Thread: Hi There!

Default Hi There!

Hi There!

Iíve only just joined ďSong of the Paddle" - so a few words, just to introduce myself. I've been open canoeing (off and on) since the 1980s. My current craft is a Grumman 17ft (see attached image). Iím the stern paddler with the leather hat!

Iím interested canoe touring (rather than canoeing as a sport) - albeit that Iím happy on rapids no more than grade 1-2.

If you live in or near Bristol (England) and fancy a trip, please feel free to contact me. As long as you donít mind being the bow paddler and assisting with the car-topping.

Claims to fame Ė well, not so many! I was though, the first Canadian canoeist to complete the Droitwich Ring in 1999 (12 years before the Droitwich canals were restored). I was also the first person to post a petition (in 2007) on the Prime Ministerís website asking for legislation to give canoeists and all other users of un-powered craft the right to navigate all rivers and canals in England and Wales without restriction or the payment of charges. This petition achieved 7,818 signatures, but the governmentís response was negative, as you would expect. (Others have submitted similar petitions since - also with negative outcomes).

Here is a list of waterways on which Iíve canoed (only sections of which, in most cases!)

River Alne
    River Arrow
    River Avon (Bristol)
    River Avon (Warwickshire)
    River Bure
    River Cam
    River Cherwell
    River Creuse (France)
    River Frome (Bristol)
    River Lugg
    River Parrett
    River Penk
    River Salwarpe
    River Severn
    River Sow
    River Thames
    River Tone
    River Trent
    River Wye
    Semington Brook

Bristol Feeder Canal
    Bristol Floating Harbour
    Droitwich Barge Canal
    Droitwich Junction Canal
    Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal
    Grand Union Canal
    Kennet and Avon Canal
    Oxford Canal
    Somerset Coal Canal
    Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal
    Stroudwater Canal
    Taunton Canal
    Trent and Mersey Canal
    Worcester and Birmingham Canal

Hello and Welcome!

Impressive CV!

Some nice rivers and canals on your list. At a very quick count, I've only been on 14 of them, but could produce a different list of my own!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Oh yes lists...............

Welcome to the forum. We have a few members down your way. I'm sure there will be a couple along to go for a paddle with you shortly.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi Mal Grey

Thanks for the welcome!

Obtaining information on waterways (especially those not covered by the BC Licence) is often the key to a successful trip. Things like access difficulites with landowners, ingress/egress points, wild camping possibilities etc.

In the past, I've mostly found out things the hard way. One of my very first trips was down the River Wye - Monmouth to Brockweir. On reaching Brockweir, we moored the canoe to trees (bow and stern) and went to the pub. Came back a couple of hours to find the canoe suspended 8ft up in the air - we hadn't realised that the Wye was tidal at this point!

I'm hoping that Song of the Paddle will be a useful source of information to me when planning trips. I'd like to be able to reciprocate by providing information to other members if and when asked. That's why I posted the list of waterways that I've paddled.

P.S. I'd be interested to see your list!

Hi Big Al

Thanks for the welcome and yes, hoping to meet up with some fellow canoe touring enthusiasts from my area!

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Can View Post
    Hi Mal Grey

Thanks for the welcome!

Obtaining information on waterways (especially those not covered by the BC Licence) is often the key to a successful trip. Things like access difficulites with landowners, ingress/egress points, wild camping possibilities etc.

In the past, I've mostly found out things the hard way. One of my very first trips was down the River Wye - Monmouth to Brockweir. On reaching Brockweir, we moored the canoe to trees (bow and stern) and went to the pub. Came back a couple of hours to find the canoe suspended 8ft up in the air - we hadn't realised that the Wye was tidal at this point!

I'm hoping that Song of the Paddle will be a useful source of information to me when planning trips. I'd like to be able to reciprocate by providing information to other members if and when asked. That's why I posted the list of waterways that I've paddled.

P.S. I'd be interested to see your list!
    Paddle Points can be very useful, though as with all user-entered resources, sometimes the info is a little vague or inaccurate. Normally its good though.

As for my list, that might take a while, especially if it includes each Scottish Loch and its Gaelic name...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle