Thread: Shuttle runs on the Tarn

Default Shuttle runs on the Tarn

Hi,

What are the shuttle options for the Tarn? Are there any buses running up the river?

I'm the only driver on our trip so I was thinking of taking a bicycle and dropping the car off at the get out early in the morning.

Thanks

Are you talking the complete multi-day descent, or one day at a time? The former would be a whole day's ride.

I know individuals have managed to blag a ride with hire companies, but it rather depends on how busy they are. You could speak to your planned campsite(s) too, they sometimes link up with hire companies and as a paying guest you have an "in" already.

Cycling is possible, and there are plenty of cyclists, though the roads are very narrow with lots of blind corners and people on the wrong side of the road with busses and canoe trolleys to dodge too. It would take longer than you think, and is hilly in parts. Early in the morning is good though, probably better than after the paddle as it will also be cooler. Road is generally smooth.

MarkL will be along at some point and tell you how to actually do it.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

We're just doing short stretches and returning to the same camp each night in ispagnac.

Anything up to an hour and a half's ride would be bearable but that'd mean people waiting for me when we do stretches further downstream.

I carried a cheap full size bike in my canoe and did a shuttle back for my car each evening. Was pleasant and enjoyable. Approx 15 miles per day would take an hour on bike and 30 minutes driving. I only remember it being steep pedalling up to the road from the various campsites.
    I like canoes ......

Quote Originally Posted by barelyafloat View Post
    I carried a cheap full size bike in my canoe and did a shuttle back for my car each evening. Was pleasant and enjoyable. Approx 15 miles per day would take an hour on bike and 30 minutes driving. I only remember it being steep pedalling up to the road from the various campsites.
    I'm not sure my missus would like that!

When are you there ? I ask because I’m over there in early August helping Mr Goodwin so would help out if it coincides
    hire companies may move you for a price but they won’t move your gear citing insurance etc. It’s complicated as it’d be different companies and ispagnac is way up at the top making the best sections a long run
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Forgot to say, I checked public bus transport a while back for someone and there is nothing that runs directly up the gorge road so it isn’t really practical to even attempt it.
    MarkL

We're over from the 7th August, my main problem is getting the boats back up river.

Since my eldest and his girlfriend have decide to tag along I'm looking at moving 4 kayaks and a canoe (2 kayaks for son and gf, 2 kayaks for kids plus canoe for me and my other half) back to camp at the end of each trip. I'm taking two of the kayaks down there on our trailer tent but obvs once we're in the gorge I won't be able to use the trailer tent to move boats.

It'd mean 2 trips after each paddle to get the boats back to camp which adds up to an extra hours drive or more as we move further from camp.

I think my only options are to hire a trailer once i'm there or to cut down on boats.

As far as I know so far (waiting for mr Goodwin to return from the Yukon) ... I’ll be there from 3rd to afternoon on 8th.
    I have a fixed departure on the 8th due to other commitments otherwise I’d hang around to help after that for a day.

Happy to to help out while I’m there if it is any use but I’m not sure I’m running with our trailers as ray is bringing his own pink boat and other gear.

trailer rental ... you’d be looking at getting something from Millau (only sizeable place nearby). Have a look at Norauto ...

https://www.norauto.fr/-cms-page-cms...-remorque.html

all the best
    MarkL

thanks, i'll have a look at their trailers, if not I'll ditch one of the kids boats, they end up needing a tow most of the time anyway.

One more thing though, do you know if it's possible to get out at saint chely?

Looks like a long dirt track drive in to the village, is there anywhere to leave a car?

St Chely .... yeah no problem. There is a winding gravel path up from the beach area to the square ... I’ve manhandled full opens down it before so it can be done but will probably need two of you if carrying a boat.

I’ll pm you my mobile number and email in case you need anything while I’m around. Have you got a copy of Pete Knowles guide ?
    MarkL

Leaving a car, assuming that it isn’t rammed, there is parking at the top across from the square
    MarkL

that's great! I was half expecting it to be mostly private parking. Thanks for the help and yes I have the Pete Knowles guide, my bible for the duration.

I was on the Tarn two years ago, we camped just below Sainte Enemie and paddled four section of the river. The first day we got a lift with my boat and wife up river with the hire company based on the campsite, we also got a lift back to the campsite the second day with them as well. The other two days I dropped the boat and wife at the start of the sections we paddled, drove to the get out and hitched back to the start ( there is only one road alongside, so lots of opportunities. Top tip if to have a B/A with you, makes people much happier to pick up someone hitching with a purpose, just if you are talking in french be sure of your pronunciation, another story here but I ended up totally in the wrong place hitching on the Allier last year, a rather long detour and what should have been 30mins took much longer! No mobile with me, thinking the wife would be worried and cross added slight stress, finally turned up to find her asleep on the river beach with a total lack of concern!! Very different to sitting under a tree in the rain being eaten by midges in this country!)
    the Tarn is beautiful, enjoy

I've always used a bike, usually getting the cycle done first. The secret is not to do too much. Take your time on the river. Drift lots. Enjoy the view. You would be amazed at how long it can take to do a small stretch and have an easily manageable bike ride.