Thread: Rain Rain go a-wey

Default Rain Rain go a-wey

Good evening the Wey trippers....a window of opportunity has opened (along with the heavens) and I was thinking about a first outing on the Wey tomorrow around the Tannery region. However as it has been stair rods all day is this a wise idea? Your experience would be welcomed.

Rich

Forecast is fairly dry, with some chance of light showers in the afternoon.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2019-06-10

Hard to tell. Currently rising steeply at Farnham, but how fast the "pulse" travels will depend how the weirs are managed. Potentially might have to avoid backwaters due to flow, or they may be fine.

Worst case scenario, just pootle up and down the navigation.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks chaps, I’ll do just that

Rich

You may have noticed that it came up a bit!!

https://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpre...us-conditions/

Its all relative, as the canalised sections would still be fine, even if closed. The bit between Worsfold and Triggs would be hard to paddle against! I'd avoid the backwaters in these conditions unless happy on proper moving water full of trees.

Thanks again....best laid plans and all that..my sons car broke down on the way to sit an A level ! So emergency plans went into operation and I didn’t make it......(these things are sent to test us).....still planning to go tomorrow

Id be interested to find out if this rain has pushed triggs water level up to the canal height...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellery View Post
    Id be interested to find out if this rain has pushed triggs water level up to the canal height...
    That's only ever happened the once that I've seen. What I can say is that looking at the gauge history on RiverApp, this isn't as high as it was just before Christmas when we paddled it. However, its been far higher in previous years, yet did NOT back up on Triggs Loop to the height of the canal. Something unique was happening that day, presumably due to gates management lower down.

One problem is that there are no reliable gauges on the middle section of the Wey, as its all so "managed" with the weirs, that the real level on the backwaters is unclear, depending on which direction they've sent it. Brooklands and Tilford are relatively unaffected and seem to be good indicators. Guildford isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    That's only ever happened the once that I've seen. What I can say is that looking at the gauge history on RiverApp, this isn't as high as it was just before Christmas when we paddled it. However, its been far higher in previous years, yet did NOT back up on Triggs Loop to the height of the canal. Something unique was happening that day, presumably due to gates management lower down.

One problem is that there are no reliable gauges on the middle section of the Wey, as its all so "managed" with the weirs, that the real level on the backwaters is unclear, depending on which direction they've sent it. Brooklands and Tilford are relatively unaffected and seem to be good indicators. Guildford isn't!

I remember that well... it did not quite reach the level of the canal but almost