Thread: Hello paddlers - old beginner

Default Hello paddlers - old beginner

Just registered here at what looks like a great learning resource, so a quick hello from a complete beginner. I've got the roof bars on, hood loops are fitted (useful tip no. 1) and am off to pick up an Old Town camper on Saturday. Due to age and fitness I needed a lightweight, which aren't cheap, so was lucky to get a bargain, barely used, and less than 1/2 the original purchase price. I'm looking forward to a (tentative) maiden voyage..

Welcome to our forum. It's good to have you on board. Where abouts are you?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hello and Welcome!

Nice canoe, congratulations on your imminent arrival!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks, i'm on the Surrey Hampshire border, the River Wey isn't far so i'll try that. Just need a licence and then find somewhere to launch from.
    edit: wow I found the river maps, impressive! It confirms Telford as a launch point, although I can see a fallen tree about 1/4 mile down river on Google maps
    Last edited by Nick A; 23rd-May-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Have a look on Paddlepoints for places to go.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Will do, a very impressive resource. I just ordered the stickers, i'll put them on when I work out which end is the front.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Welcome, Nick

There are quite a few of us regularly paddling on the Wey and you will be welcome to join us on a group paddle. We're never in a rush and speaking from experience, it's a great opportunity to pick up tips and meet friendly, like-minded folk. Keep an eye on the 'meets' section of the forum.

As Big Al said, Paddlepoints is the site to look at for launch points and also hazards, which are updated from time to time. I would say that the navigation part of the Wey is the easiest and safest place to start from to gain experience and a feel for your boat. Good launch points include the Tannery at Send and Broadford Bridge in Shalford.

Hopefully,see you on the Wey soon.
    Jim

Thanks for the tips Jim, i'll have a look, and I look forward to saying hello out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Thanks, i'm on the Surrey Hampshire border, the River Wey isn't far so i'll try that. Just need a licence and then find somewhere to launch from.
    edit: wow I found the river maps, impressive! It confirms Telford as a launch point, although I can see a fallen tree about 1/4 mile down river on Google maps
    Ah, another paddler has seen the Wey forward

I assume you mean Tilford? I wouldn't really recommend this section for a beginner, due to things like the fallen trees you mention, and there are also a few weirs. Add in the fact that access isn't so easy along here.

Instead, for your first trips head on to the Navigation part, so anything downstream of Godalming really. Its still lovely, but without the risk of getting caught in trees whilst learning to manoeuvre the canoe.

http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?RiverId=22

As Jim says, a group of us are often out there, keep your eye on the Meets section, you'd be very welcome to join us.

Also worth looking at the Basingstoke Canal, very rural & tranquil west of Fleet, and the perfect place to learn.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks for the advice Mal, potential disaster averted, i'll look at those alternative spots. I'm glad to have found some helpful experts. I have much to learn so will be scoping for any group activity.

Welcome. Well done on getting a bargain. Canoes hold their value well so you were lucky to both find one and get a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Will do, a very impressive resource. I just ordered the stickers, i'll put them on when I work out which end is the front.
    Pretty sure I included extra ones so you’ll be able to do both ends for when you paddle backwards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Welcome. Well done on getting a bargain. Canoes hold their value well so you were lucky to both find one and get a deal.

Pretty sure I included extra ones so you’ll be able to do both ends for when you paddle backwards
    Thanks, they arrived today while I was picking it up from Devon, a long drive but glad it was worth it. I got the river licence yesterday and with launch points kindly provided i'm just waiting for the buoyancy aid. I need this because having now sat in it, my initial bravado has been tinged with a sense of vulnerability

Nick, you mentioned getting licence. Join British canoeing. Will cover most rivers canals in uk. In peticular Basingstoke,wey and Thames.

Thanks, the membership fee is only £5 more than an annual Basingstoke licence, so silly not to.