Thread: Suggestions for a weekend trip please

Question Suggestions for a weekend trip please

Hello again

I received a delightful gift or my 50th; my daughter will take me canoe camping for a weekend!

The Wye was suggested, but if it's just the two of us then getting back to the car is a problem I don't want to have to deal with. I'm thinking I'd rather go to a lake, especially one with an island. That way getting back to the car isn't a problem, and I don't have to worry about hazards on the river like the thousands of other tourists on the Wye in Summer.

What I'm looking for (in order of priority):

1. Easy to get back to the car after 2 days of canoeing
    2. Camping facilities (basic is fine, but with toilets at least; showers would be nice)
    3. Reasonably quiet (not a tourist trap)
    4. Less than 5 hours drive from Exeter, Devon
    5. Interesting features such as scenery, wildlife, shops, and a pub

Do you have something in mind? Maybe bend my rubber arm and suggest something that doesn't quite match what I'm looking for?

The camping doesn't fit as it is 'wild', but I have had some delightful overnight trips to Derwentwater. Blogs of 2 of them here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...n-Derwentwater
    and here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Derwent-Water http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...t-Water-part-2
    There is some lakeside camping in Keswick too.

Also in the Lakes, Coniston and Ullswater may fit nicely with 'proper' campsites

Come to York next weekend for the canoe race. Free camping. Lots of pubs. Camp beside the river. Take part in a fun race on the Saturday. Four hours fifty minutes from Exeter according to Google. Just saying.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hey Bernie

Can't believe you're 50 again!

When would this be?

Wye was always going to be a suggestion, the various taxi services like Kenny's make it genuinely very easy to get both you and your canoe back to the car, or from the car to the start. I would avoid weekends during July and August though. Could be lovely in Sept. Byecross Farm is a great camp site, even when busy.

Upper Thames is nice, you could do a "there and back" to Shifford Lock camping from Wolvercote (parking in village for security not car park, after dropping boat at car park) for a long trip, or Bablock Hythe for a shorter one. Very pleasant paddling and an even more pleasant small campsite. Flow on the Thames in summer is normally negligible. (Other sites at Rushey or Pinkhill could also work). No pubs near the campsite, but they're too nice not to want to sit quietly at whilst cooking and having a little drink or three. Several pubs passed on route.

Bala is within 5 hours in theory, two campsites on the shores opposite each other, but could be busy. Glanllyn and Pant Yr Onnen (Bala Camping on google maps).

Brecon and Monmouth canal has a posh campsite at Pencelli, and the top section is mostly lock free.

Lake District is probably too far, and will definitely be busy if in summer. Low Wrap NT campsite on Windermere would be quieter than Coniston Hall on Coniston, which gets rowdy.

Not sure on the campsites, but for a quieter trip you could look at the Nene or Great Ouse. Houghton Mill?

Have a good one, whenever it is!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

What about Kennet and avon canal, lots of sites around bath, that said lake district is fab, not sure you can reach within five hrs of Exeter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I've had a busy weekend, mostly offline and this week looks busy as well. It's an open offer so I'm not in a rush. I'd rather we both get to enjoy it than get it over and done with; offers like this don't come along that often!

Don't know if it would suit your purpose Bernie, but closer to home is Wimbleball lake in the Quantocks.
    It's a nice spot (not so good if windy), there's camping with toilets and a shower. There's a small café shop on site.
    There's a launching fee to be paid and they like you to stay in sight of the ranger cabin, but that's no fun, so just surreptitiously paddle over the horizon.
    If you like the look of it, make sure you enquire if there's any group activities booked for the time you're thinking of. Stay away if there is !!

There's also Roadwater lake in Cornwall, which is run by the same people as those above. I briefly visited there but I don't know about facilities and it's more open than Wimbleball.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hi Bernie, if you do want to consider the Wye, I'm hoping to do the top section(s) sometime in the next few weeks while the river levels are still up. So far just one post-A'level daughter and myself, dates to be decided. I do have a bottle of port and a bottle of rum that need fishing off, not that it would sway our decision-making in any way of course. Anyway, I have some leave to use up so let us know. Ralph

I do have a bottle of port and a bottle of rum that need fishing off
    Ralph, if you give the fish port and rum, it probably will finish them off
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Awesome pressy!

The Biggish Meet will tick most of your boxes - flat water river loops rather than a lake, but no shuttling! Depending where in Exeter it should be sub-4hrs. Not so sure on the "reasonably quiet" - but don't think anyone's accused Barrow of being a "tourist trap". More than welcome to come along and do your own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    The Biggish Meet will tick most of your boxes - flat water river loops rather than a lake, but no shuttling! Depending where in Exeter it should be sub-4hrs. Not so sure on the "reasonably quiet" - but don't think anyone's accused Barrow of being a "tourist trap". More than welcome to come along and do your own thing.
    I've made a decision! Daughter and I are going to the Biggish Meet. It's something I've always wanted to do but never thought I could get permission from the boss.

Thanks for your note Cankay!

Daughter and I are going to the Biggish Meet.
    Great stuff, looking forward to saying "hi"

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    I've made a decision! Daughter and I are going to the Biggish Meet. It's something I've always wanted to do but never thought I could get permission from the boss.

Thanks for your note Cankay!
    Excellent, hope to see you then. Probably best you don't tell her about SOTP folk first
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Probably best you don't tell her about SOTP folk first
    She knows, she met me once
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman