Thread: Ridge tent

Default Ridge tent

Looking to get a pollycotton tent with more headroom than my current tent. Have looked at force 10 but has too low head height. Been looking at bct task 4 but cant get idea of size from pics. Has anyone got one or used one. Other recommendations would be good. Can't do bell tents or similar as has to portable, though not light enough for hiking.

The BCT looks nice, especially with the extension, shame they don't state the height in their dimensions, Why don't you phone them and ask - 01274728469.

What's your budget, what's your ideal height for the tent and does it have to be polycotton ? There's some nice, non polycotton tipi tents with inners(if needed) that are tall enough to stand up in on the market.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    The BCT looks nice, especially with the extension, shame they don't state the height in their dimensions, Why don't you phone them and ask - 01274728469.

What's your budget, what's your ideal height for the tent and does it have to be polycotton ? There's some nice, non polycotton tipi tents with inners(if needed) that are tall enough to stand up in on the market.
    Budget, don't want to spend more than 350. Height needs to be able to walk in slightly bent if needed but must be able to sit on chair with room for slight lateral movement. Looked at pollycotton for better climate than full synthetic and lighter than cotton. Looked at tipis and tentipi and helsport look out of my budget.

I don't know the model, but BCT stuff is good quality and will last.

Can't say as I'm a fan of ridge tents though! Just not enough usable headroom.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I like cotton or polycotton tents myself but in certain circumstances I'd definitely consider synthetic as long as it had an inner as well. I'd never have another single skin synthetic tent, but then I am old and like my creature comforts.

Bearing that in mind, I'd certainly consider;
    https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/out...nts/green-cone

Check out these together with inners;
    https://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tents

There's another make as well, who's name currently escapes me. They do more than one model and can be had with an inner and I believe from memory that they're in your budget. If you're interested, I'll make more of an effort to find them for you.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

My current tent is a hilleberg nallo 2. Great tent but have to crawl in and cannot use chair or other convenience items. Nallo is very good for four season and storm proof . Just looking for more comfort when base camping.
    Well we can put this baby to bed as I have gone for a bct task 4. Spoke to lady at bct and think it ticks most boxes.
    Last edited by richardg; 31st-May-2019 at 08:33 PM.

The BCT tent is superb.

I have a vintage Blacks Motorist in mint condition, and a very similar design, which I hadn't thought of of moving on, but might be open to having my arm bent/broken? (Reviews on UK Campsite)

As a curve ball, have you thought of something such as a 3 metre bell bell...or the Robens Fairbanks? The latter is a superb bit of kit...........(oops too late :-))
    Last edited by laurence milton; 16th-October-2019 at 12:14 PM.

I really like our Hypercamp Eldorado, but unpitched it is the weight and size of a medium teenager but won’t walk on its own. Good for car camping, very waterproof and strong in wind. It has the added benefit of not being a tipi, so it doesn’t look like you’re being fashionable.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p...-Eldorado/1699

Look at the link for reviews and pictures.

Sorry, just read the bit about portability. You don’t want a Hypercamp Eldorado, then.

...even sounds like a medium teenager!!

Yes got the BCT task force, been out twice now. Very nice tent and roomy. It is a base camp tent bit big for canoe camping but am very pleased with the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Yes got the BCT task force, been out twice now. Very nice tent and roomy. It is a base camp tent bit big for canoe camping but am very pleased with the purchase.
    I think a review with some piccies would go down a storm, on say, UKCampsite?????/

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    I think a review with some piccies would go down a storm, on say, UKCampsite?????/
    Am I right in thinking BCT no longer do these tent in cotton canvas?

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Am I right in thinking BCT no longer do these tent in cotton canvas?
    They make them in a pollycotton canvas. They use a Dutch product called tencate.

Ah right thanks....looking on their website it sounded like a pure polyester?
    Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    They make them in a pollycotton canvas. They use a Dutch product called tencate.
    Just to bring this to date for anyone else:
    TenCate is a quality cloth supplier, not a material. They supply cloths in cotton, polycotton and polyester. The current range of BCT Task Force tents is made from TenCates "All Season" material which is a polyester.
    Last edited by laurence milton; 16th-October-2019 at 12:11 PM.