Thread: Heads Up. Solstice paddle, Fri evening, 21st June

Default Heads Up. Solstice paddle, Fri evening, 21st June

OK, I haven't yet thought this through, or worked out where, but if the weather plays ball I intend to be on the water at sunset on Friday. Work means I can't be there at sunrise, though in theory sunrise Saturday after an overnight might be manageable...but it'll be somewhere that folk can chose to do an evening only paddle easily enough too.

Something within about 45 mins of Woking; Wey, Basingstoke Canal or Thames I guess. Likely meet 6/6.30pm ish. Ideally want somewhere I can at least nearly see the sun set from!

So keep an eye out, and let me know if you might be up for this.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Possibly count me in please, think I have something on the 21st, but paddle alreadt sounds better

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I should be up for this!

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Oh, I do think so. No idea where I've put my druid's costume though!

Unfortunately I'm working Friday night, but am up for a paddle on the Saturday - weather is currently looking peachy for a Poole Harbour paddle if anyone is interested?

I'm up for this, could do an overnight if your up fir it.

I'm in Oxford the evening of the 21st, but I suspect I can't sneak a canoe on the car without Mrs Tyro noticing.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Sounds tempting - I shall prepare the ground ..

Quote Originally Posted by Nickout View Post
    Sounds tempting - I shall prepare the ground ..
    can you ask graham.

Have you guys seen that Otters have been confirmed on the canal around Colt Wolf area. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Have you guys seen that Otters have been confirmed on the canal around Colt Wolf area. ��
    Heard rumours about it. Has there been any solid evidence?

On the canal page it was confirmed by English nature although I can't find the post now ��

Anymore plans for this? Poole harbour looks amazing for Saturday - i paddled last year and it was just stunning. Depends what we do Friday.

Poole Harbour too far for me for Friday night, but maybe Sat! High Tide lunchtime.

Or Chichester Harbour a bit nearer.

Fri night

Probably thinking Winchfield, if there is a visible sunset, we can see it at Tundry Pond where the canal is alongside. Might be possible for a sneaky overnighter there, though the ground is getting a bit overgrown (used to be OK)

I might be paddling St Patricks Stream/Hennerton on Friday daytime, but should be ok for a local overnighter. Might have to meet you there depending on traffic etc, but sunset not until after 9pm. Free for paddling Saturday too, but will have to assess knackeredness.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    I might be paddling St Patricks Stream/Hennerton on Friday daytime, but should be ok for a local overnighter. Might have to meet you there depending on traffic etc, but sunset not until after 9pm. Free for paddling Saturday too, but will have to assess knackeredness.
    Jim, fancy doing thursday night wild camp?
    Saturday, conditions are perfect for poole harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Jim, fancy doing thursday night wild camp?
    Saturday, conditions are perfect for poole harbour.
    I'm afraid Thursday night is probably a bit tight for me, Maj. Also, I'm not sure I want to be camping both nights, particularly if I have a long paddle on Friday. Not sure about Poole as it's a long early drive after a wild camp and I might be cream crackered by then.
    So many options.....!

I'm watching this thread evolve whilst trying to work out which of the proposals i can fit in with :-)

I'm watching it evolve too, despite supposedly being the one in charge of it.!

Wanting to get an overnight in, and also wanting to do Adrian's Poole Harbour paddle on Saturday, not quite sure on timings.

So might just be a Fri eve from Winchfield for the purposes of planning.

Just too much going on, so I will miss this. Hope you all have a great paddle. Interestingly, this group increasingly sounds like an off shoot of the canoe camping club, so I'm off to the Wey outlet weir with the Aftershock this afternoon if it doesn't rain too much.

I am afraid I shall not be making it - I have decided to just do the Poole run instead.

See you, maybe Saturday?

Nick

Current thinking for Friday is 6pm meet at Winchfield Hurst. (will bring keys for barrier so we won't be locked in, but see below, hopefully somebody else will also have some)

Paddle for a couple of hours. Finish at the bit where the canal passes the end of Tundry Pond, and cook food here, firebox stuff. Then, I once sat here and watched the sun set over the pond on the same date, so hopefully we've got a chance of doing the same!

Then return to cars in the last light.

I am still considering staying there overnight, that might depend on if I go to Poole or not for the next morning, which would be a big ask getting there from a wild camp. Its not impossible, there's a small part of me that says "get up to watch sunrise too", but I'd technically be a day late! That, though, would allow me plenty of time to drive to Poole, and I'd be half an hour closer too. The camp spot is OK, but its got a bit more overgrown. Definitely a "pitch late, get up early" job, though it does seem to be an approved mooring spot. If I do this, I won't be able to open the car park gate, but I'm sure we'll work something out.

I intend to join you on the canal and will probably camp, if camping is happening. Happy to rise early, but will most likely not be heading to Poole. I do have a CRT key, which did open the padlock at Winchfield when I tried.

I will try my very bestest to join you on Friday.
    I won't be able to do the Poole thing; I doubt I'm paddle-fit enough to do the distance and I'm not organised enough to get my sh!t together in time.

Useless at decisions as I am, I'm now thinking of joining the Poole odyssey, but I wouldn't want to drive down after a camp. If that's the case, I will happily join you for a canal paddle, dinner and hopefully, a glimpse of the solstice sunset. Of course, I could change my mind at any moment ;-)

I'm also just going to paddle now, for similar reasons. And I have a feeling the "camp spot" is going to be quite overgrown anyway...

Plenty of time for a nice relaxed dinner though! I will probably treat myself to a beer, too. And the weather's looking kind for a sunset with clear skies.

So, 6pm for 6.30 ish on the water.

With Aftershocks seat an inch lower, we surfed rather eratically the waves of the Wey outlet weir, as promised, and , once again, stayed in the boat. Going to rip out some of the outfitting in an attempt to get another inch lower. Paddling during the day tomorrow, been on the road too much recently so will not be soltice ing (and what is the non engineer view on the long running proposal to put the Devon and Cornwall road in a tunnel next to Stonehenge, depriving millions of the uplifting sight as the hill is crested, so that paying guests at the monument may find it a tad quieter???) ( and any one want to draw a parallel with HS2 when we can't afford to mend our roads, staff our hospitals and get our commuter trains to run) This post could disappear as too political, so I just say sorry to be missing Poole Harbour, one of the best SotP paddles I've been on.

Sorry you can't join us Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    With Aftershocks seat an inch lower, we surfed rather eratically the waves of the Wey outlet weir, as promised, and , once again, stayed in the boat. Going to rip out some of the outfitting in an attempt to get another inch lower. Paddling during the day tomorrow, been on the road too much recently so will not be soltice ing (and what is the non engineer view on the long running proposal to put the Devon and Cornwall road in a tunnel next to Stonehenge, depriving millions of the uplifting sight as the hill is crested, so that paying guests at the monument may find it a tad quieter???) ( and any one want to draw a parallel with HS2 when we can't afford to mend our roads, staff our hospitals and get our commuter trains to run) This post could disappear as too political, so I just say sorry to be missing Poole Harbour, one of the best SotP paddles I've been on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I'm also just going to paddle now, for similar reasons. And I have a feeling the "camp spot" is going to be quite overgrown anyway...

Plenty of time for a nice relaxed dinner though! I will probably treat myself to a beer, too. And the weather's looking kind for a sunset with clear skies.

So, 6pm for 6.30 ish on the water.
    I'll be there avec les burgers de boeuf...and maybe a cheeky cider.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Peter. Glad you resisted all attempts by the Aftershock to chuck you in the water. Totally agree about the A303 and HS2. Remind me to rant when I see you!

I'm now looking decidedly doubtful for tonight.

If I'm coming, I'll text

(What is this work-life-balance thing I hear talk of ? I think mine's broken or at least needs an overhaul)

An excellent way to spend the longest evening. Beautiful calm paddling, mostly in the woods, with some excellent burgers, lovely sunset over the lake, classical guitar accompaniment, and the moons of Jupiter a bonus at the end!

Thanks for your company chaps, and a pleasure to celebrate your birthday with you Stewart.

See some of you for part two in the morning. Sh1t its half 12, better get to bed!

I concur - an excellent evening in all respects. Happy birthday to Stewart.

Just going to stick some photos here, not got enough for a blog.

Nice pictures Mal,

I will tag mine on here too

Last edited by silverbeard; 24th-June-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Looks a perfect way to spend the evening, nice photos!