Thread: johnny

Default johnny

hi there, I'm new to canoeing having just taken delivery of a 16ft silver birch canoe. I've paddled a total of 15 days on and off in Scotland. I live in Sheffield and need some tips on where to take it within 3hrs drive?
    anybody know, would appreciate help, thanks.

Hello and Welcome!

The Chesterfield Canal would make a good place to start. Perhaps over near Retford where its nice and rural and there are few locks. Have a look on Paddle Points for ideas of launch points; http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?RiverId=34

There's also a reasonably active bunch in S Yorks/Notts/Leics, so keep an eye on the Meets section (e.g. the "Bigish meet"). Newcomers are always welcome.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

great, thank you....do you know if its okay to launch on the huddersfield narrow canal near uppermill?

Sorry, not one I know I'm afraid. Being Canal and River trust it's likely no problem but needing a licence.

Most canals are fine, in theory you usual need a licence to paddle them and other managed waterways (as opposed to natural rivers). Joining Canoe England normally covers almost all the ones you're likely to paddle, for less than buying a specific licence from the Canal and River Trust which would just cover their waterways.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle