Thread: Cleaning up!

Currently Quebec Province, Canada. Oftimes N. Somerset, UK

Default Cleaning up!

All of a sudden!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48526518

Since so many other folks seem to be involved and active in cleaning the accessible waterways, and hooray for that, might it be the role of SotP members to take this opportunity access the parts other boats cannot reach ;-)
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

The use of our waterways as dumping grounds is awful indeed. I did smile a little at this, though:
    Dan Perry, the co-founder of Rage Against Rubbish, agrees - with single-use plastics a major concern for many.
    He said he had seen eels trapped inside discarded bottles...

Reely?

Just make sure you don't organise the clean up otherwise it will become an "event" and need all kinds of risk assessments and third party liability insurances .....
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Currently Quebec Province, Canada. Oftimes N. Somerset, UK

Quote Originally Posted by twopigs View Post
    Just make sure you don't organise the clean up otherwise it will become an "event" and need all kinds of risk assessments and third party liability insurances .....
    I'd rather thought of some "guerilla" paddling, "justified" by a clean up.

Difficult for anyone to object if you're picking up litter; the objectors would look pretty silly!
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Quite a few clean up paddles happen, and have done for years, the more the merrier.

Reminds me I was going to suggest another one for the Wey.

We've done more organised ones with the Basingstoke Canal folk, and on the Medway. Normally though, we just go out with some bin bags. The biggest hurdle is potentially getting rid of your big pile of binbags, as it may be deemed too much for household waste, and if you take it to the dump, you might even get charged for it! That's where doing it with an "authority" works well. If its just a few of us, we can normally take a few bags each and get rid of them. Quite hard to sort recyclable and non-recyclable stuff when its covered in manky stuff and full of yucky liquids. In the past we've just binned it, but these days I'd like to put a bit more effort in and at least sort the plastic bottles out.

There is always a competition for the strangest object found. Also, for the Grand Slam; a traffic cone, a bicycle and a shopping trolley.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Did anyone else notice on Springwatch last night that the final piece of litter that defeated them just as they cut away was a wheely bin in the canal?!

A chap from the Bath canoe club came back towing a fridge last year. It had a packet of still-in-date bacon in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro