Thread: Anyone tried a gstove (inside a tentipi?)

Default Anyone tried a gstove (inside a tentipi?)

Hi everyone,

I own a 16ft old town camper. It isnít getting much use whilst we keep having more children but Iím keeping the fantasy alive!

I own a Tentipi for camping which I have had to progressively exchange for bigger sizes - now a size 9. Iím looking to get a good stove for it. I have a frontier stove but the flu sections donít line up with the chimney opening very well, also it isnít stainless.

I was looking at the gstove - it looks very nicely welded, is stainless, has a window. Has anyone used one? The flue is I think the same size as the frontier, which is maybe a little narrow. The Tentipi one is very expensive but also very big, the helsport lavvu stove is more affordable, has the bigger size flue, is stainless but big.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I have the 9 and recently went on a tentipi weekend gathering, the G stove xl seems popular at the moment but I think
    retailers are waiting for delivery. check out tentipi users group uk [run by Proadventure] for more info and oppinions,

Thanks! Yes I think I realise Iíve not posted in the best place for this question - I guess I wasnít sure if some of the bigger stoves (or the xl) would be too bulky to take in a canoe ( or to tether to it in case of capsizing!). I thought people might use the smaller stoves more if canoe camping. Thanks again for your feedback.

Hi I made a stove from a gas bottle and it works very well I donít know how to post a photo for you
    ive got a 7 and in the snows of 2017 was very warm indeed

Quote Originally Posted by terry. young View Post
    I have the 9 and recently went on a tentipi weekend gathering, the G stove xl seems popular at the moment but I think
    retailers are waiting for delivery. check out tentipi users group uk [run by Proadventure] for more info and oppinions,
    Is that you Terry? I was at that weekend too, Tim here, how are you?
    Last edited by Gig; 9th-June-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    Tim

i'm using the winnerwell nomad medium in a robens mohawk and very happy with it, bit cheaper than the gstove and a bit more flexible - bigger window and door, the flue damper comes as standard , extras are a bit cheaper , the tent protector is very good

the only thing is it's a bit closer to the ground , you could melt a groundsheet even through a heatproof mat, i've made a heat shield from some aluminium sheet, and a bit of carpet under the heatmat and that solves the problem

these stoves are thin stainless steel, and will glow redhot!

Quote Originally Posted by Gig View Post
    Is that you Terry? I was at that weekend too, Tim here, how are you?
    Yes, Hi Tim, not too bad now mate thanks. Went for my exercise ECG on the following Tuesday and ended up with two
    stents fitted to my heart.
    So glad I hired the tent for that weekend and didn't go canoeing as I was told "closest I could get to a heart attack without actually having one," so I'm a lucky boy. hopefully catch you at another, with canoe in tow, oh and a whiskey bottle . Atb Terry

Goodness, that was a close call then and there's me trying to pour whisky down your neck too! Glad to hear things are OK and I definitely plan to go to the next event. Still not bought a Tentipi yet, tiding myself over with a Helsport until I really need the Tentipi. Take care of yerself' Terry and I'll raise a wee dram to your good health later, in my Terry Kuksa whisky cup

Back on topic I agree with Terry that the Gstove seemed popular amongst Tentipi owners, in fact out of the stoves that people owned that weekend, it seemed they were either an Eldfell or Gstove. I did quite a bit of nosing around regarding stoves, as I was in the market too. My main observation would be that the opening on the Gstove is relatively small compared to the Helsport and Eldfell, so you will pretty much always need to chop your wood before feeding a Gstove. With the Helsport and Eldfell you just open the door and chuck big chunks in, which Terry will attest too as I was jealously watching him do it in an Eldfell, thinking about the logs I needed to chop before feeding a frontier stove. Of course if you enjoy chopping wood, not an issue.

I will say that the Gstoves are extremely well made compared to the other two, especially the Helsport, plus you have a large range of accessories. The Helsport flue is not particularly good at all, but I do like the fire box. Both the Eldfell and Helsport despite being made of stainless steel suffer from surface rust after extended use. Easily remedied though, as per this post: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...light=helsport but you shouldn't have to worry about rust with a Gstove, at least I've seen no evidence of that yet, but time will tell.

Not sure if this is of interest, but it was something I was considering when making a decision.

Size of the opening to firebox;

Gstove: 15.5 x 12.5cm
    Helsport: 24 x 18cm
    Eldfell: 17 x 14.5cm

As you can see, you need much smaller wood for the Gstove, with the Helsport firebox being very easy to feed. That could be a deal breaker in more extreme weather as you'd have to feed the Gstove more often and likely not have much heat left during the early hours of the morning, unless you kept it going through the night.

All in all for me though, I personally prefer the Gstove due to it's extremely good build quality and the very good range of accessories available - it also just looks really cool with that window. There was one guy there with a Safir 9 and he owns both an Eldfell stove and a Gstove XL - he brought the XL with him that weekend and said he prefers it to the Eldfell.

I feel the size of the Gstove firebox is it's achilles heel, but I think the pros outweigh the cons when compared to the competition above.

YMMV and bear in mind I'm not an owner of any of the above stoves, just taken an interest in them and seen them all in action. It's all pretty subjective at the end of the day - but I'll be buying a Gstove.
    Last edited by Gig; 10th-June-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    Tim

Thanks everyone! Invaluable advice. Gig, I take your point about the firebox size. Also, itís a faff having to carry extra flue sections which donít fit inside the stove , the eldfel and helsport both fit enough inside for the size 9. But Iíll take a closer look at the gstove xl. Thanks again!

You'd still need to carry extra sections for the XL I reckon and the tent protector won't fit either if you need one of those, which on a Tentipi you would. I plan to either buy an aluminium chest for mine, or get a box custom made that's the perfect fit, not unlike the box you get with an Eldfell.

Good luck with making you choice, it took me ages to decide. Having said that, all three stoves are good and will work fine in a Tentipi. It just depends on how you are intending to use it and only you can decide that. If you are going to be doing winter camping in a Tentipi 9, then personally I think I'd bite the bullet and buy an Eldfell. I think even a Gsove XL would have some work to do keeping a 9 warm and you would be feeding it quite often.
    Last edited by Gig; 12th-June-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    Tim

Thanks Gig - I hear you, best to get on and try some. I am very realistic about any adventurous prospects being heavily constrained by the responsibilities to small children, I suspect even a normal size stove would do a half decent job for the spring autumn camping we are most lively to pursue? And a bonus if I can fit it all in the canoe!