Results 1 to 59 of 59

Thread: Bowers & Triggs Loops from the Tannery - Sat 1st or Sun 2nd June

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default Bowers & Triggs Loops from the Tannery - Sat 1st or Sun 2nd June

    For your paddling delight, I'm thinking of Bowers and Triggs loops from the Tannery on Sat or Sun this weekend. It's about 9.6 miles, but gets the long haul from Send to Bowers out of the way first with the fun stuff on the way back, A nearer weather check will decide the day. All are welcome.

    Anyone who's paddled at Bowers in the past few weeks (Maj?), might be able to advise on the temporary lock portage? I imagine it's do-able, but folk may wish to bring a trolley, depending on the accessibility.

    9.30 for 10am start at the Tannery, Send (http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=5119) with lunch on the Triggs loop.

    DEFINITE
    Jim

    HIGHLY LIKELY
    Mal

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Rather unlikely but I'll try Peter

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Rather unlikely but I'll try Peter
    It'd be good to see you if you can, Peter. We'll sort another Friday Thames outing soon.

    DEFINITE
    Jim
    HIGHLY LIKELY
    Mal
    RATHER UNLIKELY
    Peter
    Last edited by JimHou; 28th-May-2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Rubbish spelling

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the bank of the Basingstoke canal
    Posts
    904

    Default

    All you skin heads remember sun screen or a hat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    Shared on the Facebook group too, as some folk seem to find looking at actual websites a bit too complicated these days

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    All you skin heads remember sun screen or a hat.
    Behave, or we'll tell Max and Tash about that massive breakfast you had at the pub yesterday
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    All you skin heads remember sun screen or a hat.
    Nah...skins are well 'ard!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Shared on the Facebook group too, as some folk seem to find looking at actual websites a bit too complicated these days
    I'm a socialmediaphobe because it's too complicated

  7. #7

    Default

    I would have liked to tag along very much, but my car developed a fault on monday. Frusrating that it waited until i was ready to go canoing before it let me down.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    I would have liked to tag along very much, but my car developed a fault on monday. Frusrating that it waited until i was ready to go canoing before it let me down.
    That's a shame, Nick, but there will be plenty of opportunities as there are folk out on the Wey or Basingstoke Canal very regularly.

  9. #9

    Default

    Glad to hear it. Still gutted though the, forecast is good for this weekend. I shall take solace in researching quality of life enhancements for my new toy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Glad to hear it. Still gutted though the, forecast is good for this weekend. I shall take solace in researching quality of life enhancements for my new toy.
    To be honest, Saturday's paddle may not have been the best one to start with. The perfect paddle for developing your skills would be the Basingstoke Canal from Winchfield Hurst to Odiham Castle and back. It's a beautiful and very safe paddle which many of us do regularly. I'll keep an eye on the weather and look at a canal trip soon.

    Ah yes... the acquisition of life enhancing canoe accessories is addictive! There's a wealth of useful gear information on this forum to delve through too.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Aldershot
    Posts
    612

    Default

    I might well be up for a paddle at the weekend

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I might well be up for a paddle at the weekend
    I should jolly well think so!

    DEFINITE
    Jim
    HIGHLY LIKELY
    Mal
    RATHER UNLIKELY
    Peter
    MIGHT WELL BE
    Col

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    To be honest, Saturday's paddle may not have been the best one to start with. The perfect paddle for developing your skills would be the Basingstoke Canal from Winchfield Hurst to Odiham Castle and back. It's a beautiful and very safe paddle which many of us do regularly. I'll keep an eye on the weather and look at a canal trip soon.

    OK, are we settled on Saturday then? Best weather of the too, especially wind-wise.

    Just need to confirm my Sunday arrangements as meeting up with family on whichever day we don't paddle! (Priorities!!!)


    As Jim says, the Basingstoke Canal is a perfect and lovely place to learn.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    OK, are we settled on Saturday then? Best weather of the too, especially wind-wise.

    Just need to confirm my Sunday arrangements as meeting up with family on whichever day we don't paddle! (Priorities!!!)
    Glad your priorities are in order, Mal

    Saturday it is then - 9.30 for 10am at the Tannery. It's going to be a hot one.

    DEFINITE
    Jim
    (EVEN MORE) HIGHLY LIKELY
    Mal
    RATHER UNLIKELY
    Peter
    MIGHT WELL BE
    Col

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    As Jim says, the Basingstoke Canal is a perfect and lovely place to learn.
    Thanks for the tip chaps, Barley Mow to King Johns castle it is, it looks ideal.
    Meanwhile have fun on Saturday.

  16. #16

    Default

    Can't make this one ,looks like good forcast. Have fun see you soon

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    Upgrading myself now Saturday settled! And maybe putting the pressure on others....

    DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal

    RATHER UNLIKELY
    Peter

    MIGHT WELL BE, ABOUT TIME TOO
    Col

    OI, LOOK AT THIS THREAD MAJ AND COMMIT!
    Maj
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Although it looks as though I might be home late tonight, and despite moral pressure from Mal, I still don't know.,

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Can't make this one ,looks like good forcast. Have fun see you soon
    See you soon, Richard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Upgrading myself now Saturday settled! And maybe putting the pressure on others....

    OI, LOOK AT THIS THREAD MAJ AND COMMIT!
    Maj
    Come on, Maj. You know it makes sense!

    Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Although it looks as though I might be home late tonight, and despite moral pressure from Mal, I still don't know.,
    It sounds like Mal's moral pressure is slowly working on you!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    OI, LOOK AT THIS THREAD MAJ AND COMMIT!
    Maj


    Definite for Saturday - Will Colin be there...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post


    Definite for Saturday - Will Colin be there...
    Excellent....moral pressure worked ;-)

    DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal
    Maj

    RATHER UNLIKELY (but two more days to cave in!)
    Peter

    MIGHT WELL BE, ABOUT TIME TOO
    Col (come on, mate. Treat yourself to a paddle)

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Donsticity prevails, but should it fail, I will try hard. So don't wait for me.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Donsticity prevails, but should it fail, I will try hard. So don't wait for me.
    What does Donsticity mean?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    It means either I can't spell, or can't type and don't read too well either. But don't worry about me...I have had several days strong wind dinghy sailing on the sea, a trip from Four Mile Bridge to the sea and back, under the noisy efforts of the Royal Airforce leaner jet pilots, in my C1 and a trad boat descent of the Lower Tryweryn in the last few days.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    It means either I can't spell, or can't type and don't read too well either. But don't worry about me...I have had several days strong wind dinghy sailing on the sea, a trip from Four Mile Bridge to the sea and back, under the noisy efforts of the Royal Airforce leaner jet pilots, in my C1 and a trad boat descent of the Lower Tryweryn in the last few days.
    Sounds like you'll be knackered then! We'll see you if we see you.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Aldershot
    Posts
    612

    Default

    DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal
    Maj

    RATHER UNLIKELY (but two more days to cave in!)
    Peter

    Highly unlikely

    Col

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    I have caved in as I now only have to be domesticated at 2.00, so guess I could do a triggs in that time.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    DEFINITE
    Highly unlikely
    Col
    Sorry to hear that, Colin. Another time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    I have caved in as I now only have to be domesticated at 2.00, so guess I could do a triggs in that time.
    Glad you have caved in, albeit a partial caving!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Whats the plan foodwise? is anyone making fire?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Whats the plan foodwise? is anyone making fire?
    Me man, me make fire! OK, probably not, forecast to be more like cucumber sandwiches weather! Will probably just bring cold stuff.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  31. #31

    Default

    I am thinking of joining you too. But dont wait for me as my wife may have other plans.
    Tom

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomH1 View Post
    I am thinking of joining you too. But dont wait for me as my wife may have other plans.
    Tom
    TomH1, are you the dagger reflection Tom?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Whats the plan foodwise? is anyone making fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Me man, me make fire! OK, probably not, forecast to be more like cucumber sandwiches weather! Will probably just bring cold stuff.
    Maj, feel free to make fire if you want to! I'm also going cold.....vvvery cold. Ice cold sarnies and iced coffee and maybe a bag of ice to balance on my head.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomH1 View Post
    I am thinking of joining you too. But dont wait for me as my wife may have other plans.
    Tom
    Hi Tom. Great if you can make it. If not, another time.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    An excellent day, the Bowers Loop didn't disappoint, just enough tree dodging at the top to keep you on your toes.

    It was so warm, that some seemed to think a swim, or a wallow in mud for others, desirable. Turns out I haven't forgotten how to do a canoe over my canoe recovery... . I really need to remember the mantra "Picture first, rescue second", disappointed in myself!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the bank of the Basingstoke canal
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Who, hou, who?

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Who, who, who?
    Hou do you think It was my turn!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    An excellent day, the Bowers Loop didn't disappoint, just enough tree dodging at the top to keep you on your toes.

    It was so warm, that some seemed to think a swim, or a wallow in mud for others, desirable. Turns out I haven't forgotten how to do a canoe over my canoe recovery... . I really need to remember the mantra "Picture first, rescue second", disappointed in myself!
    Yup, a top day out and it was my pleasure to provide the cabaret entertainment, though I can't deny I'm disappointed at the lack of photos

    Huge thanks to everyone for a great day out and for the help and especially Mal for rescuing my boat, my shoe and my paddles. I was sorry to have missed the canoe recovery, but was doing my best Jacques Cousteau impression at the time!

    This is turning into an Oscars acceptance speech....but, thanks also to Mr Yellow Tractor himself for inspiring me to carry a full set of spare clothes in a dry bag. At least I picked a better season to go swimming!

    Jim

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post

    This is turning into an Oscars acceptance speech....but, thanks also to Mr Yellow Tractor himself for inspiring me to carry a full set of spare clothes in a dry bag. At least I picked a better season to go swimming!

    Jim

    At least it is less sweary than your immediate reaction at the time!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  39. #39

    Default

    Well done Jim sorry I missed it

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    At least it is less sweary than your immediate reaction at the time!
    Yeah, sorry about the cussing! Put me under pressure and I revert to type
    Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Well done Jim sorry I missed it
    Thank you, Richard. I have no plans for a repeat performance, but who knows....!
    Last edited by JimHou; 4th-June-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: wrong word - an age thing!

  41. #41
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Great paddle today, very eventful. I like the lunch spot we found, will remember that for future paddles.

    Thanks for organising and the entertainment jim, learned lots.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Aldershot
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    thanks also to Mr Yellow Tractor himself for inspiring me to carry a full set of spare clothes in a dry bag. At least I picked a better season to go swimming!

    Jim
    By carrying a full set of dry clothes, the plan is to create some good juju meaning you aren't going to need them :-)

    Not sorry that I missed your splash. I don't enjoy watching someone else suffer. I would have liked some photos though !!!!!

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    On the bank of the Basingstoke canal
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Glad you're ok Jim and pee'd off I missed it

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Thanks for organising and the entertainment jim, learned lots.
    Maj, thanks to you for dragging me up the bank out of the water. That took some muscles!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    By carrying a full set of dry clothes, the plan is to create some good juju meaning you aren't going to need them :-)

    Not sorry that I missed your splash. I don't enjoy watching someone else suffer. I would have liked some photos though !!!!!
    Yeah, I sort of hoped the carrying of spare clothes would mean I'd never need them! Still, they proved worthy of being lugged about on paddles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Glad you're ok Jim and pee'd off I missed it
    All fine thanks, Pete. Just a few bruises and a large dent in my pride

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Sorry to have rushed off yesterday, but I had a very tight time schedule to keep and only just made it. I was attacked by swan at the navigation to river transfer station, which was guarding its four cygnets which had been sunning themselves on the put in. Despite putting in myself under difficult conditions closer to the weir, and keeping far away from the mother and kids, father snook up on me after I had passed them and thumped the stern of the boat with wing and beak, unexpected and slightly unsettling. A first for me. The Facebook thread on the Hahn has been interesting, producing post by some of the usual suspects and one or two from very much in the past.

    As paddling it in a straight line takes continuous "racing" Js, I think Maj can save himself a search for perhaps the only other similar boat that might have survived.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Sorry to have rushed off yesterday, but I had a very tight time schedule to keep and only just made it. I was attacked by swan at the navigation to river transfer station, which was guarding its four cygnets which had been sunning themselves on the put in. Despite putting in myself under difficult conditions closer to the weir, and keeping far away from the mother and kids, father snook up on me after I had passed them and thumped the stern of the boat with wing and beak, unexpected and slightly unsettling. A first for me. The Facebook thread on the Hahn has been interesting, producing post by some of the usual suspects and one or two from very much in the past.

    As paddling it in a straight line takes continuous "racing" Js, I think Maj can save himself a search for perhaps the only other similar boat that might have survived.
    No worries for rushing off, Peter. We knew you were against the clock. I imagine the swan bashing was unsettling in the C1. At least you stayed upright, unlike me! The same swan wasn't so brave when we passed later on.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    That swan wasn't happy, and was clearly eyeing up the first canoe into the water, but when more followed he backed off and we just had words. He then let us off lightly. Maybe he thought you, Peter, were in a kayak
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nr Hampton Court, West London
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Mal, others have!!

  49. #49
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Lets see if this works




  50. #50
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Nice one of you Jim!


  51. #51
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Are the above photos resizing for folks or are the super massive?

  52. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Are the above photos resizing for folks or are the super massive?
    They're "normal" size for me, or maybe a tiny bit bigger than I normally post. Fine though.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  53. #53
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    They're "normal" size for me, or maybe a tiny bit bigger than I normally post. Fine though.
    So, the way have done this is to use the embed link on twitter and then select the static jpg url from there, bit of a faff but is this the way you do it Mal?

  54. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Nice one of you Jim!
    Thanks Maj. I can still produce a winning smile after an unplanned swim! I probably displaced enough water to flood the other loops ;-)

  55. #55
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Thanks Maj. I can still produce a winning smile after an unplanned swim! I probably displaced enough water to flood the other loops ;-)
    LOL, you did well under the circumstances. You picked a nice spot to go swimming though - that will forever be "Jim's spot" to me from now on. Planning on doing Shalford this coming Saturday if the weather holds out or maybe Bowers again, back to the revision...

  56. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey by the Wey
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Jim seems you "chose" a good weather day for your outing or was it an inning!

    Graham said thanks and has been practicing folding, not sure it is perfect yet but he has a week to test his skills while we shelter from the impending rain.

    Nice pics Maj, good to see everyone chilled.

  57. #57
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Folks,

    a selection of photos from the day can be found here:

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133289...57708893368396

    enjoy!

    Maj

  58. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    LOL, you did well under the circumstances. You picked a nice spot to go swimming though - that will forever be "Jim's spot" to me from now on. Planning on doing Shalford this coming Saturday if the weather holds out or maybe Bowers again, back to the revision...
    I shall fondly remember my spot whenever I pass! Looking a bit breezy on Saturday, but will keep an eye on it. I'm working Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickout View Post
    Jim seems you "chose" a good weather day for your outing or was it an inning!
    Graham said thanks and has been practicing folding, not sure it is perfect yet but he has a week to test his skills while we shelter from the impending rain.
    It was a hot day, but the water was surprisingly chilly!
    Good luck with the sail. It might double up as an umbrella!

  59. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Shefford, Central Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Looks like a great time was had by all. Great pics Maj.

    We will have to get there this summer, the only trouble is that i work saturdays, nights and days
    Simms ..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •