Thread: Another video, canoe trolleys, someone was asking.

Default Another video, canoe trolleys, someone was asking.

I feel guilty that people are subscribing to my youtube channel when I haven't release any content for a while. So as someone was asking about canoe trolleys on facebook, I had some footage and stills, and all it needed to sort out was a trip into the garden, I made this. Who'd have thought I could stretch something so stupidly simple out to 4 minutes? Or that I'd go to this much bother to avoid cutting the lawn and hedge!

Not the best video I've made, there's a couple of points without demonstration, but I've put enough effort into this pointless exercise and people on youtube keep saying "done is better than perfect".

I really appreciate that the experienced regulars watch the videos even when they already know what I'm going to say and do, so if you guys spot anything wrong, shout up.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.
    (and my youtube channel)

As someone who is about to set out on a multi-portage trip this was useful revision! Thanks.

No probs, glad it's some use. Where you off to?
    (and my youtube channel)

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    No probs, glad it's some use. Where you off to?
    We are doing a cross-Scotland trip, Arrochar to Stirling Bridge. Lots of lochs to trolley between!

If you use 6mm rope for the forward attachment points, cut to the required length and attached to the thwarts using carabiners, then the trolley will be in the desired position when you tension the roof rack straps to the rear of the trolley. Takes the guesswork out of the initial positioning.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Sounds like fun Bananaboat, have fun, I'll be watching out for the blogg.

Al. If trolleying a lot, or going on a trip like Bananaboat where you know you'll need it, a precut setup would be a really good idea. Any chance of some pics of your setup?

I have to admit though, I strap down so rarely and am so disorganised I wouldn't have the precut kit with me when I needed it. My stupidity means I improvise a lot. There's a costume change in the video because I thought I'd forgotten the kit for showing 4 straps, so I changed and did some gardening, then remembered I always have spare tatt in the car.
    (and my youtube channel)

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post

Al. If trolleying a lot, or going on a trip like Bananaboat where you know you'll need it, a precut setup would be a really good idea. Any chance of some pics of your setup?
    I'll try for some pics tomorrow.

I tend to put my trolley under the front seat so that its nearer one end. This means the trolley is at a narrower section of the canoe, therefore the hull flexes less when under load. It also means that the lower end of the canoe is clear of the ground when someone taller is pushing or pulling the upper end.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Pretty much exactly how I attach my trolley to the boat for the few occasions I use it. The only difference being that I just use my two roofrack straps instead of your 4. By wrapping them round the thwarts a few times, I can still get it very stable so if it falls over it won't come off. The precut lengths makes sense, but I use the roofrack straps so I don't have to carry extra stuff with me (many people will be laughing now given how much crap I have in the Skoda Skip or with me on trips!).

I also go for centrally balanced, and tweak the "trim" with bags, though others like Al prefer biased to one end. For me, I'm almost always on my own, so having it perfectly balanced means I am merely pushing or pulling it along and never lifting any weight. I generally prefer pushing from the back, easy one handed with a balanced boat on a smooth track, and can do miles like this. When a steep climb appears, I find pulling easier, also when the going is rougher.

My only problem is that I always overload it, and using the C-Tug I eventually managed to melt the plastic over the metal axle shafts by going too fast with too much load. OK, there was 3 people's gear in it at the time, and it was on a smooth slightly downhill road so I was going at a good 3mph pace.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle