Thread: Farndon to Chester after heavy rain?

Default Farndon to Chester after heavy rain?

Hi Folks,
    I was planning on paddling the Dee between Farndon and Chester this Sunday and we seem to be in for a fair bit of rain over the next 2 days. Does anyone know if thereís anything to watch out for (it looks a pretty placid river at this point) other than accidentally shooting the weir in Chester and an occasional Spring tidal surge although I donít think any are due?
    Many thanks Bill

Farndon to Chester is great run at all levels IF YOU HAVE THE SKILLS. If its in flood and you cut the corners the please close the gates.
    Seriously when its flowing well keep well away from the trees and edges
    Check the levels
    https://rloi.naturalresources.wales/...s?station=4170
    You will also see if the tide is over the weir.
    Remember there are sections with high banks.
    If in doubt don't go.

The levels aren't much affected at the moment - it takes a lot of rain to bring it up in summer, and the Dee headwaters are regulated. I don't know why the level peaks occur in the level graph linked above. It's too far upstream to be tidal, and the station upstream https://rloi.naturalresources.wales/...s?station=4241 doesn't show any.

Thanks guys. Sounds like it shouldn’t be too much trouble even with the rain - will make sure the gates are firmly closed!
    I was wondering about the peaks as well - it’s a pretty quick rise and looks even weirder when you plot a full month.
    Last edited by Bill H; 8th-June-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it shouldn’t be too much trouble even with the rain - will make sure the gates are firmly closed!
    I was wondering about the peaks as well - it’s a pretty quick rise and looks even weirder when you plot a full month. I think they might have a problem with their gauge!

The R Dee is tidal up to Farndon on spring tides. The Ironbridge gauge further down is a good indicator. As long as you keep out of the trees there are no dramas.

You may as well catch a ride up and paddle back down, if the tides are high. Otherwise check to make sure you don't meet a rising tide. Is still paddleable but harder work

https://rloi.naturalresources.wales/...s?station=4173

Paul
    Last edited by bin_man; 7th-June-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bin_man View Post
    The R Dee is tidal up to Farndon on spring tides. The Ironbridge gauge further down is a good indicator. As long as you keep out of the trees there are no dramas.

You may as well catch a ride up and paddle back down, if the tides are high. Otherwise check to make sure you don't meet a rising tide. Is still paddleable but harder work

https://rloi.naturalresources.wales/...s?station=4173

Paul
    Thanks Paul, makes more sense when you say Farndon is potentially still tidal. Looks like we've just had the last of the peaks in this set of spring tides (assuming you typically get 11 peaks here) and the current peak is rain. Certainly worth timing another trip to hit a rising Spring tide - I love rivers that flow both ways!

Dee rising rapidly. Not sure how it will affect this section by tomorrow, but caution required.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I've only done this section once. Whilst lunching,( having had no part in planning, just turned up,) I noticed, to the scoffing of others, that the tide had tuned. As we sat it out a bit further down stream, not only did the tide go really fast upstream, but it carried large trees and lots of other debris with it. It should be possible on the web, to find the height of the weir, and the height of the tide on your chosen day, and then allowing for excessive flow on the river, or strong winds up the estuary, predict whether the weir will be over topped or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Dee rising rapidly. Not sure how it will affect this section by tomorrow, but caution required.
    Thanks Mal, definitely on its way up, just hope it eases a little over night or we may be going OVER Chilealan’s gates!