Thread: 1st Thursday of the Month Paddle - 4/7/19, Surrey ish

Default 1st Thursday of the Month Paddle - 4/7/19, Surrey ish

Hey folks

I'm hoping to get a paddle in on Thursday evening. However, two things affect location. 1, I am working in the Richmond area and don't know when I'll finish exactly. 2, I'll be using the folding canoe so need to allow more time to build it. These combined mean it needs to be in striking distance of Richmond.

I'm thinking of launching at 6.30pm (so for me, 5.30 arrival for time to build canoe and faff!!!)

So, two options spring to mind.

1. Thames at Walton, though traffic may be a pain for people to get there. Paddle up to Shepperton via one side of Desborough Island and back the other (possible Sunbury backwater option).
    2. Pyrford Lock and up to the Hoe Stream, up that a bit, then back to paddle to the Priory and then back.

Any takers, any preferences?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Will let you know tomorrow once I know what I'm working Thursday

A definite maybe preference for Walton as I will have driven enough by then

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Potentially up for a Thursday eve paddle, but for me, Walton would be a heavy drive at that time. My preference would have to be the Wey, but isn't parking very limited at Pyrford (2 or 3 cars)?

I would like to try to come out to play; I'm going to need to wake up my paddling muscles before the Henley campaign !

Being "way out west" like Jim, I too would prefer the Wey. Subject to parking issues of course.

I will attempt to locate my boat and some rowing sticks this evening and throw them at a car in preparation.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I'm up for this! Booked a night off cadets especially!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

I also wish to confirm a tentative interest in these proceedings. Learner paddler, flexible with timing or venue.

Hey guys,

Good to have plenty of interest.

Given how the day will probably go*, and having looked at the travelling times at rush hour, plus JIm's reminder about parking at Pyrford (which was fine if just 1 or 2 people, but that's about the limit) I'm going to choose Walton. Sorry to those in the wrong direction! It will also make a change from the Wey, for me at least. Don't mind if we go Shepperton or Sunbury direction, will decide on the evening.

Whilst I hope to arrive by 5.30pm, not intending to be afloat until 6.30pm. Masses of free parking, and space for boat building!.

http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=146

Nick, either option would be fine for a learner.

*I virtually guarantee that I will either be an hour late or an hour early!!!

hello at this moment I will not be out as car in for mot and on a silly early start Friday
    graham

Hi Mal
    I think I will struggle to make Walton in time due to earlier commitments, so will have to pass. Have a good one.

I am now looking decidedly unlikely to finish early enough tomorrow to come out to play :-(
    I've just got in and I'm too hot, knackered and dirty to faff around loading boats and sh!t tonight.

Beware the Hampton Court Garden Festival. and approaches to Walton Bridge. Really grim tonight at about 6 ish.

Bugger, didn't think about the flowery thing. That probably makes my whole day a nightmare...but reckon you're right about Walton. Hopefully using the A3 will help.

OK, change of plan!!!

I will just have to make sure I'm done early enough, and get to Pyrford lock. I'm sure if we talk to the pub about parking, and give them some business later, that the same rude chap won't tell us to feck off again.

Same times, 6.30 put in.

Sorry to mess about.

Word of warning, the whole area around Kingston, Richmond Sunbury etc is an absolute nightmare at the moment due to Hampton Court flower show, Wimbledon tennis and various roads closed due to road works.Walton bridge is bad at the best of times. It took me well over an hour to travel home from Kingston , a grand total of 11 miles.

I'm on for Pyrford tonight. See you there in my sensible light weight glider with saw.

I can still make it, I don't mind parking down the lane a bit and using a trolley. However my back is a bit stiff today, so I may have to press gang a family member to "help out".

I am sure help will be available at Pyrford, without need to rely on the Press.

That may be preferable. The last time I had crew on board chaos ensued, and I was compelled to hop over the side in my underpants to retrieve my glasses.

edit: I now have a rubber band attachment to prevent this.
    Last edited by Nick A; 4th-July-2019 at 09:36 AM.

I'm a bit snowed under with work today, but might be able to get out later this eve, but after the arranged time. If so, I'll probably come round the Priory loop and hunt you folks up the Hoe/Bourne...whatever it's called.

Sat in Chiswick having to Richmond out of the way this morning, with just one more call to make. Hopefully this means I can use M3 or even M4 to escape the traffic problems. I have a sneaky plan to finish early then drive there and write up my reports in the Anchor.

Food wise, I shall just be bringing a pasty or something.

Currently in the Anchor with a cold ginger beer.

Pub fine with a few cars overflowing from layby to their car park, as long as we're having a beer.

Stewart just walked in.

Off duty in 20 mins, then on canoe building duty!

Enjoyed the evening, Mal, especially the jungle foray up the Hoe. Ta for the squirts of your mighty mosi repellant. I must get some of that as it clearly works. Thanks for organising. Right...back to work!

Sorry to rush off like that, but had left home with things still needed for the morrow.

After the Abbey Stream and now the Hoe I can confirm that I am not a ditcher, and only put up with it because I live so far from White Water. However it was nice to renew old aquantainces and make new ones, and to discuss Sheryl Crow's set at Glastenbury. all the while swatting midges. Mal's Marvelous Midge Machinegun must have pentrated to the end of the line 'cos I had no itches this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Enjoyed the evening, Mal, especially the jungle foray up the Hoe. Ta for the squirts of your mighty mosi repellant. I must get some of that as it clearly works. Thanks for organising. Right...back to work!
    Smidge is good stuff, the best of the non-DEET/chemical warfare repellents I've used, and almost pleasant to put on, at the same time as being seemingly effective. Unfortunately I left it 10 minutes too late and have some good bumps on my head today...

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Sorry to rush off like that, but had left home with things still needed for the morrow.

After the Abbey Stream and now the Hoe I can confirm that I am not a ditcher, and only put up with it because I live so far from White Water. However it was nice to renew old aquantainces and make new ones, and to discuss Sheryl Crow's set at Glastenbury. all the while swatting midges. Mal's Marvelous Midge Machinegun must have pentrated to the end of the line 'cos I had no itches this morning.
    No problem Peter, nice to see you, as always. Mind you, that wasn't ditching, I turned back as soon as it started to become ditch-like, as the call of The Pasty was strong. The next 2 miles up that we missed are, without doubt, the most ditchy outside of the realms of the Patterdale Paddler that I've investigated. Must go back with Pith Helmets at some point.

Mal, you don't have to be hardcore to know if you like something or not......in this case....or not, but it was a very pleasant interlude, and no doubt I will be out on some more in due course. But before that the Dee with Garth , may be the Ligwy, and some surfing at 4 mile Bridge.