Thread: Lake Vyrnwy North West end

Default Lake Vyrnwy North West end

Hi all,

I'm thinking about heading to Lake Vyrnwy North West end over a weekend soon for a bit of lake paddling on my pack raft.

I've had a search on the forum but there is nothing new (that I can see)

But on Google I've seen this

https://www.sitons.com/wheretokayak/...-vyrnwy-powys/
    which says
    "To launch you kayak it will cost you £4.50 for the day. You will be issued with a flag and a whistle from the boat house. You are restricted to a certain area of the reservoir, nevertheless, its still a pretty decent size areas for beginners to paddle on. You can’t launch your kayak unless someone is manning the boat house."

Can I just put in at the far North West end and have a play up at that end for a couple of hours without going to the boat house?

Cheers in advance

Ignorance may be your best approach, and the Packraft the perfect tool for a quiet launch. Possibly best on a day when the boat house ISN'T manned!

Water authorities and reservoirs don't tend to have an understanding of paddling, but like to restrict it as much as possible! Though strangely, fishing from rowing boats is often encouraged...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

I paddled Llyn Vyrnwy a couple of times about 15 years ago. We launched by the boathouse and had to pay £5 each time. We were told that we were not allowed beyond the distinctive white cottage about half way up, high in the trees on the eastern side, as the northern end is reserved for private fishing. We conformed, but I've walked and driven past the top of the lake many times and have never seen anyone fishing, either in a boat or on the shore.

I would have a scout around first and then launch at the top. The boathouse is right down by the dam, so even if manned, they won't see you at the top, but I do remember they nipped out in a motor launch every now and then. Stealth is the key and as Mal says, ignorance!

Here's one reason why you're told to stay close to the boathouse.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...r-lake-2816677

The story I was told a few years ago when I was there, was that a gust of wind caused the capsize. Don't know if that's true in this case, but I do know it can happen.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

That's sobering. I wasn't aware of that, so we must have been there earlier. The updated version of that news report states that they were poor swimmers and that the issued BAs might have been inadequate, although the operator was cleared of charges. When we were there a fighter jet swooped down over the lake, even disturbing the water slightly, which gave us a shock and a bumpy ride for a while. We were also told to keep well clear of the very decorative Victorian straining tower, for obvious reasons.

I doubt that the northern end of the lake is any more dangerous than the southern end. It just falls outside of the section licensed by the boathouse, so to paddle there, one must be aware that you're not supposed to be there and to carry out your own risk assessment. Something that we regularly do on a solo paddle.

[IMG][/IMG]i had the wife out on my dagger statos for a paddle at Lake Vyrnwy this weekend
    [IMG][/IMG]we had to pay a fiver at the boat house to launch, but I won’t be doing that again, I’ll be launching at the top of the lake from now on
    I wasn’t worried about my kids fighting, until, one of them screamed ........... “FIX BAYONETS”