Thread: River Waveney, Ellingham Sluice

Default River Waveney, Ellingham Sluice

Access upstream or downstream here is tenuous at best. The portage platform up stream is fine but access/egress downstream is all but impossible, with fencing put up by I believe the local angling club, no specific access/egress point, and gates and stiles with barbed wire around some posts. As of 10/7/19.

Thumbs up

It used to be doable (but contentious) here, although I've not done that section in the last 2 years. You needed two people to lower the canoes down on a rope from the front and back. You could then climb down the brickwork and get in the canoe in the pool below. I remember getting the dog down was the hardest bit. Never had any trouble with anglers on the waveney, but it's definitely the angling club that's put up the fences as I recall they have a sign there as well.

It's crazy as there is a canoe route all the way from diss with portage platforms and from ellingham you're on the navigation.

I'll have to go and check it out now! Did you get any photos?

Cheers,

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Hi …
    RE the photos, no.
    Many on the water and in the pubs were aware/talking about it.
    As you say, you'll need two able people, and a boat you don't mind a knock, bang or scratch or two. That's my wood boat out then...… It would at best be a carry of a couple hundred...maybe less, metres.
    I had planned a day trip from 3 Rivers to the Bungay loop and back. I'll wait til a stay at Outney, now, and do up river separately. Sometime......

that's a shame I enjoyed my trip down the waveney many years ago following this:
    https://britishcanoeing.org.uk/uploa...rrangement.pdf

and was looking forward to doing it again some time. What happened?