Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello everyone, I am very new here. I have,however been canoeing/kayaking most of my life and yet am far from expert. I live in northern Michigan near the AuSable river. My family owned a canoe livery on the AuSable for many years. I expect to retire soon and then the canoe trips will be nearly endless. I am going to plan to paddle the BWCAW at least once a year from now on. I moved to Florida so missed out on some northern paddling for 12 years. I'm back and anxious to go. Canada is another favorite destination.

You guys sound very informative and knowledgeable. I believe I'm home at last. Thank You...Jackpine Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jackpine jerry View Post
    Hello everyone, I am very new here. I have,however been canoeing/kayaking most of my life and yet am far from expert. I live in northern Michigan near the AuSable river. My family owned a canoe livery on the AuSable for many years. I expect to retire soon and then the canoe trips will be nearly endless. I am going to plan to paddle the BWCAW at least once a year from now on. I moved to Florida so missed out on some northern paddling for 12 years. I'm back and anxious to go. Canada is another favorite destination.

You guys sound very informative and knowledgeable. I believe I'm home at last. Thank You...Jackpine Jerry
    Hello and Welcome!

You might be better starting your own post, folk might not notice it in this thread.

Sounds like you live in the perfect place for paddlin', so very much looking forward to tales of your trips.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I’ve moved these into their own thread.

Welcome to SotP. I envy you your coming retirement and endless canoe trips. A dream of mine but still way in the distance.
    John

Welcome to our forum, it sounds like you have a great plan for your retirement. I wish you every success with it.

I retired just over a year ago with similar ideas as to what I would do. In my case however, I've done less canoeing than I did when I was working. But fear not, this is peculiar to me. When I was working, canoeing was a panacea for a stressful work life, so I went often, on short trips. When I retired, I found the stress disappeared and so I didn't "need" to go as often. The difference is, when I go out now, it's on longer trips, with better quality time.

So good luck on your retirement, I look forward to following your journey both on the water and on your blogs.

Happy paddling.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb