section a bit messy is all. Its fine if i know what loch/area im looking for, i can use the search function and find it specifically. But when there is such a vast array of blogs for diffrent areas/countries, just browsing through the general area you are interested in isnt really easy. The search function is sometimes a bit hit and miss.

Personally, i dont just read Scotland bloggs, though i do prefer to, mainly because its places i can more easily get to etc. Same way that i like nature documentarys, but tend to stick to ones about regions more similar to our own rather than the deep ocean or the sahara.Doesnt personally interest me as much despite still being interesting by itself.

As for why Wales/NI still in the uk, it was just three suggestions. I could be wrong, but most blogs ive seen here tend to be either England or Scotland. I havent seen many from wales that i know of, but i dont really know the location names down there very well so maybe im lumping alot of them in as England. But Scottish blogs, Rest of UK blogs and Outside of UK seems to me to be the best grouping of the main blog areas without having countless sections for each country.

But yeah i agree it would be too much work now to sort them all, and unless you made it a requirement before posting a thread to tick a box for what section it should be posted under, then it'd likely end up not done and required mods to sort etc.

Anyways, was just a suggestion.

I should add that my main problem with the search function has always been that you put in "Scotland" for example, and it gives you back a list of results from all over the site containing scotland, not just the blogg section and i could never see a way to filter that.

I have just discovered now though that you can switch it from the multiple content types tab to Single contents tab, and then there is an additional options arrow in there that lets you filter that by specific forum sections. So that does pretty much what i want now

And i wasnt having a dig at your names Mal, just an example.
    Last edited by Trig; 14th-July-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Obviously a near impossible task to do this retrospectively ....... but if you want to see a good example of indexing and categorizing canoe trip reports ('blogs' in the case of the SotP) then look no further than the Canadian Canoe Routes website ( www.myccr.com ).

On their forum, Canada is broken down into a section for each region, and these sections are sub-divided into a Discussion & Resources section and a Trip Report section. Seems an excellent way of doing it ---- and so easy to follow.

For anyone who has yet to discover the myccr forum ...... the trip reports on there make fine reading, far removed from my own quiet paddling, and a refreshing change from some of the photo-heavy blogs on here! At the moment I'm 'following' a guy on his 51 day solo paddle down the George River, in Quebec and Labrador, in 2018. I'll be dipping into the Yukon trip reports next. Brilliant stuff.

Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I have just discovered now though that you can switch it from the multiple content types tab to Single contents tab, and then there is an additional options arrow in there that lets you filter that by specific forum sections. So that does pretty much what i want now
    that's a good point, actually. i've always found that the single content search is much more useful than the multiple contents one.
    maybe it's possible to change the default search to single content?

That was the first time ive noticed i could change them, but i havent used the search function an awful lot to be fair. I tend to just stick my search into google and include "song of the paddle" and it seems to work a bit better for me. Though im getting better results now with the change.

Thanks for the link Nick, interesting stuff.

I thought that some of the bloggs were craftily titled using what3words to define the location already - Pimm's, Paddles, Pith Helmets is Henley on Thames isn't it?
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach