Thread: Courier

Default Courier

Evening..
    Canoe I'm looking to buy is 7hrs away
    Would use a courier to collect, seller is kind enough to shrink wrap canoe to protect it on journey...
    Has anyone used a courier for a canoe ?
    Who did u use ?
    Will shrink wrap be sufficient protection

TIA...Ricky

Believe there are a few couriers who might help, but it can be pricey.

What has worked before (though not always, depends on a bit of luck), is that folk have put a request out on Song of the Paddle, along the lines of "I need to get a canoe from x to y" and, perhaps for a share of the petrol costs and a pint, members who've already been doing that journey, or similar, have picked up the canoe and taken it along for the ride, dropping it off a lot closer to the destination than it started. There have even been "multiple leg" deliveries - as long as nobody is in a hurry and the folk involved have space to carry and temporarily store the canoe.

I know this has even helped one cross the Irish sea, and on several occasions between the South East and Scotland too.

Worth a go?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Also check out removals companies. They can sling a canoe from the roof well above the furniture. Often for a lot less than a courier.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

same question I just got a quote from downham market ,to here Barnstaple for a small duck boat,275 ouch.
    jon

Old thread, but for anyone still looking - try the online brokers. They get couriers who are doing the intended route to submit prices for you to choose from - they can be anyone from removals firms, to a man with a van. I forget the name of the ones I used, but Google and ye shall find.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.